frustrated.

Options
Jenna423
Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
Does anyone else realize how hard it is to find food WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup in it?!?!?!?! :noway: I mean seriously! I HATE trying to shop anymore. :grumble:

Sorry, I just really needed to yell about that. Dieting is just frustrating... :angry:

Replies

• Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else realize how hard it is to find food WITHOUT high fructose corn syrup in it?!?!?!?! :noway: I mean seriously! I HATE trying to shop anymore. :grumble:

Sorry, I just really needed to yell about that. Dieting is just frustrating... :angry:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic I do understand exactly you mean it's not easy.:ohwell:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    make a circuit of the outer row of the supermarket, all the bad stuff is in the Isles, if you stick to the outside, that's where the perishables are, and generally, perishables don't contain all the processed chemicals. Not to say nothing in the middle is good for you, but there is a lot more processed crap in the middle and a lot more fresh meat, dairy, and breads and produce in the outsides.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree with Banks, work the perimiter (this does not include end caps). Most natural foods can be found there. Once foods go down the isles there is a lot that goes in to keep their shelf-life. Again, you can make foods down the rows work for you, but you will want to be a label reader for sure!

Just a side note, and I ranted about this before. With the carze of gas prices the perimiter foods will start to rise in price because they have to be replenished so often. I'd start looking for dual duty meals (you know the ones that can be used for 2 meals+). This will help keep cost low (for those who are tight financially as it is) but still provide you with healthy food.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    the perimeter is the best place to stick too. If it comes in a box and is meant to last for many months without refrigeration it is full of crap you don't want in your body.

chubby bunny is correct, as an owner of two restaurants I can tell you that prices have already gone up and they will continue to go up as food vendors start to increase for "gas". As a mom, there are a lot of items you can buy frozen that are healthier than fresh because of the flash freezing systems used by most farmers so if there are food that you can handle being frozen, stock up on those, but in all honesty, this is very similar to the early 70's with food and gas prices on the rise....inflation is a wonderful thing....:cry::cry: :cry:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I hear ya!
    So many foods advertised as HEALTHY contain HFCS...you might as well forget any processed foods at the local market
    I think (check labels) kashi is free of HFCS...I eat the cereal, cookies and granola bars
    Also, I think cliff bars are also free of HFCS..I eat the kidz cliff bars which are OK and about 110-120 cals

Kim
  • PaperDahlia
    PaperDahlia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sticking to perimeters of the store is correct, but i'd also like to add, that finding a store that carries a strong 'natural' food aisle is also a good plan of operation. Many major food markets are starting to wake up and realize the potential for natural food products-- and when you go to those products and read the labels, you will find many healthy alternatives included in the ingredients and.. *GASP* NO! fructose corn syrup of any kind. :) Whole foods is a mucho dinero kind of food store, so look for co-ops and other major retail food groceries in your area that may stock a larger selection of natural products. best of luck :)
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I know how you feel.. I mean ketchup is the worst and i LOVE it... I am insulin resistant so i had to give up a lot of things.. but I noticed a lot of FAT FREE FOODS and SUGAR FREE foods h ave it... SO instead i eat 2% cheese light or orig salad dressings like italian or ranch... Its hard but once you realize the foods you can eat you'll start feeling better too.. At least i did

heres some foods the dr gave met to eat

breakfast.

2-3 scrambled eggs
    1 slice of whole wheat toast or 2 slices of light whole grain bread
    1 small orange

2-3 oz reduced fat string cheese
    1/2 small whole grain bagle with 2tbsp cream cheese
    1/2 cup grapes

Lunch
    6 oz can light tuna in water drained with 2 tsp mayo..
    2 slices whle grain light bread
    1 cup lett tom celer baby carrots ect w
    6 oz v 8

lean cuisen meal
    lgh spinach salad wiht 2 tbsp salad dressing
    8 oz lt yougart

dinner

4 o grilled marinated steak
    1/2 baked pot 2 tsp margine
    1 cup brocc
    tossed salad with red wihne vinergarand fresh herbs
    fresh peach