Just Adopted My First Cat! - Tips Please?

Options
2»

Replies

• fluffy2010
    Options
    A comfy, enclosed bed where she feels safe. My one kitten loves little toy mice, my other loves balls that crunch. A scratching post, wet and dry food (the vet said wet food is another way to keep them hydrated, mine likes shredded or flaked food, they hate pate!), those circles that the ball keeps going around, kitty milk.
  • Blossom01
    Options
    Congratulations on your new pet!:flowerforyou:

To start off with take it a bath you may use baby shampoo I heard it works well. Also keep it indoors for about a week (if it is going to be an indoor cat) so that it can get adjusted to its new environment.:smile: Give it space. Like give it food and walk away. Put a litter box in the bathroom or somewhere and put the cat on top of it a few times so that it knows that there is where it has to use the bath room. I have 3 cats the mom the son from her first pregnancy and another son of hers from her last pregnancy. Cats love to be by the window or the sun so I got a free box from Costco that has an opening in the middle and made then their own home. They love this and even take turns. Cats also love to cuddle in small places like their own bed or something round. Cats love to play toys that have cat nip are very entertaining for them. You can get a paper bag and poke a hole in it and put a pencil trough it to interact with your cat. Mine love this. I hope these tips can help you and if you got to the vet you can buy some drops to keep flees away from your cat. You put it on their skin once a month and they work really well. :wink:
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    hey guys, first night went well i think, will post later, gotta head to work now, feel so guilty! poor kitty!

and her name is FLAKES! :tongue:

will let you all know how i get on in the shops and later on tonight, i wanna get home asap tonight! :cry:
  • flossicle
    Options
    Buy a decent scratching post.. my cat obliterated the carpet on my stairs and the back of the couch .. even though he had access to trees in the garden lol!

Put a jumper what smells of you in her basket, it'll be a comforter for her..

Lots of toys.. cats love stimulation and playing keeps them trim too!

Lots of peaceful time on their own.. cats love affection..but when it suits them!

Lots of love and cuddles.. and no smelly dogs to annoy her..:happy:
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new kitty! I have two and my favorite trick is spray cat nip. I use it on their scratching post to keep them interested in it.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You will just love it! I never had a cat until about three years ago, and I couldn't imagine life now without him! I don't know what i had to talk about before, haha!

Lots of toys! I wouldn't necessarily get the cat bed-as mine just sleeps with me either in bed or on the couch. Also, they are like toddlers-so keep all doors to cabinets closed unless it is ok for them to be on there. Remember that they LOVE heights, so don't keep breakables "out of their reach" because they can "reach" pretty far!

Love it. Just snuggle:) If it will let you-my husbands cat hates when I make her give me hugs, haha! Seriously, just enjoy it-they will give you so many hours of enjoyment-please just love it and cuddle it!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yay congrats :heart: I see everything has already been covered but wanted to pop in and say welcome home to wee Flakes (cute name)
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    thanks Chellie, i called her flakes because when i first got her she just flaked out on my lap! :tongue:

she has been out in the snow for a few minutes, to have a look, shes a very nosy cat! she lost her collar, so dunno what she was at for those few minutes, when the snow clears i will get her another with her name and my phone number on it

but overall she is doing great, i would be devastated if something happened to her, have completely fallen in love with her! :heart:

:blushing:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are now officially OWNED by a cat! :laugh: