monster before a workout

I've been wondering, is it ok to drink a monster energy drink before a workout consisting of cardio and strength training?

I already researched this thought and know the answers that its bad if you try to gain muscle and so on. However for my case, i do a low calorie, low fat etc diet that mainly leaves me enough energy to go through the day and then do my workout at night. Although, sometimes I feel completely depleted from having enough energy to keep me actively focused so a boost of caffeine should keep me energized to get me through my workout . I just want to know if anyone has some logical concepts or experience that if monster is bad or ok before an intense workout on a low calorie diet?? :indifferent:

Replies

• 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    I used to drink monster just for taste knowing its bad but it truly has no benefits. I would suggest eating more whole grains throughout the day to keep energy level high. Maybe drink black coffee or beet juice right before working out. I prefer beet juice since it has the same affect of most pre work products
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Dude, seriously, just go to Icicle and get a dark persuasion when it's in. That's all you need.

Also, if it's caffeine you're looking for, find a good pre with caf, or hit up a few shots of espresso. Monster gives you what, 16mg of caff an ounce, Espresso gives you 64mg in an ounce. 4x the caffeine per ounce.
  • shadow2450
    shadow2450 Posts: 19 Member
    Thing is, i cant consume things that have alot of calories and fat because i need to lose weight. Expresso's are to fat-full but perhaps black sugarless coffee could be a good alternative to try
  • Espresso is not full fat and has very few calories on it's own, only when it's in lattes/specialty drinks would that be an issue. Try an Americano (espresso/hot water)...I always find that energy drinks hurt my stomach as soon as I drink one, but coffee is always good
  • jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    I take a 5 hour energy before my workout. I got switched to night shift, but my bootcamp is at 5:15am. I'm BEAT by then, but if I drink a 5 hour energy about 3am it gives me enough of a boost to feel human at 5:15...then after workout I take a shower and it's mostly out of my system. Without it I'm just too sluggish. I am trying to lose a significant amount of weight and I feel ya - and I drink coffee too, but sometimes a 5 hour energy is where it's at!
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Espresso has the same amount of calories as a regular black coffee, so pretty close to 0.

Also can I be the first one to point out that if you don't have enough energy to get through your day/workout properly, you could probably do with a bit more calories?

Edited to add: that's for a normal day, if you're going to work out after a nightshift I totally understand the need for a caffeine beverage ;)
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    I drink a large ice-coffee i make from fresh brewed or sometimes i add instant coffee crystals to icewater. its not that bad :)
    i add 0 calorie truvia sweetener sometimes but I like it black too.
    2 of these before 90 cardio workout every day.
  • dbmata
    Just came back to check this thread... but, wut?

Espressos have fat? Since when?

OP. what is the caloric difference between a monster and a double espresso? which has more caffeine, which has more calories on an ounce by ounce basis?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    drink the coffee- or espresso.

Or go get caffiene pills.

Or do something novel and make sure you are eating enough food to fuel your body to work out.

All of them are less calories than the monster probably is.

But if you like monsters and you can fit them into your calories- that is a thing too.
  • Thing is, i cant consume things that have alot of calories and fat because i need to lose weight. Expresso's are to fat-full but perhaps black sugarless coffee could be a good alternative to try

so you'd rather down a drink that has 220 calories, 54g of sugar, 360mg of sodium with only 160mg of caffeine (which is equal to a cup of coffee) vs. a shot of espresso that has no calories and 64mg of caffeine per ounce.

Why not just eat a good breakfast before your workout?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Thing is, i cant consume things that have alot of calories and fat because i need to lose weight. Expresso's are to fat-full but perhaps black sugarless coffee could be a good alternative to try

so you'd rather down a drink that has 220 calories, 54g of sugar, 360mg of sodium with only 160mg of caffeine (which is equal to a cup of coffee) vs. a shot of espresso that has no calories and 64mg of caffeine per ounce.

There are zero calorie/sugar free monsters, and they don't live under beds.
  • MRSpivey
    MRSpivey Posts: 270 Member
    Personally I take two Excedrin Migraine with 24 oz black coffee mixed with my chocolate protein (30 g protein 180 calories) as my pre-workout.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Just want to point out that you don't need to do low-fat to lose weight. Calories in < Calories out is all that matters for weight loss. Fat is important macro for your body. You need to fat in your diet and it can be harmful to your body long term if you keep doing low-fat.
  • strengthandhonour4eva
    strengthandhonour4eva Posts: 221 Member
    I couldnt think of much worse to have! just increases your heart rate and gives you a buzz
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    I am super sensitive to caffeine at times I would not load up on caffeine before a workout unless I was about to fall asleep. If you need the boost maybe drink half of it or less and then give it 15 min, start working out and see how you do. Your heart rate is gonna be raised by doing cardio the caffeine will pump it up even more so you just don't need much. Be careful though bc ppl go to the hospital from those things all the time.
  • dbmata

That makes them practically a health food.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member

That makes them practically a health food.

Did I say that? OP is concerned with calories in/calories out as far as I can see. Don't really know what you're trying to accomplish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    sarcasm meter- I think walmart sells it- you might pick some up as it seems your meter is broken