One week to whip my butt in as much shape as I can. Help?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I would run and walk on alternate days, and rest the day before the event. Run on the type of terrain you will encounter (probably not a road).

If there are obstacles, like walls or crawling, you will want to train for those too.
    I was wondering if taking the time to do some extra stretching and flexibility type things would help so that my muscles might be more relaxed?

*******Don't stretch within an hour of needing to use muscles, because it weakens them.*******

To minimize soreness, start drinking 12 ounces of tart cherry juice each day. There are numerous studies on PubMed about this.

Cherimoose, (sorry OP, totally off topic, but I'm curious), don't all athletes stretch just before they perform or am I missing something? I was always taught to do some stretches before I run to warm my muscles up, aaaagh, help, somebody, am I doing more harm than good???
    Stretching before running is a bit of a controversy some people do others don't. There are no real studies either way. I personally never stretch but I know others do. This link is interesting it puts both sides of the argument in the end it comes down to what works for you

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretch-or-not-stretch
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    As for the original post. in reality your not going to do anything in reality to improve your fitness in a week. There is a chance if you start something new you'll do yourself more harm than good for the event. So i would just do what you normally do
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would run and walk on alternate days, and rest the day before the event. Run on the type of terrain you will encounter (probably not a road).

If there are obstacles, like walls or crawling, you will want to train for those too.
    I was wondering if taking the time to do some extra stretching and flexibility type things would help so that my muscles might be more relaxed?

*******Don't stretch within an hour of needing to use muscles, because it weakens them.*******

To minimize soreness, start drinking 12 ounces of tart cherry juice each day. There are numerous studies on PubMed about this.

Cherimoose, (sorry OP, totally off topic, but I'm curious), don't all athletes stretch just before they perform or am I missing something? I was always taught to do some stretches before I run to warm my muscles up, aaaagh, help, somebody, am I doing more harm than good???
    Stretching before running is a bit of a controversy some people do others don't. There are no real studies either way. I personally never stretch but I know others do. This link is interesting it puts both sides of the argument in the end it comes down to what works for you

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretch-or-not-stretch

Very interesting, thanks for that link!! :flowerforyou:
  • _Zardoz_
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity, but if you can get your hands on that - i would go with it.
    So you're suggesting a week before an event someone who has never trained for it starts Insanity,

Holy Zarquons Singing Fish!! of all the ridiculous ideas that appear on this forum that is one of the best
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    One week?

You're not really going to be able to train properly so assuming you are in okay shape and will respect your body's current limitations and use good judgement the things you can do to give yourself the best chance are...

- sleep well during this week
    -eat healthy during this week
    -do not get a hangover the night before the event
    -don't get a nasty sunburn or blisters during this week
    -stretch daily but do NOT over do that some people still think "bounce" means stretching
    -hydrate properly during this week
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Insanity, but if you can get your hands on that - i would go with it.
    So you're suggesting a week before an event someone who has never trained for it starts Insanity,

Holy Zarquons Singing Fish!! of all the ridiculous ideas that appear on this forum that is one of the best
    I know.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Do burpees and sprints for the first 3 or 4 days, then rest with some walking. Bring some raisins for the 24 hours. They're light and have lots of carbs for energy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One week?

If you've been exercising regularly, consider taking that week off or dialing way back as a kind of taper for the extra activity. If you haven't, then do some walking. Actually, do some walking even if it's the first scenario.

But honestly, there is almost zero change you can make in your physical preparedness in one week other than ensuring you're as rested as possible for the activity.

I agree completely. You aren't going to be able to make any appreciable conditioning gains in a week.

I would like to add that you will want to make sure that the shoes/boots that you will be wearing are ones that give you good traction and stability if you are traipsing about the woods at night. They should be broken in so that you don't get blisters from being on your feet all day/night. Smartwool type socks should help. Carry moleskin with you just in case. Blisters SUCK. Bring lots of snacks, especially the caffeinated kind. Go as light as you can in your pack, it sounds like you won't be sleeping anyway.

Get some rest, make sure you've eaten and are geared up and have fun. It sounds like a blast, I would totally do it, even though I'd pay for it later :laugh:

Thirded or forthed.

Pace yourself. and eat properly.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what I should to do to try and get myself in as best shape as I can between now and uh, next Friday evening.
    I agree with the people saying to keep up with the walking (maybe add some weight to your backpack), but otherwise get lots of rest, eat well, drink lots, good shoes, bug spray, etc.
    Don't stretch within an hour of needing to use muscles, because it weakens them.
    Since you're the one making the assertion, you should be posting links to the study summaries which support your opinion.
    (Even better, a link to the free complete published article, found through google scholar.)
    It's lazy to say "go look it up", and makes me think you can't back up your ideas.

I just did a google scholar search on [tart cherry juice muscle soreness] and found some examples which support what you've said, but not everyone knows how to find research, and not everyone knows how to tell the difference between real research which can be trusted (things published on PubMed & google scholar) and bogus "research" which should be ignored (things from blogs, people's unsupported opinions, etc.).
    Holy Zarquons Singing Fish!! of all the ridiculous ideas that appear on this forum that is one of the best.
    This made me LOL! :laugh: I may have to borrow that.