Need to lose 20lbs by August 31st

Options
WombatHat42
WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
Hello I am new here. I need help re-starting. In October I injured my back lifting, at the time I was 265-270. After a couple months I decided to get back in and do cardio and lift again. However, the past month or so the pain has been quite bad and now that I was finally able I was able to get a diagnosis and found out I have 4 herniated discs, one quite large that is impinging the nerve and tendon for my right leg. This has caused me to get up to 290 (213 lean muscle and about 25% fat). I will start physical therapy in a week and do it for 4-6 weeks. Upon which time I will decide if I will go thru with the recommended surgery. I would like to lose as much weight as fast as possible to see if that reduced weight makes a difference. Prior to injury I had a goal of 220 by this august(back in october) now I would like to get to 250 by october 21st and 230 by december. However I really would like some help to lose about 20 pounds by August 31st. It is hard to work out with this but havent tried since I was prescribed pain meds. It has also been hard to lose weight since my parents are the ones in charge of dinner. I dont feel that much weight is too aggressive as it is only about 3 lbs/week.

I am limited in what I can do physically. No running, squatting, deadlifts, military press. I am not sure on biking, leg press, leg extensions/curls, bicep curls, bench press, rows, lawnmowers. I know HIIT is the best way to lose, but that is unfortunately not an option at the moment.

Please can someone help with this? Diet recommendations, work out routine either or both would help.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You could do it in 2 months probably. Try for 15 lbs by august 31. Walk 1 hour a day 4x a week, walk 1.5 hours 3x a week. Watch your calories.
  • WombatHat42
    Options
    I have been walking my dog 2x a day for 20-30 minutes each. Due to the nerve impingement it is hard to walk longer than 20. And calories I am down to about 1500 since I am not very active at the moment. Other than the walks I am on the couch.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    hey don't laugh but they have exercises that you can sit down and do. Look it up on youtube. THey have yoga for big people. Its a good workout. What about swimming? I think it is wonderful for being low impact on your joints and back. Mainly just focus on eating your correct calories and drink lots of water. I personaly think the twenty is quite a lot in that little of time but it is worth trying for. Losing that weight will definitely help you. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
  • WombatHat42
    Options
    I would like to swim as that is what I have read wont hurt my back but I do not have access to a pool until uni starts in the fall and cannot afford to go to any of the local pools such as the YMCA :/ As to yoga, that is the same but I am not 100% it is safe for my back. The surgeon I "spoke with" was in and out of the office before I could say hi.

I know it may sound like I am just negating what you both are saying, but that is why I am here because a lot of it I have already thought on but am out of ideas and hoping someone can help give me more or a diet plan that might help.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you can only do 20 minute walks, then do it 2 times a day. Try doing exercises while you sit.

As for food, your profile says you're 27. Offer to make meals, take smaller portions, tell your parents you want to start eating healthier.

If you need friends, feel free to add me.
  • WombatHat42
    Options
    Tried to take control of the cooking dinner but my mom is a bit of a control freak in that sense. She has to do the shopping and the cooking. But that is mostly because she is being protective of my dads health since he has celiacs and diabetes. I have tried compromising but she says she wants to be the one that cooks. If I had a job I would just buy my own groceries. Until then I just skip eating what they eat for dinner and have replaced it with a protein shake with 350ml skim milk, 1 banana and sometimes strawberries blended in then depending on the carbs i have had during the day will eat about 300g or more of broccoli(plain)

To prevent gaining during weight I have actually switched all my main meals except breakfast(2 eggs) to the protein shake(broccoli only at dinner) but only intend on doing this for one more week to get my stomach used to eating less. I have lost a couple pounds since I returned to the states.