Protein Deficiency

Options
Hello there!

This is really hard for me to talk about and I don't bring it up on MFP very often because its extremely personal. However I'm desperate to know if any of you have any ideas as to the answer of my question.

I have several medical diagnoses and most recently I have had some issues that have lead to nutritional problems. This all went down in September. I won't bore you with the details but in September I was experiencing a severe amount of abdominal pain, unable to eat anything but carbohydrates, hospitalized twice and had three exploratory surgeries. All of which got me no where as far as a diagnosis, I'm still in pain but I have recently started with some new doctors that I have high hopes for.

This leads me to my question. My pain is still there and while it is not directly linked with eating, when I eat carbs, it doesn't make it worse. When I eat pretty much anything else, it does. So I've gotten very used to filling up my daily allotted calories with carbs, veggies and anything else that isn't protein related. All healthy choices, I'm not sitting here with a bag of doritos...lol! A month ago I started loosing hair. At first I attributed it to a chemo treatment I got in September. They warned me about hair loss. When I went into my doctor they said at this point its out of my system. My doctors are "baffled" at my hair loss and the amount I'm loosing.

My theory is its because of a lack of protein in my diet. Which makes me incredibly sad. I'm not talking a small amount of hair loss as this point. I'm talking massive amounts. I'm not a vain person, I just would like to have some hair on my head! Like I said, I'm still not diagnosed so I suppose it could be related to that but since eating protein makes me sick I think its probably a nutritional thing. I've read on here where other people have lost their hair but I wanted to know, has anyone reversed it and if so how long did it take before it STOPPED falling out? I've changed my diet massively this week and upped my protein intake from low to 80g and already the pain has been...sigh...whatever the pain is, it isn't killing me but its not fun to be in pain however I refuse to loose all of my hair. I just want to know my body will have stored up enough protein for me to know if this is truly the cause or if I can chalk it up to being another symptom of whatever is racking my body with pain. :cry:

Thanks for reading. :o)

Replies

• MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Tara... I'm so sorry to hear about your health. Do they have a diagnosis yet? Our bodies do need protein. This lack of protein could be causing your hair loss as well as many other symptoms. Is this the same with liquid proteins? Nutritional shakes, etc..???
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found this article. It does indicate hair loss. Read this: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-protein-deficiency.htm
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Wow girl, I am so sorry for your pain. I cant say I understand but I feel for you. I will see if I can find any articles on line that might help. In the meantime try to stay positive and I will keep you in my prayers.

I hope they find out what is causing you this pain.

I am sure it was very hard for you to share your story but perhaps sharing it will help you cope mentally and emotionally!

:)
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    Tara, I noticed you live in IL. If at all possible, go to Mayo Clinic. My husband, who has had many baffling medical illnesses, found relief there. You can go to their website and request an appointment. They are fantastic at discovering what is actually wrong with you. If you cannot get there, I'm sure there are other university hospitals in IL. You are too young to be in this situation. I will keep you in my prayers. Good Luck.:flowerforyou:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In my case, it took 2-4 weeks of treatment before the hair loss stopped. I would think in your case, the equivalent thing to a treatment is the increase in protein. The loss slowed considerably a few days to a week before it stopped.

It took about 4 months before I noticed that it was thicker again, but I was just so happy that it stopped coming out that I didn't care about that as much!

Protein and B vitamins both influence hair loss. Are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Hope you get this figured out soon, and feel better!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I actually have an acquaintance who can't eat meat because of abdominal symptoms like you have described. He has had to become vegetarian because of it, but is still getting his protein intake and all his essential amino acids by combining vegetarian foods. In order to get all of the essential aminos, you have to eat Grains and Legumes or Nuts/Seeds and Legumes or Grains and Dairy in the same day. Although if it is an animal protein problem that is causing your pain, you may need to skip the dairy and just do one of the other two combinations daily. I'd recommend trying to up your protein intake from those sources first to see if that helps with getting the adequate nutritional intake without causing you more pain. By doing this, Matt has actually lost like 20 pounds in the last 2 months and feels 100 times better (To hear him tell it, he's freaking Superman now!).
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    to the op: is it a protein > milk, meat, butter, cheese (?) kind of thing? or can you have beans, seeds, or rich fruits & vegetables? or is it ALL protein?
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I don't have a diagnosis yet unfortunately. Every single one of my doctors want me to go to Mayo Clinic and I currently have a referral. lol...that is a whole other can of worms and unfortunately right now I can't afford to go. I had to go to Mayo Clinic to get diagnosed with my blood clotting disorder 2 years ago and they won't see me until my bill is completely paid off. :o(

Right now I'm taking a vitamin through Nioxin and also using their shampoo. Its an awesome vitamin with amino acids and a great multi vitamin all around but I think I will add more B to the mix. I think I just have to begin to educate myself on all of the many sources of protein other then meat. It makes my heart ache as I have ALWAYS been a gal who loves a good cheese burger. But I would rather not be in pain AND keep my hair...I am so picky aren't I?

