silly question.............

Options
so you are suppose to have a rest day?
but you are suppose to do Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred for 30 days??

So do you rest on day 31? =)

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    haha very valid question! I did the 30 Day Shred straight for 30 days (I missed day 26 and made it up at the end). To me, 20 minutes of exercise a day (the Shred) isn't enough to really constitute the need for a rest day. If you were running for extended periods of time, then yes you need a rest day. But I was just fine without putting in a rest day, plus it kept me ON TRACK and losing those inches!
  • NickCasey
    Options
    That is too funny :laugh:
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!
    I do bootcamp Mon - Wed & Fri also.....
    so far I'm not terribly sore...... my hip, shoulders and arms are tender..... but not enough to complain about! lol Today is only day 3 of 30 though!! =)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The General concensus for a rest day is that your muscles require abour 48 hours to recover and prepare for the next workout.

This is the standard applied to Strength and Resistance training as it's during the rest phase that you actually make the gains in your lean mass.

Most commercial programs (P90x etc) incorporate this principle by varying the type of workout so that you're still being active with Something each day, but not doing the same thing twice so that those parts can recover.

Eg...You might have a heavy Leg oriented workout on Monday...then the Tuesday session might be Arms, Wednesday might be Abs...etc.

In that respect, even though you'd be doing a workout every day, your legs are getting their recovery time during the other workouts until their turn comes around again.

I'm not personally familiar with the program you're doing, but I would guess it to be structured in a similar fashion.

Bottom line: Get off the couch and do SOMETHING every day for 30 days...and you're going to see results. :-)

Cheers!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!
    so far I'm not terribly sore...... my hip, shoulders and arms are tender..... but not enough to complain about! lol Today is only day 3 of 30 though!! =)

Ohhhh, I wasn't aware you were doing anything else besides the 30 Day Shred. When I did it, I strictly did only the Shred, so that makes my answer quite different!! It sounds like you're doing a lot!!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I only do it about 3 times a week, but I also run, do Zumba and use other DVD's. I take one complete rest day a week.
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thanks!!!

Ohhhh, I wasn't aware you were doing anything else besides the 30 Day Shred. When I did it, I strictly did only the Shred, so that makes my answer quite different!! It sounds like you're doing a lot!!

I also walk to work and back most days, 10 minute walks 3 to 4 times a day. I go to a bank and clean right after work from my regular job- I clean like a mad woman for 60 minutes and sweat like crazy!!!
    So why am I not 120 lbs? lol I know patience!!!!! ugh!!!