For those who are knowledgeable about cal limits!! Help!!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this and am in dire need of some help!

I've been trying to lose weight for about 2 weeks now by eating 1200 cals/day and 1500 cals when I go for a run abt 3x a week. I've managed to lose 5.5 lbs in the past 2 weeks. I'm 5'6.5 and currently weigh about 158lbs aiming to get to around 140lbs. I knew that 1200 cals was probably too low a consumption amount for me, but since I'd switched over to healthy eating for the summer, it's actually been very manageable as I mostly eat veggies, fruits, complex carbs, etc. However, I recently realized that my healthy eating and such a restrictive diet will just not be feasible when I go back to college in late August. I don't want to yo-yo around, so I want to up my intake to 1350 daily for 7 days as I continue with my cardio in order to transition into a higher intake. After that week, I'll up my intake to 1500 cals and begin the 30DS so hopefully if I gain any weight it turns into LBM (with the right protein diet, of course). I entered my stats into the scooby calculator and if I'm aiming for a 20% calorie reduction, it says I should be aiming for about 1502 calories a day. I plan to continue the goal of 1500 cals as I go back to school and restart my cardio there.

Sorry this is so long, but does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm worried my body has gotten used to 1200 cals a day and I might regain the weight I"ve lost once I increase consumption, but honestly my main goal is to continue my weight loss journey in a healthy and reasonable manner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you are knowledgeable on the subject!!

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds reasonable. I am pretty much on maintenance now. I weigh daily so if my weight starts to creep up, I become more aggressive for a few days until it is back down. It seems to be working. In my case, some days I stay around 1300 and other days I let myself eat a lot more. It is difficult to find that balance!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most knowledgeable around here, but while you wait for other replies, I'll wade in.

I haven't double checked your figures, but what you propose sounds fine to me. Kudos to you, for deciding to do things the smart way. Losing 5.5 lbs in 2 weeks, is a bit much for the minimal amount of weight you have to lose. You likely could gain some of that back, in your transition to eating a more reasonable amount. But, for the amount you are trying to lose, a rate of 1/2 lb loss per week, would be great. Don't get too jacked up about the scale #'s while you're transitioning up towards 1500 calories per day. Settle in, and give it some time, then see where you are, and if you're losing. ( slowly )

I hope that helps.

Oh, and some reading while you wait for more replies. Most read links at MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    To lose 18 lbs., set your goal to .5 lb, per week, and be patient. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jessysmith421
    Options
    Thank you so much for the responses so far! Those links you all posted are super helpful!
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think it definitely sounds reasonable..

I started with 1200 net calories as recommended by MFP, but honestly found it too difficult to maintain. I now net 1350 calories a day, and it's sooo much better. It much for sustainable for me and allows me to eat more of the foods I love. Who would've thought 150 calories would make such a difference? Lol
  • graceyykim
    graceyykim Posts: 17
    Options
    It sounds good, but if you ever get stuck definitely try calorie cycling... It's honestly the only thing that ever works for me and I think I will do it the rest of my life, even to maintain.
  • jessysmith421
    Options
    @graceyykim, what's calorie cycling?
  • jones2x
    jones2x Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I have a personal trainer, and he says that cardio does not burn fat. Cardio is specifically lung and heart exercise, and while it does burn a lot of calories, you don't raise your metabolism, so you don't continue to burn more calories at rest. Add in strength training on the days you don't run. Keeping your muscles lean and strong will burn an additional 50 calories per hour when you are resting. Muscle is what converts fat into energy.

Hope this also helps.
  • graceyykim
    Options
    http://www.builtdaily.com/power-of-calorie-cycling/ here you go! There are also calorie cycling calulators online that will personalize a week's calorie intake for you
  • graceyykim
    Options
    It is basically focusing on a weekly net of calories instead of day to day. It is much more natural for us to eat this way. No one normally eats the same amount every day anyways off of a diet :) and you get to eat a LOT a few days a week
  • jessysmith421
    Options
    Thanks for introducing me to it! It sounds really interesting, I think I'm going to give it a try!