Body doesn't want to lose weight?

Options
I've cleaned up my diet and have been exercising for a couple of months now, and my weight hasn't changed. I do see some changes in how my clothes fit but no movement on the scale.

I've been eating so much healthier and less than I used to so it's surprising to me. I've heard from some people that maybe I'm just at the weight I should be. Its also possible I've gained muscle weight.

Anyone have a similar experience or have any insight?

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How many cals do you eat? Do you weigh everything with scales?
  • cailey365
    cailey365 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My CW is 130, I eat around 1200 cals/day and no I don't weigh everything
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You don't really have much weight to lose. Have you read this thread? Read it. Then read it again. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

But in general...

(1) make sure you're logging all of your food. All of it. And that it's as accurate as you can get it. Weigh everything with a digital scale.

and also

(2) please consider eating more
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Then you're probably not eating 1200 cals.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

What is your height? At 130 lbs, you don't have much weight to lose which is likely the main reason why you aren't losing weight. You simply have none to lose.

If you aren't weighing everything, you are probably overestimating calories consumed which could also be the reason you aren't losing weight. You must weigh everything.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    No offense intended, but if you truly eating 1200 calories a day you would be losing weight. You are most likely eating at maintenance.

You don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit, especially with such low calories.

Weigh your food and make sure you are using correct entries, and log every single thing you eat. If you are 130 pounds, chances are you don't have much to lose. Set your goals to lose .5 per week.
  • cailey365
    cailey365 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm about 5'5. I used to weigh 120 so I have just been trying to get back to that. I changed my goals as suggested. You guys are right that I am probably eating more than I think I am!

Lots to think about thanks for the advice!
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been eating so much healthier and less than I used to so it's surprising to me. I've heard from some people that maybe I'm just at the weight I should be. Its also possible I've gained muscle weight.
    Cailey;

Opinions are like......Everybody's got one.

I actually had a Doc tell me, when I told him I had to lose weight, that "...it could be that you are just at your body's "set point".
    That was 30 pounds ago (and 23 more to go).

As Tavi said, without "stats" (Gender, height, weight, age, current Total Cal Intake (all food), "average" life style (sedentary, lite exercise, etc), and exactly what your exercise routine consists of (walking, running, treadmill, etc, x times/week, for x minutes/mile, etc).

I know it sounds like giving out a lot of "personal" info, but it really is necessary if anyone is going to offer up suggestions that have any basis in fact.

As she also said, unless you are accurately tracking cal intake the rest (other than establishing "starting point" goals) is pretty much meaningless.
  • TeodorKrajnc
    TeodorKrajnc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try lowering carbs and increase protein.. 0.7 protein for lbs of body weight is a good start.

Next, if you're eating in a "big" caloric deficit, then your body starts to get used to it (survival mechanism).. So the way to "trick" your body is to eat more on every fifth, sixth day (.. So called "refeed day".

Another great thing for cutting or losing weight is intermittent fasting.. You fast (don't eat anything) for example: 16 hours and eat for 8 hours.. So all your calories should be in that "eating window". Try google it.

Hope that helps :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm about 5'5. I used to weigh 120 so I have just been trying to get back to that. I changed my goals as suggested. You guys are right that I am probably eating more than I think I am!

Lots to think about thanks for the advice!

You're 19... Just because you used to be 120lbs doesn't mean it's the best weight for you as you get older.
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Just as an "aside", and only based on the info you have provided so far....

Your BMI is dead smack in the middle of the "Normal" range.
    If you were to drop to 120 it would move you one "step" closer to the bottom of the normal range, still perfectly acceptable but it means those 10 lbs are more in the manner of "vanity" pounds than an actual health issue. Nothing wrong with that, and what matters most is where you "feel" best, but it's a whole lot different than someone with their feet firmly planted in the "obese" range.

As others have said, you are clearly in the "last 10" zone and those pounds come off very slowly (as they should), but that said, if you truly were consuming 1200/day (not advisable given what we know so far) you would be seeing a drop.

Much more likely you are actually somewhere closer to 1600 - 1800 but that's a "guess" and the ONLY way to know is to track EVERY single calorie, every single day (for at least a couple weeks).
  • deansdad101
    Options
    Next, if you're eating in a "big" caloric deficit, then your body starts to get used to it (survival mechanism).. So the way to "trick" your body is to eat more on every fifth, sixth day (.. So called "refeed day".

Another great thing for cutting or losing weight is intermittent fasting.. You fast (don't eat anything) for example: 16 hours and eat for 8 hours.. So all your calories should be in that "eating window". Try google it.
    Teo;

Please do some research on the "survival mechanism" (or "starvation mode") as much of what you are basing your "advice" on is, simply put "hocus pokus" or "myth".
    While it's true that cal reduction will cause "some" reduction in metabolism as well as a "stabilization" period for the body to adjust, the "effect" is grossly overstated and in no way approaches either "starvation" or "survival" for MOST people at the levels we are talking about.

While I agree that IF (Intermittent Fasting) has a number of benefits (most UNrelated to weight loss) my preference would be (and is) a 5:2 (5 days a week "normal" cal intake, 2 days cal restricted (but NOT true "fast" - 400-600 cals in total.

Here again, more research on your part is in order.
    The first "google it" isn't always the whole story.