Suggestions for whey protein powder

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I'm looking to boost protein consumption while limiting fat. A friend of mine suggested I try Muscle Milk protein powder + apple sauce. I gave it a shot (using Pro Series 50 Intense Vanilla) and it was just sickeningly sweet to me.

Anyone have any suggestions for using this stuff that doesn't taste like you are basically eating pure sugar? Or maybe a different brand? My friend likes the Muscle Milk powder because he says it dissolves better than other powders. I haven't tried any other brands.

Replies

• EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey chocolate. Not too sweet, but more importantly there is no sucralose.

If you want to use what you got, I suggest adding it to fruit smoothies or baking it into other food. There are good recipes on here for protein bread and the like.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein brand.

150 cals
    3 g fat
    25g protein
    2 g sugar

It's the only protein powder I've ever used, so I can't say how it compares to others. I have both the Vanilla and Chocolate and neither are overwhelmingly sweet IMO.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V5LXEI/ref=s9_hps_bw_g121_i2
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I use Designer Whey chocolate. Not too sweet, but more importantly there is no sucralose.

If you want to use what you got, I suggest adding it to fruit smoothies or baking it into other food. There are good recipes on here for protein bread and the like.

What's the skinny on sucralose?
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bulkpowders.co.uk

Best and cheapest for me.
  • EmpireBusiness
    Options

Evidence is debatable and for all intents and purposes it's fine.
    My chem teacher (worked in medical and food industry, father won noble prize and he was a writer for MCAT) told me the **** is bad. He would even argue that **** with the chemists who make it. He made his point to me and it made sense, so I trust it. I already avoided it anyways because it makes me feel sick and stupid.

A long while back I started drinking diet pepsi and I can't describe myself then much better than stupid. I really noticed a change in my mental performance. I couldn't figure it out for weeks until I dropped the diet ****. A week later I was back to normal. Sometimes I will start feeling the same way again and I instantly check labels. I always discover something new I bought has sucralose in it and feel better after I stop consuming it. This is just my experience. It's totally anecdotal. People should do what they like. I personally avoid it like the plague.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

My chem teacher (worked in medical and food industry, father won noble prize and he was a writer for MCAT) told me the **** is bad. He would even argue that **** with the chemists who make it. He made his point to me and it made sense, so I trust it. I already avoided it anyways because it makes me feel sick and stupid.

A long while back I started drinking diet pepsi and I can't describe myself then much better than stupid. I really noticed a change in my mental performance. I couldn't figure it out for weeks until I dropped the diet ****. A week later I was back to normal. Sometimes I will start feeling the same way again and I instantly check labels. I always discover something new I bought has sucralose in it and feel better after I stop consuming it. This is just my experience. It's totally anecdotal. People should do what they like. I personally avoid it like the plague.

Ah thanks for the info! I'll skip my shake tomorrow and see if I feel any sort of difference!
  • EmpireBusiness
    Options

Ah thanks for the info! I'll skip my shake tomorrow and see if I feel any sort of difference!

For me it took a good week to notice a difference, but this is just me. I could have some allergy to it. Don't feel the need to change your habits based on my individual experience.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I find muscle milk chocolate flavor to taste pretty good particularly in a shake, but I switched off of it because its high in carbs(added calories). I opt for optimum gold standard whey when I am trying to get a good nutrient mix for a good price, tastes bland and doesn't dissolve well. My favorite protein powder after trying about 40 different kinds of powder is dynamatize hydrolized whey protein. A bit more expensive but it dissolves nearly instantly has only 106 calories, and 25 grams of protein. It also tastes pretty good.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I've been using CarboPro Interphase Hypertrophy Matrix. Lately I've been buying the French vanilla flavor to mix in smoothies, but I like the taste of chocolate as a recovery drink
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure. It's carb-free and has potassium, sodium and other nutrients. Like a sports drink without the sugar. I have a scoop (1/2 serving) each day at the gym. They have powders and ready-made drinks (great for trying out the flavors). I've tried Alpine Punch and Strawberry Cream. Like Strawberry Cream the best. Just me, though. I have friends who swear by the Sour Apple flavor. :)
  • 6stringfendergirl
    Options
    Hello,

Im new here so please be patient with me I'm learning the process here, but looking forward to getting to now everyone and taking in all the information and suggestions. Ive recently lost 100lbs and have just a few 55 to go to meet my goal. I was reading the question on Whey Protein powders. I would like to suggest what I have been using for a few years. Ive been using Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate Powder. They are awesome and come in great flavors:

Chocolate Truffle
    Vanilla Bean Torte
    Power Cappuccino
    Fuzzy Navel
    Double Stuffed Cookie
    Strawberry Mousse
    Roadside Lemonade
    Strawberry Kiwi
    Twisted Cherry
    Wild Grape
    Apple Ecstasy
    Caribbean Cooler
    Crystal Sky

There is no need for a shaker cup, they mix great in a glass with water and a spoon and are more like a fruit drink. I like to put them in a blender and mix with flash frozen fruit when fresh isn't available, and ice and make a smootie or like a slushie. I get them from Amazon from a company called Vitacost they are very inexpensive considering the price of most of these products. I'm not sure if Im allowed to say that, if not I'm sorry. I'm not meaning to advertise, I'm just a common person, not a company. It's taken me many years, on a fixed income being disabled from a broken back to find something I can afford and just want to help others in todays economy be able to afford as well.

I also take supplements from another company that have like 96 different nutrients and minerals, and that is when I really started shedding. One is a tea you drink every other day, that is a detox. That is a tad pricey, but it has been worth it. I had no choice, I had to loose the weigh of an entire person. When I broke my back, all the medications and steroids doubled my weight. I recently refused any narcotic pain medications, and that has helped me as well. I don't really notice any difference in the pain. but a difference in my desire to want to get up and motivate. My exercise is limited, and that is a real big problem, but I can get out and walk about 15 minutes at a time, I just do it several times a day instead of all at once. Maybe once I get more weight off I will be able to exercise more and longer periods of time. I'm just glad I've been able to lose this much and keep it off for a year and still losing.

Glad to meet you all and hope to be able to learn something new and maybe pass on a few hints I've used over the time I've been losing my weight.

Thanks

Kelly
  • claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dream whey protein (dutch chocolate). Yum. I use it in smoothies or to make mock hot chocolate (dairy/sugar free too).
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    I always end up going back to Wholefoods 365 chocolate flavored. It only has about 17g per serving but the taste is wonderful. Not too sweet.