Need advice on tracking calories!

Options
I started using this site (myfitnesspal) to track the calories I intake per day. I've been doing this for a few days now but almost everyday I overlap the calorie limit and at the end of the day, I feel guilty. My limit is 1200 calories. Can you tell me how to manage this properly? I want to stay within my calorie limit but at the same time I don't want to starve myself either. I entered to my profile that I'd be doing workouts 3 days a week, 30 minutes a day but I've been doing more than that. Now I get the chance to put more time into my workouts. So... Any advice? Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You should be eating back at least half your exercise calories. Try to stay away from processed foods. Protein and fat keep you feeling full longest. I'm sure others have better answers that are more specific.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    To lose 20 lbs., set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, you should be eating more than 1200 calories. If MFP sets your calorie goal to 1200 and you burn 400 calories working out, then you are allowed to eat around 1600 calories total.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of crisp raw veggies. Get lots of fiber and lots of protein. This lets you feel full on fewer calories, and stays with you longer.

And remember, 1200 is your NET calories, not your TOTAL calories. Don't starve yourself. That is self-defeating in the long run.