So what are you doing with those clothes 1 size too large?

Options

Replies

• stickersticker
    stickersticker Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I still wear most of them
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have also given away lots of clothes that likely cost me a fortune. I tried consignment or selling on line but everyone else is doing that so I sold very little, it just was not worth my time. I figure donating is a way I can give back without actually giving money to charities.

Yep - exactly my experience.

I first gave away one bag of random clothes but kept all my nicest stuff to resell (to get new clothes). Im sure if I had patience I could have - but I just felt the effort wasn't worth it. Simply the back and forth emails between people interested was annoying IMO.

I knew a guy through a friend who desperately needed them. Was big (5x big) and broke. I knew exactly how it felt to be in that scenario at one time - so instead of dealing with the headache for what would have been an underwhelming payoff - donated them.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For pants, one size down I keep, wear a belt until that doesn't work anymore. If they look too baggy and are falling off, I give them to Goodwill or Durham Rescue Mission. I will not keep "fat" clothes!!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have become very good at altering both shirts and pants. You can find good videos online.

I've also gotten really good at finally giving away the ones that are 2-4-6 sizes too small. They were okay for a while but I finally decided that if they don't look great, they're going. Someone else can wear them. I love Goodwill.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    2. I refuse to give my Fat clothes to someone else....I will not help someone else be comfortable being fat.....no would I wish obesity on anyone.

3. I BURN THEM - Brought a garbage bag of clothes that are way too big for me now camping this weekend. It felt great to burn them in the fire one at a time!

This is terrible and wasteful IMO.

Everyone deserves to be comfortable regardless of their weight. And there are people out there of all sizes who desperately need clothes. In fact I worked in a homeless shelter for nearly a decade - and people in the very large sizes are probably more in need than anyone else.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    One size too large I usually just wear (as long as they're not too baggy)

Once they're too baggy, I gather them up and donate to Goodwill. Although I've kept my business suits and dresses until I can find an outlet (women's shelter etc) that can make good use of them. I hate the thought of Goodwill selling my $400 business suits for $10. I've also held on to my good bras, so I can donate them to a women's shelter as well.

I kept a pair of pants in my original size, and the dress I was wearing in a "before" picture.
  • samanthaxb
    samanthaxb Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank god for sewing machines! I re-size everything :)

This, thank goodness for sewing classes too!
  • RatRaceOne
    RatRaceOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I rent mine out to various summer festivals as tents (6 sizes too large, at this point.)
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I usually wear my pants until they fall off my butt, I don't like belts though. However, I keep my clothes for 5-10 years (I have tshirts that are 15 years old I wear all the time). If they are still in good condition I will donate them to goodwill, if they're beyond repairs I toss them in the bin or I reuse them for patches on good clothes.
    Like I said above, Tshirts I just keep and wear them, I like baggy shirts because I'm still very overweight. My husband and I are also about the same size in shirts (he likes baggy like me) and we share our shirts, so just because I don't need a shirt anyone doesn't mean he doesn't want it.
    I recently threw away all my old undies and bras that no longer fit.

The thing that pisses me off is that fact I've lost a bunch of weight but not much in terms of clothes. LOL Always makes you wonder where it comes from.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I box clothes 1 size too large and donate them when they become 2 sizes too large.

I keep the 1-size-up clothes around in case of hormonal water weight or if I slack off dieting a bit--if I have to break into the box I know I'm not adhering to program as I should, but at least I don't have to spend money on clothes while I get back on track.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    @ Arydria If your old clothes are expensive and name brand ish you could sell them at consignment shops or just post an ad on craigslist. You'd be surprised how quickly they'll sell.
  • lconley3
    lconley3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hold on to ONE size too big, not in case of creep, but for economic purposes as others have mentioned. Especially work pants and jeans. I had knee surgery and was not able to work out as much, so for a time there was creeping. It was helpful to "shop" in my own closet.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have also given away lots of clothes that likely cost me a fortune. I tried consignment or selling on line but everyone else is doing that so I sold very little, it just was not worth my time. I figure donating is a way I can give back without actually giving money to charities.

Yep - exactly my experience.

I first gave away one bag of random clothes but kept all my nicest stuff to resell (to get new clothes). Im sure if I had patience I could have - but I just felt the effort wasn't worth it. Simply the back and forth emails between people interested was annoying IMO.

I knew a guy through a friend who desperately needed them. Was big (5x big) and broke. I knew exactly how it felt to be in that scenario at one time - so instead of dealing with the headache for what would have been an underwhelming payoff - donated them.

That's a really great thing you did, I wish more people did things like that to help each other out. The world would be a better place! :flowerforyou:
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Lost about 8 inches off my waist size and ended up donating a lot of pants/jeans to charity.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    I gave some to my friend. Will probably sell the rest to a thrift store or online if they're rather pricey
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Usually I'll hold onto it if it's 1 size too large, just in case I get bloated from a salt heavy dish the day before - you never know when you'll be invited to a restaurant with friends that sells complete salt bombs :x
    While it's great you've been giving away some of your old clothes, depending on the condition and appearance, you may also wish to look into selling them on eBay! Getting money back for clothes you have grown out of can be EXTREMELY rewarding :) Selling things on eBay if you're new may seem intimidating, but it's incredibly easy!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I never allow anyone to email me with questions about clothing I have for sale. I take a ton of photos of the items and post them sold as a LOT only, and locally only, for a low price that people will jump to pay. I don't think I've ever had anything posted on Craigslist for more than 7 days -- often one or two days. But it still helps me out...rather than donating I can make $20 or $50 to buy a couple tops or pair of jeans or whatever. Quick cash...I'd rather do that than try to sell an item for its "resale price" of like $8 for a shirt or $15 for a dress. I see a lot of people going that route...but I think that would take ages and not feel worth my time at all!

More often now, I donate...but I think if you handle it a certain way, it's really easy to sell to others. At least for me it has been.

When I first went from 22 to 18, I had probably 200 items to sell so I posted about my garage sale on a few local facebook "plus size clothing swap" sites and I had a swarm of women at my house on the day of the sale. I could have closed after one hour and made enough money to make it worth my time...I only had a half dozen unsold items after 2 hours!

I do notice the smaller the size, the harder it is to resell clothing online though. My last "lot" of 14s and XL took five or six days to get rid of.
  • ariabelles
    Options
    For me it doesn't really matter with tops, but if I can take in any skirts etc I will.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've given away some of mine that were really big now all my clothes are baggy but I can't afford to buy new stuff just yet so I'm hanging on to them a while longer. By Christmas I hope to be in a size 10/12. I'm medium frame so that's normal for me.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I keep 1 size bigger, just for period bloat. lol I donate 2 sizes and larger though

This^, when I have my period that clothes fits me fine.