Blood Sugar - not eating enough / humidity

Options
MrsMizart
MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
Maybe a strange one.

If I don't eat within about 50 calroes of my guide in a day - I'm 50 years old, 5'8" and on 1280 calories a day (as per MFP guide) - then the next day I wake with a headache and feel very rough. It's the same when the weather is humid.

It's as thoughmy body needs the carbs as the only thing I've found that stops it is Coke, chocolate, and crisps.

This would be okay as it doesn't happen very often, but now that my diet is so much better, I don't like or want them, but I haven't found anything that works even half as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

My blood sugar level has been tested recently and it was fine via an early morning fasting test, which as I felt so bad was a bit of a surprise, albeit a welcome one :smile:

Replies

• cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem often. I find a long lasting carb before bed helps. I like a small plum or clementine.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Isn't it annoying!

I hadn't thought of those. Will try tonight as today's humidity means the headache is still with me.

Do you find they work when it's humid? You know that horrible feeling as the humidity kicks in and everything feels too hot and too heavy.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/exercise-snacks-to-control-blood-sugar/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Plus, 1280 doesn't sound like enough calories, even though that is what MFP recommended. I use this calculator, which I feel is more accurate.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you RA.

I can't use the links (on an iPad). It's not copying them either. No doubt I'm being dense as I'm not the most technical person :sad:
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have blood sugar problems and low barometric pressure causes me to have headaches when I wake up as well. I find a piece of citrus type fruit helps and restorative yoga for 20 to 30 minutes before bed to relax your organs helps as well
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? What about vitamins?
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you folks :)

Could well be the air pressure. I'be done more pilates than yoga, so will try that and the cirrus fruit before bed (though for some reason my brain thinks citrus fruit before sleep is wrong).

I have roughly term glasses of water a day. Hardly ever used to drink it, or anything very much, but now love it!

Supplements: calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin C, D, E, B6, Omega Oils 3, 6, & 9, iron, plant sterols, and a Berroca Boost.

Have checked calories and that seems right for aiming for 2lbs a week loss, which as I can and do go over, keeps a mental hold (it makes sense to me! ). However I will reassess :)
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's probably because you need the carbs. Don't demonized them because the "diet and fitness industry" has done so. Also 1280 calories doesn't seem like enough. I know that for those who are older the metabolism can slow down due to age and muscle deterioration but I highly doubt 1200 calories will be sufficient for normal function.
    Also I am not sure what your weight loss goals are (10lb vs 100lb), but the 2lb per week can be very unrealistic in most cases.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your calorie goal is too low for you. MFP calculator is based on averages, and not everyone is average. According to MFP I should maintain on 1500 cals/day.... but I lose on 1800 cals/day.

You could try other calorie calculators and see what numbers they give you, and try a higher number for a while and see how it goes.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you both :)

I aim to lose 71lbs, probably over about a year, although sooner would be nice.

Had a look around the 'net and it seems to be between 1200 and 1600, so I'll aim for 1500 and see how it goes :)