Preparing for 5k - Advice/Help Needed.

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
Let me start off with a little background info. I started my weight loss journey at 257lbs and 214lbs. I started off with walking and working out to bachbody dvds. Along the way I decided to give C25K a try because I always wanted to run. The plan was just to build my endurance up and loose weight. I had no plans on doing an actual 5k race, it was a for fun thing. I only have 3days of C25K left.

One of the nurse I work with were talking the other day. She commented on how good I looked and asked me what I was doing. I told her that I was doing c25k as part of my workout. She is in a running club. So she said well when are you doing your first run? With a stupid look on my face I said what do you mean? I told her I had no intention on doing an actually race any time soon. She told me well no The fiddlers 5k run is in Oct we should do it togehter. I told her she was crazy. She told me to stop thinking about it and just say yes. I told her no but she continued with the just say yes. She then ignored my "no", told me that I would be fine and promised she would be beside me every step of the way. No matter how fast, slow or stop for a little walk she would stay by my side. She told me that it was something I just needed to do and that it would be great for me and I would fall in love with it and it would start my racing career. Anyways needles to say by the end of it, I agreed to it.

When it comes to my running I am able to go about 25-30mins before I have to stop. It still kind of slow. I tracked my distance today and in the 30mins I was able to go 3km. It was flat ground but that is a lot farther then I expected. So my question is how do I manage to build my self up to the 5k point on ground that has a small incline to it? The race is Oct 19th. Is there anything special I should do over the next 3months to prepare for it? Any recommendation for a good set of running shoes? I know I should just have fun on my first but I want to actually be able to run the course and not have to walk most of it. I am experiencing a little pain in my right heel after a few days of running and I just want to kind to the point where it don't bother or affect my feet.

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time to make it to the 5k mark. I started my running 3 years ago in July specifically to run a 5k race. I made the distance by September and then ran a race in October. You definitely can do this. The trick is to get comfortable with being UNcomfortable. You are going to have to push yourself just a **little** bit farther every so often so you can make that distance. Once you actually make the distance, you can worry about how fast you do it.

I was scared to death the first time I ran a 5k. I think most folks are the first time. Now I win age group awards. (not too bad for an old lady!!) Just give it a shot and have fun. You may end up addicted like so many of us!!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    My best advice for running a 5K is not to worry about how long it takes you to run it. Just run it. The only person you're competing against is yourself, and since you've never "officially" done a 5K, whatever time you achieve will be a personal best.

Worry about getting faster for the next race. I ran my first 5K before I finished the C25K program, and lived to tell the tale. You will too.

For running shoes, I don't think there's a one type suits all for that. Your best bet is to find a store that specializes in such things and let them measure your feet, etc and recommend a pair.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Keep practicing and you'll finish 5k in October. It's just the continuation of what you've done since starting C25K. Don't worry about it ... there are always a lot of first timers on the course and some will make you look blazingly fast (ok, some will be done with their post race snacks by the time you get to the 2k mark as well ... but don't worry about those freaks of nature).

If you don't have good running shoes now, go get a fitting and find the right shoes to fit your foot and running style. Since your new running partner is a member of a running group, take advantage of that and have your running form checked out. Proper form and the right basic equipment go a long way to mitigating injury.

On race day, line up near the back and go for a run. Let the fast people take off on their run, keep to your own pace, and put one foot in front of the other until you cross the finish line remembering to look your best at that point because there is always a photographer there. Then there's snacks.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    My best advice for running a 5K is not to worry about how long it takes you to run it. Just run it. The only person you're competing against is yourself, and since you've never "officially" done a 5K, whatever time you achieve will be a personal best.

Worry about getting faster for the next race. I ran my first 5K before I finished the C25K program, and lived to tell the tale. You will too.

For running shoes, I don't think there's a one type suits all for that. Your best bet is to find a store that specializes in such things and let them measure your feet, etc and recommend a pair.

i agree.

your first 5k should just be about getting the hang of the experience. you might realize you hate the atmosphere and decide never to race again.

dont worry about how fast you are going, especially since there are more than likely going to be some rules you arent used to, like the no running with headphones.

as far as preparing, were you training on a treadmill? maybe take your run outdoors and get your body used to dealing with outdoor stuff like having to run around people, dealing with changes in the road/sidewalk, etc
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for running shoes

Add mileage slowly. Don't worry about speed. Don't listen to anyone telling you to run sprint intervals right now.

Some of this is will be old info for you, but it should still be useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you continue on your walk/run program and commit to training at least 3x a week. Make yourself some type of goal board/calendar with stickers and glitter & glue to follow your training program up to the race.

Have your friend recommend a running shoe store so you can get fitted for proper running shoes & don't forget to get some decent socks too.

