pumpkin pie recipe question

Options
I just made the pumpkin pie recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It calls for "3/4 c. half & half, light cream, or milk" and lists the calories per slice at 255. My question is; if I used 2% milk did I save any of the 255 calories?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Look at the difference in the amount of calories in the quantity called for in each type of milk. Subtract the difference from the total calories for the whole pie, then divide that number by the number of servings. This will give you the accurate calorie count.
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • coreenfw
    Options
    I checked for you:

2/3 cup half & half - 210 cal 19g fat.
    2/3 cup 2% milk - 81 cal 3g fat

So, yes, you saved some calories. ;)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Better Homes and Gardens, I'm more of a Betty Crocker girl. I know in the Betty Crocker cookbook, in the intro, its will tell you that "unless otherwise noted" they make it this way or that way. BHG may have a similar not in the intro specifying exactly what they makes up those 255 calories per slice.
    Just off the top of my head, I'm guessing they used half and half, its the most calorie rich ingredient in pumpkin pie, so I'm going to guess that's how they got the calories that high per slice.