Misleading values of Sodium on MFP database

Options
Hey All,

Hope you are having a great time...

Sodium: Also known as a white poison can lead to weight gain because it causes your body to retain water. If this water is not released from your body, you will notice that over time, you can gain weight. Whether your weight gain occurs over a period of months or as little as a few days, it can be caused by too much sodium in your daily diet. It has been estimated that many people in the UK and USA may be carrying up to 5 pounds of extra weight due to the effects of a high sodium intake

The main reason that it is common is because sodium often lurks in foods that we eat, and we do not even realize it. I have been noticing that at least 4 out of 10 food items enlisted on the MFP database show sodium as zero or very very less. I guess it’s mainly because whenever a food item is added in the database, people usually have a tendency to put all the values from the food label. Unfortunately, they miss to notice that food labels usually have sodium content in grams (g) whereas the sodium in the nutritional chart of MFP is in milligrams (mg) and [1 gm = 1000 mg]. As a result, our daily intake of sodium is really misleading. Please make sure to check the nutritional chart of the food items that seem to be really low in sodium.

In most of the cases, the values are just copied. For eg; Sodium in Bachelors Slim a Soup 1 packet was listed as 0.48 mg(MFP rounds of all the numbers and ends up with zero for this)... but in reality it is 0.48 gms and that makes it 480 mg... .THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE! Without even realizing you end up going overboard in terms of sodium in your daily diet.

I make sure to correct any such food items I come across and would request you to do the same. I am doing my bit to help myself and everyone else maintain a healthy diet. I hope you do yours too!

Ciao !
S.K.B

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I get frustrated, constantly having to correct the sodium content in foods in the database. I still feel like my sodium is always off.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks hun, I'm going to make more of an effort to correct errors.

:flowerforyou: