fruit???

Options
I hear mixed things about it. I know we are supposed to eat it, but I was watching biggest loser and they said the other night to steer clear of fruit why would that be? Im so confused. I know it is high in carbs but it is good for us, can anyone help me please?!?!

Replies

• platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I didn't see the episode, but I know my personal trainer tells me to limit my fruit intake because of carbs and sugar...

Most fruits are loaded with vitamins and nutrients, but we can get the same things from veggies that are lower in calories, carbs, and sugars...

Good luck on your journey! :-)
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruits are really hard for our bodies to metabolize... but they also don't leave the body quickly. Sugars convert to carbs, and the carbs from fruit sugars don't get used as quickly as simple sugar carbs do. Hope that makes sense.
  • hammycat86
    Options
    I limit fruits to small quantities, but I do lose weight faster when I eat fruits. I'll have some berries and yogurt for breakfast. Or, if I don't have that for breakfast, I may eat an apple or banana in the afternoon. Usually just 1 serving a day. I get a little bit of an energy boost and feel better and unlike processed sugars I don't crash. And, like I said, when I eat a serving every day I seem to lose weight faster.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    they are higher in sugar/ carbs. Especially bananas and grapes...my two main favorites! But, they are good for you in other ways. Veggies are better if you are concerned with your sugars. I need to satisfy my sweet tooth tho, and fruit is far better for me than chocolate...

I hope that helps a little!
  • frank1987
    frank1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have heard of steering clear of fruits before. I imagine people would come up with that under the varying amounts of carbs and sugars in them. Although too much carbs are concerning, I would consider a reasonable amount of fruits nothing to worry about. Although they have some carbs, they are a "good" and natural source of them; similar to how there exists "good" and "bad" fats/cholesterol/sugars and so on. If the fruits come directly from nature, they are also nothing to worry about, unless they come packaged in cans, which normally contain syrups and other processed ingredients to insure their shelf life. One thing I follow when I am uncertain of particular foods is I consider how natural they are and what resources are in them. As long as you know what is in what you eat, then you will have an idea if whether or not it will fit well with your goals.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I only watched the last half of the Biggest Loser last night. I have never cut out fruit from my diet. I eat 2-3 servings a day. I usually eat higher glycemic fruits earlier in the day, but that's a different subject. I usually have a potassium rich banana directly after a hard morning workout or half before the workout. I am currently eating a low glycemic plum. Fruit helps me reach my calorie goals without going over on sodium. Saying all of that to say I don't know why they would have a problem with it. My diet is pretty balanced and i'm still losing weight with eating fruit.
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info people!:-) I need to start eating more raw veggies for now on.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I hear mixed things about it. I know we are supposed to eat it, but I was watching biggest loser and they said the other night to steer clear of fruit why would that be? Im so confused. I know it is high in carbs but it is good for us, can anyone help me please?!?!

For my body personally, too much fruit slowed my weight loss. Prior to eating 2-3 servings a day of fruit plus a nutrition drink that has a super fruit blend of berries in it. I lost 6lbs in 6 months. After dramatically reducing my fruit, I started to lose 1lb a week. And I stared to finally lose inches big time. About an 1-2 inches each week.

I had strongly believed fruit should be unlimited, I revamped that concept for me. The 2-3 servings a day was spiking my insulin affecting weight loss. Of course there are certain fruits that are better with regards to lower sugar, like berries.

If you find weight loss slow, check into it. If you are losing weight fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

No one ever recommended me to watch my sugar levels, I got a lot of advice about my slow weight loss, but I read online about how sugars can stall weight loss.
    :-)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I would assume alot of it has to do with sugar...I like fruit though and I"m not a huge healthy eater yet I"m working on it...so for me to pass up a cup cake for an apple...I figure the apple is better...I"m a work in progress.
  • AngelSharum
    AngelSharum Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on a low carb/high protein diet but I have to include fruit because he wants me to get a lot of fiber. You can do lower carb fruits such as blueberries and strawberries. Cantaloupe and watermelon aren't too high in carbs either.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/303735-list-of-slowly-digestible-carbohydrates/

Fruit
    Most fruits are high in fiber and are digested slowly, because as with whole grain, the fiber in the fruit interferes with the process of digestion. Lower-fiber fruits, like dates, are digested quickly, but higher-fiber fruits like apples get digested very slowly. Fruit juices, in general, are digested much more quickly than whole fruit. This is because juicing removes the sugar and the flavor molecules from the fruit along with water, but it doesn't remove the fiber, which stays behind in the pulp of the fruit. As such, juices--even those with no added sugar--typically get digested very quickly.