Food before running?

Options
So I just went for a run, and I regrettably did not eat anything before I set off, which ended up in my legs being wobbly and weak, and not being able to run very far :sad:

I was wondering what people here ate before they went running to fuel themselves? And/or what they ate afterwards too? :smile:

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    How far did you run this AM?
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If it's a relatively short run (3-6 miles), I eat a yogurt and drink a cup of coffee. For longer runs, I add an English muffin with some natural apple spread. That's my most frequent pre-run breakfast.
  • annie_adcock
    Options

Well, I set out to do a long run and did 6K in an hour... The thing is though the 1st half of the run was like 70% run 30% walk, which is okayish, then for the 2nd half I walked like 80%, and I'd like to improve that...
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I run (unless I'd be running more than 10 miles I guess but I haven't gotten to that point yet) as it makes me feel very, very sick. I do drink a LOT when I run though. Like I can't even run one mile if I don't have water. I go through about a pint every 3 miles or so.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Anything under around 10 miles I don't normally worry. Over 10 I make sure I've at least had a good bowl of porridge and some fruit. If you've not been running long the wobbly legs could just be because your body is not yet adjusted to the strains of running. It does take a while for your legs to get used to it.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i typically eat a piece of toast and peanut butter, about 200 calories. after my run I have a full breakfast 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 1/4 serving of oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries, a banana, coffee with a serving of Grace's Best Cookies. I tear it up!
  • annie_adcock
    Options
    I never eat before I run (unless I'd be running more than 10 miles I guess but I haven't gotten to that point yet) as it makes me feel very, very sick. I do drink a LOT when I run though. Like I can't even run one mile if I don't have water. I go through about a pint every 3 miles or so.

Ahhh, I drink a lot of water too, and I forgot my bottle, which could explain it... I did stop half way though and had a big drink of water, but after that I was even more rubbish haha!
  • brendanwalsh68
    Options
    Fueling, as it's called, is a really important element to running. It plays a much greater role in longer runs, usually those an hour or more, but really matters all the time.

Always a good idea to keep a running journal of some sort where you can make notes of your run. Aside from the normals (pace, distance, route, weather conditions) it's nice to gather your thoughts about the run. ("I felt good today," or "got really weak after just a few minutes.") These notes remind you and jog your memory on what might have been happening that day.

But taking note of what you eat beforehand is a good idea. Always remember, running is an experiment of one. Everyone is different, although some universal rules of physiology apply.

My suggestion: Get into a pattern of when you run every day and what you'll eat beforehand. A bowl of cereal of some type (Cheerios) consistently may help. On longer runs, I always carry Gu energy gels.

Good luck and stay with it!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat a small meal before most runs. I wake up 1-1.5 hours before heading out and then eat and have time to use the bathroom. By a small meal I mean maybe 1/2 cup kashi cereal or a little oatmeal or something like that. I experimented a bit with a couple fasted runs this week and it went OK, but then I have trouble hitting my carb/calorie goals for the day, so I am going back to eating before running pretty much all the time.

When I get back, I have a full breakfast. I use Matt Fitzgeralds Diet Quality Score system, so I try to eat a really high quality breakfast. 2 egg veggie omelet, 2 pieces whole wheat toast, blue berries is a go to for me. If you desire to increase to more higher mileage running, you may want to check out his books!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Well, I set out to do a long run and did 6K in an hour... The thing is though the 1st half of the run was like 70% run 30% walk, which is okayish, then for the 2nd half I walked like 80%, and I'd like to improve that...

So, if the run is first thing in the morning, for me at least, a scoop of peanut butter and 1-2-3 count squeeze of honey. I'm not awake to make or do more other then get dressed, and go out for the run. Distance varies, but 3 to 6 miles for now and I'm fine.

Your run sounds pretty good, congrats. To improve your run/walk ratio, go out slower then before. I know it sounds counter to the truth, but it works. Remember, things like 1. activity prior day 2. outside weather conditions 3. adequate stretching 4. level of determination 5. how hydrated are you<- - - - -all of these factors and probably a few more determine how you perform. And last, walking is moving so if you need to walk from time to time, have at it. Best of luck.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If I run in the evening then I eat something that I know will digest quickly about an hour before. Usually some kinda shake or maybe coffee (ok, I drink something). Sometimes a banana or boiled egg.

I usually run in the morning on an empty stomach. I can't stand having to wait the 45 min for food to digest and if I wait any less then that I just feel sick while working out. If I know I'm going to be doing something harder than I usually do then I maybe eat a tsp of coconut oil, or if I've baked healthy stuff might take something with me to take a bite of when needed. Don't do that too often though.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    english muffin and yougert are my staple for morning runs. If it is a long run I add oatmeal to the mix about an hour before I run. Never swallow all the food and go out the door. Give the food time to do it's thing. Legs will get stronger the more you run. Wabble legs are normal for early morning runs for beginners that don't stretch before and after your run. Ear light and stretch for up to 5 minutes before you take off.
  • annie_adcock
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :) sounds like most people have a small snack about an hour before they run, usually carbs, then a big breakfast afterwards.

I am not a beginner to exercising, I go to the gym regularly and do short runs on the treadmill. I've recently moved house and the lanes are excellent for running so I have just started properly doing long runs outdoors, which I could never do before.

Time to go get some food! :bigsmile:
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Trick I learnt while training for a half marathon - bring some jelly babies with you. I eat one once every 1-2 miles and it helps keep your energy levels up. A lot of runners do this (better than those caffeine crazy energy pills etc)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There's a balance between being adequately fuelled in general, and prerun. Eating less than a couple of hours before doesn't actually convert during the session, so I'd suggest a decent evening meal is more significant.

Personally, less than an hour I now don't bother, for 90 minutes or more thats generally going to mean a good breakfast of porridge and fruit an hour before leaving the house.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have no answer to your question but I do have this.

You people are amazing to me, I am unable to run due to numerous reconstructive surgeries on a knee and the plethora of issues with it. When I bring the subject up to my Ortho Dr. tells me absolutely not under any circumstances, low impact only.
    To see you post about a 6 or 10 mile run like it’s nothing is freaking astounding to me, I am envious of you all and your abilities.
    Running is something that I keep telling myself that I’m going to try when I shed some additional weight, until then I’ll just live vicariously through all of you!

Now back to your regularly schedule programming….
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can't run immediately after eating, so got in the habit of running first thing in the morning after nothing but water and coffee. It took me a little bit to adjust to this, but now I have I feel good doing it. When I have a bit more time I have a piece of fruit and glass of milk (but I have no lactose issues--obviously you need to know what your stomach is sensitive to). Then I eat when I get back. I'm not running more than about 5-6 miles currently at my longest, though--at some point I'll have to adjust.

Hmm, just noticed the post about evening meals -- I eat dinner late, so maybe that's one reason this works for me.
  • wpayers
    wpayers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always always always eat before heading out. My normal activities are swim, bike, run or some combination. Ranges from banana to toast with almond butter with fruit. Also, I have at least one cup of coffee. The key is eating about 1 hour beforehand. Otherwise, the fueling doesn't take effect. The challenge is getting out of bed earlier enough!
  • erinlikesfood
    erinlikesfood Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat before my runs (unless I had a huge dinner the night before, but that's rare). If I'm going 3-6 miles it's usually half a banana with 1-1.5 TBSP almond butter. If longer, it might be a whole banana with 2 TBSP almond butter, or toast with sliced banana and almond butter, or oatmeal. The most important thing is to find what works for you.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    my personal experience is if i run right when i wake up its on an empty stomach with icecoffee or water
    if i wait awhile after getting up to go running i really need something in my stomach.