You can do this. First, your main concerns for attending your first 5K should be as follows...in this order:

(1) Show up to the race on time
    (2) Pee before you start
    (3) Cross the finish line upright, uninjured and before they haul the 'FINISH" sign away (if it means walking some of it fast, then do it--don't be a "hero" and injure yourself on your first race)

The heel pain needs to be addressed...it's possible it could be the start of Plantar Fasciitis...Google it and look at the symptoms, causes and cures--believe me, you don't want to go there.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice everyone. I am a bit nervous and excited all rolled in one.

meshashesha20 - No I am not running on a treadmill. I have been using the local in door or outdoor walking tack. So it is all one level but I do sometimes have to figure out how to get around other walkers. I might take your suggestion and start running around town instead. Try out a different atmosphere. I'm also not sure about the rules. It is more of a fun run for the most part.

boatsie77 - I don't think the issue is Plantar Fasciitis. I am use to being on hard floors for long periods of times. I think the problem is while I have great shoes for work but I need better ones for running.

brianpperkins - I never thought about my forum or the way I run determine the actual shoe that I buy. I will ask her to take a look at my running for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The race is Oct 19th. Is there anything special I should do over the next 3months to prepare for it?

Move onto a 10K plan when you finish the 5K plan, that'll bring you up to bein able to comfortably run 5Km in a good time. There is plenty of time to do that and get comfortable with it.
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Girl, you've got this. You're already running 3K in 30 minutes! Just keep up what you're doing. Big kudos to your running buddy- she's exactly what you need-someone who believes in you and will support you. I'm cheering for you!
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You have already received so much GREAT advice! You CAN do this!

When you are fitted for shoes by a proper running store, they will have you do random things like "walk in a straight line," "do a few squats," and "jog from here to there." What they are doing is looking at your body mechanics and how your footsies work so they can accurately decide what types of shoes are appropriate for you and how you move. Pay attention to their feedback on how you pronate/supinate, what your natural footstrike is, and what kind of arches are you rocking! This will help you in future shoe purchasing endeavors. Your feet are unique and beautiful snowflakes! You will find your magic shoe!

Now that you've nearly completed the C25K, you can probably progress on to a formal 5K training regimen like this: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml. Or, if you're not comfortable where you're at now, you could just repeat C25K and focus on building more endurance and speed now that you've "been there done that." There really is no bad way to train, especially since you're already pulling 3K in 30 minutes. With proper shoes and a little more time on the pavement, you're going to find it easy if you just keep doing the AWESOME things you are doing!!

You have a lot of time and you will find that you are going to be a completely different runner in 12-13 weeks than you are right now. Just keep running. Trust your training and listen to your body. Don't forget to stop and CELEBRATE all of the miles your powerful body has endured. Go get 'em runner!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The race is Oct 19th. Is there anything special I should do over the next 3months to prepare for it?

Move onto a 10K plan when you finish the 5K plan, that'll bring you up to bein able to comfortably run 5Km in a good time. There is plenty of time to do that and get comfortable with it.

I second this! This was going to be my advice to you!
  • Caper88
    Options
    MeanderingMam & RunnerElizabe - thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about just moving right into the C210k program. My thought would be to just keep practicing c25k but it makes sense that moving on is going to make me more comfortable with 5k.

CAC10456 - Thanks for cheering me on. It great to know someone believes in me. She told me that I needed to do it because I needed a goal to continue on my journey for the next few months and not stop the running in a few days when my c25k is over with. So far my longest goals have only been about 30days. It does feel nice to know that she believes that I will be able to do a 5k run. It makes me a little excited and nervous all mix into one.

vegwrangler - I looked at the program and I am not sure if I am there with my intensity yet. I do think you have a point that I need to move off the level track and start running a little incline and on real elements. So maybe I will switch to running around town once I officially finish C25K.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and support. I will have to do a NSV after my first official run in Oct.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here already. Sounds like you are making great progress. Nearer your race find out what time it starts and practice what you are going to eat and drink to fit with the start time on the day . For example- if the race starts at 11am try eating at 8am then going on a practice run at 11am. I find evening races the hardest to organise eating as I would normally eat an evening meal at 5.30 pm (but can't before a race as I can't run on a full stomach ). Don't worry too much about having to walk in the race- I have done loads of races and have walked in nearly all. I find I get an overall faster time if I plan my walk breaks (eg walk for 1min every 5 mins) rather than running to exhaustion then having an unplanned break. Good luck with your training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    MeanderingMam & RunnerElizabe - thanks for the suggestion. I never thought about just moving right into the C210k program. My thought would be to just keep practicing c25k but it makes sense that moving on is going to make me more comfortable with 5k.

I knocked about 8 minutes off my 5K time by training for 10K, and in half marathon training I've knocked another 5 off so far.