Belly Tips

Options
Ok, so I've lost weight and got to 145lbs. I am 5"9". I feel great butttttttt I've still got a belly! How do I get rid of this. I am cool with losing another 5 lbs but I know that won't take care of my problem - I have weighed 140lbs before and well the belly was still there.

My diary is pretty clean as far as im concerned. Yes I had some french fries and icecream today but this was a treat. Where do I need work on? My diet more strict? Exercise more? Do more core workouts? What is it? Thanks

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Your body will lose fat wherever it is genetically predisposed to lose fat from, first. The only way to lose your belly is to lose fat all over. Youdo this my staying ina calorie deficit, while lifting heavy weights.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm also very close to my "ideal" weight and my belly is NOT how I was expecting it to be by now :( I also treat myself once in a while, danish, pizza , hamburgers etc etc and I'm afraid there is our answer (no treats?) I hope not!
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce fat, so if its a very fat belly you have you may just keep up the diet and cardio exercises and youll lose it. If its just a bit of fat I'd recommend doing cardio and core exercises such as sit ups, crunchs, leg raises and plank. I hope you see a difference soon :) I joined this site to get rid of my belly, and so far I have lost 1.5 inches of fat from it. Add me if you like.
    Dont give up :) I'm sure you can get rid of it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    I'm also very close to my "ideal" weight and my belly is NOT how I was expecting it to be by now :( I also treat myself once in a while, danish, pizza , hamburgers etc etc and I'm afraid there is our answer (no treats?) I hope not!

No, this is wrong. You can have treats, if they fit into your goals. (I had cookies last night.) Treats won't hinder fat loss, only a calorie surplus will do that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Your body will lose fat wherever it is genetically predisposed to lose fat from, first. The only way to lose your belly is to lose fat all over. You do this by staying in a calorie deficit, while lifting heavy weights.

^This!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • bfanny
    Options
    "You can't spot reduce"
    I know that, but if my legs and arms are as skinny as they can be, then what's the answer? Like I don't expect a 6 pack but a flat belly yes, why not? Should I/we keep losing weight until we get there???
    Anyways thanks OP for this question :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    You cant spot reduce fat, so if its a very fat belly you have you may just keep up the diet and cardio exercises and youll lose it. If its just a bit of fat I'd recommend doing cardio and core exercises such as sit ups, crunchs, leg raises and plank. I hope you see a difference soon :) I joined this site to get rid of my belly, and so far I have lost 1.5 inches of fat from it. Add me if you like.

This makes no sense. This person admits that you can't spot reduce, yet continues onto suggest exercises to isolate the area in question...you can't spot reduce, so core exercises like crunches, leg raises and sit ups aren't going to do anything to the fat covering the belly. You can have the strongest core in the world, but if there is fat on the abs, you will have fat on the abs.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    "You can't spot reduce"
    I know that, but if my legs and arms are as skinny as they can be, then what's the answer? Like I don't expect a 6 pack but a flat belly yes, why not? Should I/we keep losing weight until we get there???

The answer is heavy weights. Lift heavy weights 3-4 times a week. No, you will not get bulky. ;)
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. This person admits that you can't spot reduce, yet continues onto suggest exercises to isolate the area in question...you can't spot reduce, so core exercises like crunches, leg raises and sit ups aren't going to do anything to the fat covering the belly. You can have the strongest core in the world, but if there is fat on the abs, you will have fat on the abs.

Im suggesting this to help tone up the belly area.
  • bfanny
    Options

• usmcmp
    Options
    "You can't spot reduce"

If you still have belly fat that means you still have fat. Chances are that it's just the last place to go on you. Most of us suggest strength training at this point. It will help preserve lean mass and mean you have to lose less weight in the long run. The problem with WEIGHT loss is that you lose fat and muscle. When you lift you keep more muscle and lose mostly fat. That's why I added the link above.

Sometimes people get to low body weight and have lots of belly or thigh fat still because they have lower than average lean mass (often comes from not being athletic growing up or yo-yo dieting). If you are reaching the low end of the BMI scale you will need to add muscle to lose the last of the fat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

I'm sorry, but those exercises are not going to "tone" anything. "Toned" just means a lack of fat over a body part. You lose fat through a calorie deficit and lifting weights to preserve muscle mass. If you want a "toned" look, you need to lose that fat over those areas, and those exercises will not do that. Good luck with your goals, let me know if you have any further questions. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add point out: I have worked hard enough for abs that many people refer to as "toned". Guess how many situps/crunches I did to get them? A big fat zero. None at all. I lifted heavy weights.
  • usmcmp
    Options

You can strengthen what's under there, but a more effective plan is strengthening the whole body. Compound lifts give you more bang for the buck because they work the belly/core and around 70% of the body. You can do the exercises listed above to "tone up your belly" all you want, but they won't burn the fat. Squats, deadlifts, pull ups and bench press work the core better than crunches or planks.
  • bfanny
    Options
    "Exactly" I can "feel" my abs deep inside when I lay down too bad they 're still covered in fat :(
  • usmcmp
    Options
    "Exactly" I can "feel" my abs deep inside when I lay down too bad they 're still covered in fat :(

Then you need to keep losing fat. As I pointed out lifting will preserve lean mass, so more of the weight you lose will be fat and in the long run you'll have to lose less weight.
  • bfanny
    Options
    So heavy lifting and Patience it is!!! Thanks :)
  • bfanny
    Options

Then you need to keep losing fat. As I pointed out lifting will preserve lean mass, so more of the weight you lose will be fat and in the long run you'll have to lose less weight.
    Or cardio???? LOL
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So heavy lifting and Patience it is!!! Thanks :)

I know it sucks. After giving birth to two very large babies while I was obese I didn't think I would ever see abs. Took 3 years, but it finally happened.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Or cardio???? LOL

Cardio will help with a calorie deficit, but you should achieve that through diet anyway.

Strength training is important for muscle preservation (and gives an amazing figure when the fat is gone).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • bfanny
    Options

No, this is wrong. You can have treats, if they fit into your goals. (I had cookies last night.) Treats won't hinder fat loss, only a calorie surplus will do that.
    Who knew I 'm Super happy that I was wrong!!!