Ice cream is my friend ..

Options
So .. here is my story. I have been on MFP since Sept of last year.

Did the calorie deficit thing .. and was very successful. Went from 198 lbs and 37% body fat to 152 lbs and 7.4 % body fat.

However at the end .. my body just wanted to keep losing. I think it was cause I have lots of muscle now for my size .. and that muscle is just burning like crazy.

But lose that fat I did. I was to such a point that my face was sunken and I was just too skinny. My friends called me a crack head. My family was too nice to tell me the truth .. and I wish they would have told me sooner.

I was just obsessed in getting my abs to a certain point (34.5 inches in my case) that I missed the big picture .. ie that I looked like **** cause I was just too skinny.

I am eating ice cream now .. and my face has improved somewhat .. and I am over all looking better with some more fat.

I have been doing the gym and such this whole time .. and honestly I am probably the most fit and strong I have been in many years.

So ... I am interested in hearing from people that like ice cream too. Kidding .. but really, is there such a thing as too much success where you have to actually eat like crazy just to gain body fat ?

Replies

• isamann
    isamann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No matter what I could never do without ice cream. I have cut down on my ice cream intake considerably, but will never do so completely. But I'm one of those people that can usually eat a lot of fattening foods and not manage to gain weight, so I guess it's partly genetic. Do you consider yourself an endomorph?

Don't think there's too much success, as long as you're happy and healthy ight?
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. I came for the title. Mm. Ice cream.

It could be that you just weren't eating enough calories for maintenance. Everyone's maintenance amount may vary a bit depending on lifestyle, age, health complications (or lack thereof), etc. If you were eating at MFP's set maintenance, it may have been too little. I continued losing on MFP's maintenance, and ended up having to tweak around with my settings a bit until I found the number that works for me.
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    If you can't leave this habit, try to leave it slowly. If you have a will power to leave it, you will definitely leave it.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose if you set the standard then there must be a possibility of too much success. Actually I think that just varies by perspective. You see it as a problem. I see it as perfect lol. You know you've made it when you have to supplement your diet with ice cream. I mean seriously, that's not a bad thing. Ice cream is delicious! I eat it just about every single night.

By God's grace I have found myself in the land of Blue Bell ice cream, which absolutely cannot be beat. Although, Ben and Jerry's is pretty good and will absolutely help to chunk you up.

Pie is also good. And macaroni and cheese. And pizza. All will chunk you back up a bit!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you need to be strength training- because if all you do is eat ice cream- you're going to wind up fat.

And yes- most of us over here- we do indeed love our ice cream.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love me some ice cream. In moderation and as part of the rest of my balanced diet. I definitely think you can over succeed, it becomes an unhealthy obsession and you begin to do more damage to your body than good.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out, ice cream is fine.
  • girl_w_2_forks_and_a_knife
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/23/body-fat_n_3947841.html

3. The lower your percentage of body fat, the better. The "ideal" body fat percentage for any adult varies depending on factors like age, gender, exercise level, genetics and bone structure. In general, for adults over 50, a target healthy range of body fat is 20 to 25 percent for women and 10 to 15 percent for men. Generally, women with more than 32 percent body fat and males with more than 25 percent are considered to be at higher risk for heart disease and other conditions.

But people with a much lower percentage of body fat could be putting their health at risk as well. Men and women with very low body fat could face nutrient deficiencies and men could incur a higher risk of osteoporosis. "If you get a disease or infection that causes muscle wasting," Rubenstein warns, "being too thin could be dangerous."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what does that have to do with anything????

and huffingtonpost isn't exactly the pinnacle of science studies.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sorry i kinda missed this thread .. and yes I started it. Sorry.

So .. well I have gained 8 lbs since my lowest point and honestly I am happy about it as first ... I look better in all ways.

Second .. I have been doing strength training all along and have noticed great improvements in the last 2 months. Those extra calories help put on the muscle.

And .. well the ice cream and chocolate have been scaled back. I did gain fat ... and that is all good, but yes, I do not want to get too fat after spending 8 months getting rid of it.

So .. things are working out well and yes ice cream still whenever I like ... as I am definitely not in any bad place.

I have lots of muscle .. and I think that was the issue .. that muscle was just burning all that fat. My "gym girl" told me to gain muscle so that is what I have been working at ... and it works. But .. things kinda went out of control as it contributed to losing a lot of fat.

Thanks for your posts .. but there is still work to do .. I still have some more fat to gain. But not lots .. just a bit.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the body fat percentages from?