I'm thinking of trying to fill some of my protein with a protein shake...any tasty suggestions? Again I appreciate ALL of your input sooo soooooo much! :o)
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    to the op: is it a protein > milk, meat, butter, cheese (?) kind of thing? or can you have beans, seeds, or rich fruits & vegetables? or is it ALL protein?

To me...its all protein. Anytime I put anything in my mouth other then a carb I'm in instant pain. This morning I woke up in horrific pain and the last thing I ate yesterday was a greek yogurt. I think at this point I'm willing to try four weeks of a high protein diet to see if my body can take it. Or as long as I can take the pain. I'm HOPING my body adjusts. If not, I think I will switch to no animal proteins and see if that makes a difference just like people suggested.
  • maffu00
    Options
    I just tried the GNC lean shake vanilla bean today and it was pretty good
  • shannonichole
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and at one point I was so poor that I ate only spaghetti and ramen and I started to lose my hair. I would attribute your hair loss to not getting enough protein and amino acids. Like others have suggested, have you tried protein shakes? i am more careful about my protein intake, but with my busy job I still have to drink meal replacement shakes on occasion.

Could your pain be from your stomach not being able to digest hard foods? Are you eating soft foods that are carbs? Maybe you can chart which foods cause pain and which don't and see if there is pattern? Hope you feel better soon!

Here is something about vitamins and hair loss:
    http://www.progressivehealth.com/hairloss.asp
    :flowerforyou:
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying to fill some of my protein with a protein shake...any tasty suggestions?
    I haven't tried it yet, but I just bought a container of Jarrow 100% Natural Whey Protein. I got the unflavored kind so that I can mix it into yogurt, oatmeal, soup, etc. I've read pretty good things about it, so I'm hoping it really is flavorless since a girl can only drink too many protein shakes :tongue:

I hope you feel better soon! Sending you hugs and sunshine from California :smile:
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hair loss
    So sorry to hear this news. I was suffering terrible hair loss, and I thought I was making it up, but I am sure it has stopped now. I went vegetarian for a while... and basically I didn't realize at the time, but I loss all my energy ( could hardly get off the couch, ut I was still forcing myself to do my workouts) and also I wasnt healing. I had a bit ulcer in my mouth, that I had for about 4 weeks!!
    Cut a long story short... I posed my worry on here... got tips like yourself and:
    Now eat protein with every meal ( basically some meat or fish)
    take zinc pill and 2 spiralina pills every day.
    Result: no more hair dropping in piles on the floor when I brush my hair. Mouth ulcer healed. Heaps of energy all the way till I go to bed. ( no more afternoon naps!!!) and obviously to be a vegetarian is not for me!
    I hope this helps...

Pain in the stomach
    Be aware if you are stressed. When the body is stressed it goes into a flight or fight syndrome and basically all your energy goes to your extremities ready to move and do action( fight or flight) basically. This means often energy to the main organs are limited including energy to the stomach. In high stress cases, people can get the ****s or basically not be digesting their food. Indirectly, it means the body starts breaking down becuase it is not absorbing enought nutrients.. I've worked a lot with cancer patients and basically get them to mediate each day and eat a highly organic nutritious diet. I've seen a lot of people get well.

Im one of your friends, if you want any ore help at all: message me. Much love xxxx
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying to fill some of my protein with a protein shake...any tasty suggestions? Again I appreciate ALL of your input sooo soooooo much! :o)

Allmax Isoflex Chocolate Peanut Butter, Allmax Isoflex Chocolate Mint, Allmax Isoflex Strawberry :)

My faves! YUM YUM YUM...

I had hair loss from Hypothyroidism.. but I know that you need protein to grow you hair, because I decided to cut mine all off and then started to research ways to make it grow faster, well turns out the higher rich protein diet you have the healthier your hair will be :)
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    One more thought. When I started finding hair everywhere, I adopted a German Shepherd pup. They shed all the time, so I didn't notice my hair on every surface of the house as much as I had. The pup provided all kinds of other benefits also... An exercise companion, someone to finish off my meals so I didn't have tom worry about eating in order to not waste food, etc.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    Please have your doctors check your thyroid. It can cause massive hair loss and various symptoms thoughout the entire body. Your body doesn't get the right amount of hormones and reeks havoc on your systems. This is an easy blood test if you haven't gotten it done yet. Hope you get better!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for Crone's disease?
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Or Lyme disease?