Need more protein!!

Options
Hey guys, just a quick question? Anybody know any foods that are really high in protein, but low in fat and really low in carbs?
I do 60 minutes cardio 5 days a week, walk everywhere, do lots of housework and generally keep active. But I'm slightly struggling with my diet. (Please dont mention protein shakes). Thanks! And good luck to everyone.

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I suggest a protein shake. I am allergic to milk so I can't have whey protein, but I use nutribiotic vegan protein powder with a banana, berries, and almond milk every morning because I was also having a hard time getting enough protein.
  • brujeria48
    Options
    Greek yogurt is fantastic. I love Fage 0% with some fresh blueberries thrown in. I also enjoy whipping up an egg white scramble with some veggies for extra protein.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about the carbs...
    Greek yogurt (especially Chobani brand) has about 14 grams of protein per serving and is non-fat, prob high in carbs.
    Non-fat cottage cheese
    Roasted chicken breast
    Tuna (20 g protein per serving!)
    egg whites
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of protein shakes, they don't have any thermic value, and they add a bunch of other carbs you don't need. I eat lean turkey breast for protein. If you eat lean protein at the same time as complex carbs, you'll turn in to a fat burning machine!
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I do a high protein diet without the use of protein shakes. You can take a look at my food diary to see what I eat (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/seemichellerun). Basically, things like Tuna, Chicken, eggs, and lean steaks which will give you the most bang for your buck. I also eat a lot of Greek yogurt which is loaded with protein.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you don't like drinking protein shakes, you could buy unflavored protein powder and add it to yogurt, soups, etc.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Eggs... Fish... Seafood...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (especially Chobani brand) has about 14 grams of protein per serving and is non-fat, prob high in carbs.
    Non-fat cottage cheese
    Roasted chicken breast
    egg whites

You pretty much took my list! I would add fish.

To the OP - don't be afraid to include protein sources that are higher in fats, like nuts, avocado, etc. to your diet. They're very healthy! Also, I love beans, which are full of healthy protein and carbs (lots of fiber!).
  • elainegsd
    Options
    Non-fat cottage cheese
    Roasted chicken breast
    egg whites

You pretty much took my list! I would add fish.

To the OP - don't be afraid to include protein sources that are higher in fats, like nuts, avocado, etc. to your diet. They're very healthy! Also, I love beans, which are full of healthy protein and carbs (lots of fiber!).

You can have the fish, tuna is as close to seafood as I get. :smile:
  • mwchifly
    mwchifly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to use "Softwraps" from LaTortilla Factory for my sandwhiches. I get the whole grain rye which has only 90 cal per tortilla and 13g Protein.
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    hahahaahaha...how about protien shakes??? LOL!! just kidding! You guys have lots of great recommendations!!
  • elainegsd
    Options
    I like to use "Softwraps" from LaTortilla Factory for my sandwhiches. I get the whole grain rye which has only 90 cal per tortilla and 13g Protein.

I never realized that different grains have different protein contents, that makes total sense! I can't find the rye wraps with 13g protein on the website. Will you please post a link to the product you like?
    Thanks!