Under Dr. Threat

Options
Went to the Dr this week and was blown away when I stepped on the scale and it almost hit 300lbs... Dr told me that I've put on 20lbs since seeing him last year and he was not happy. I told him my wife was doing MFP and he very sternly told me that if I wanted to see my 4 kids grow up to have kids that I better get on here, so here I is... need to drop 108 to get to my LTG. So here we go... Ugh I hate saying no to food....lol

Replies

• PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    You're not saying no to food, you're saying hello to life. You can do this and you have the support of your wife to help you. MFP and your friends will help you too.

You have a journey to take, we all do

Good Luck and I'm happy to see you've already taken your first step
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • pamleac
    pamleac Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take your weight, divide it by 2, and start drinking water. Water with lemon, iced tea, hot tea, black coffee. I am drinking low calorie Gatorade. They are 32 oz. bottles. Drink the Gatorade, refill it with water. I'm peeing a lot, but that's good. It's a much better color than what it was with Mountain Dew. LOL
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Good decision my man. Here's a few simple tips that might help.

Log everything, as accurately as you possibly can. I even suggest for a few days you eat like you always have, just log it. Really see what you've been doing to yourself all these years. It's an eye opener.

The app is just a tool. It's about being honest with yourself and having the knowledge about what you're putting in your body.

A lot of times just doing that will be enough to inspire you to make a change.

You'll have a lot of learning to do, but you don't need to do it all at once. This is the start of something new for you. And you can do it without giving up the foods you love. You'll just be a bit more responsible from now on, and that's a good thing.

Really great advice.

And you're not saying no to food, hon - I still eat things I enjoy (steak for dinner last night, noms). Don't view this as a diet, view it as a new way to live.

Good luck!
  • BusyBirdMommy
    Options
    I know the feeling. I had the "Doctor lecture" as well. My last pregnancy was particularly disconcerting (just 2 years ago). I wish you the best of luck! It's past time for us to get healthy!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool for healthy weight loss. You won't lose at "Biggest Loser" speeds, but tracking food and activity will allow you to gain health as you lose weight. Enjoy the journey!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Went to the Dr this week and was blown away when I stepped on the scale and it almost hit 300lbs... Dr told me that I've put on 20lbs since seeing him last year and he was not happy. I told him my wife was doing MFP and he very sternly told me that if I wanted to see my 4 kids grow up to have kids that I better get on here, so here I is... need to drop 108 to get to my LTG. So here we go... Ugh I hate saying no to food....lol

If you are a food lover like me then no need to do without. Read the forums and you'll learn you can eat anything you like just a bit less.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and watch some episodes of "SuperSized vs SuperSkinny." It's a show from the UK about the extremes in eating. Perhaps it will give you an idea about portion control and what you are putting in your body. I have found it very motivating.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi nice to meet you and welcome to MFP. I am glad you are taking your doctors words and starting a new journey for both you and your family :) There is so much knowledge here and so much to learn. Start by logging everything, everyday and make sure you weigh your food. Even if you go over your calories at first it sometimes really shows us and wakes us up when we see just how much we are putting into our body :) Remember there are no bad foods, this is about creating a new healthier lifestyle and sometimes that lifestyle should include some not so healthy choices to make sure it is realistic and something we can sustain Over time you will learn how to incorporate those foods into your daily food intake so you are not going over calories, its all about balance :) You can do this just remember there will be some days you will fall. Just keep getting back up and moving forward and nothing can stop you :) I am going to send you a friend request if thats ok :)
  • PrissyPisces
    PrissyPisces Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good decision my man. Here's a few simple tips that might help.

Log everything, as accurately as you possibly can. I even suggest for a few days you eat like you always have, just log it. Really see what you've been doing to yourself all these years. It's an eye opener.

The app is just a tool. It's about being honest with yourself and having the knowledge about what you're putting in your body.

A lot of times just doing that will be enough to inspire you to make a change.

You'll have a lot of learning to do, but you don't need to do it all at once. This is the start of something new for you. And you can do it without giving up the foods you love. You'll just be a bit more responsible from now on, and that's a good thing.

He is so right about this. Being forced to measure, log in, weigh, portion, and make better food choices has me like....."Well damn! No wonder why I'm so big!" I was eating cookies, cheesecakes, and all that other CRAP that gives you temporary satisfaction, but a TON of consequences. You just have to ask yourself is it really worth it? Are those bad foods worth sacrificing the quality and longevity of your life? HELL NO! LOL! It's a challenge, and I've just started MFP a few days ago, but I'm determined. First you have to change your mindset, and the rest will follow. YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU GOT THIS!

P.S. You don't have to let the foods you love go completely. You can ALWAYS have those things (ALWAYS meaning for the rest of your life. Not all day everyday. LOL!), but it MUST be in moderation. No more than one serving a week, and it HAS to stay within your daily calorie balance.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're doing this and that you're listening to your doctor. My dad was always obese (often hovered around 300lbs), and he ended up with diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Three days after my wedding day, he died of a sudden, explosive heart attack. He never watched what he ate or listened to his doctor's warnings.

Do it for you, your wife, and your kids. You don't want to hurt your children the way my dad hurt all of us, especially at a time that was supposed to be the happiest of my life. If you even think about giving up, think about what the cost is. Are four doughnuts in one sitting worth it? Most likely not. Everything in moderation, plenty of water, plenty of exercise. You can do it!
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement folks, I'm hoping I can make this work. I started noticing that I was doing the "fat man walk" where you kinda sway from side to side as you step... That's gotta stop...lol Logging food is eye opening! WOW.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

When I told my doctor I was using MFP he got really excited and told me how he dropped 30 lbs with it (he was up to 200 for the first time in his life). He said his wife was supportive at first, but then she got mad that he lost weight and she didn't so she started throwing all the food bar codes in the trash before he could scan them. :tongue:
  • BeardedYoung
    Options
    Maybe she liked him a lil chunky... lol
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Mostly, it's a matter of numbers and sticking to them. Calculate how much you should be eating, log everything, and try to hit that number. Don't sweat the little things. Just stick with eating the correct number of calories (which should be a reasonable number). Exercise a little more.

Repeat every day.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It might seem a little counterintuitive, but when you make changes to your diet, begin with the things you need to ADD, like more water, more fruits/veggies, adding fruits/veggies/fiber to "unhealthy" favorites. You may find that in some cases the things you need to subtract may take of themselves.

I would give myself permission to drink any soda I wanted AFTER I had my 12-16 oz of water. Guess how much soda I usually end up drinking? lol
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Everyday I choose what I eat. It's hard but if you choose instead of forcing yourself not to eat. Just a mind set but I work hard to remember that. I can eat whatever I want to . I chose not to. Okay most of the time. You can do it. And yeah I have to say no a lot but I feel way better.
  • BeardedYoung
    Options
    One thing in my corner is I LOVE veggies! The Dr. said that may be what helps me because my sugar levels are great and my cholesterol is under 200. I try and get as many dark leafy greens like spinach and kale as I can. Baby spinach disappears in any smoothie with berries. Its either the Veggies or the Stache ;)

Water is also where I got to focus. I drink way too many Zero carb/cal Energy Drinks to stay awake.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would give myself permission to drink any soda I wanted AFTER I had my 12-16 oz of water. Guess how much soda I usually end up drinking? lol

LOL this is a good idea!