Cauliflower Ideas?

Options
sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
I bought a HUGE orange cauliflower at the famers market yesterday and don't know what to do with it. I made cauliflower w/ cheese sauce recently but I'd like to do something lighter but also something that my toddlers will still eat. Ideas?

Replies

• Tilda_P
    Tilda_P Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower with olive oil, cauliflower "rice" served with a lighter version of your favorite stroganoff or Chinese dish, cauliflower mashed potatoes, cauliflower pizza crust with a light sauce and cheese and vegetable toppings..
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Steam it light and arrange in smaller pieces topped up with guacomole, red onion, chopped tomatoes and if you like it chili and coriander. Absolutely a lovely salat.
    For inspiration see this link. Its Danish but Google translate is your friend.. ;-)
    http://viskalspise.dk/opskrifter/salater/blomkålsalat-guacamole.html
    enjoy!

Tips til opskriften

Fin frokostsalat med lune pitabrød. God salat til grillmad, til røget fisk og kød og på en buffet.

Du skal bruge

1 stk

stort fast blomkål

2 stk

store modne avocado

1 bundt(er)

fintsnittede forårsløg

1 stk

udkernet, finthakket chili

1/2 stk

citron ( kun saften)

1 spsk

friskhakket koriander

salt og peber

3 stk

faste, udkernede, finthakkede tomater

Sådan gør du

1Pluk blomkålen i buketter, blancher dem i kogende vand 1-2 minutter, hæld dem i en sigte og afkøl dem under den kolde hane og afdryp blomkålsbuketterne.
    2Hak og rør avocadokødet med forårs- og rødløg, chili, citronsaft samt koriander.
    3Smag til med salt og peber og vend blomkålsbuketter og tomatterninger med avocadosalaten, som anrettes på et stort fad, pyntes med ekstra koriander og serveres.

God appetit
  • HelenCDavis
    HelenCDavis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Roasted cauliflower-cut into florets, put florets in a plastic bag, add 1 tablespoon Olive oil, some seasoning of your choice. Shake the bag so the florets are coated, put in an oven proof dish and roast/bake at 375 for 30 minutes more or less.

Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes", cook cauliflower until fork tender, drain off the water, add milk (your choice of type of milk), some butter ( again your choice), and mash it all together.
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    Options
    I use cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Just cook the cauliflower and drain it well. Toss it into your blender or use a potato masher. You can add a bit of butter or margarine to taste if you wish. I did try adding a bit of skim milk but it got too thin. You have to adjust it for your own family. However mine seems to love it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Cut a whole head into small chunks - so that it fits into the garbage disposer easier.
  • sistrsprkl
    Options
    Cut a whole head into small chunks - so that it fits into the garbage disposer easier.

Lol, that's what my husband would suggest. Thanks for the responses, I'll probably make a few of them because this cauliflower is just ginormous.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Okay this made me laugh!

Roasted cauliflower is super easy, yummy and light.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

:laugh: That's what I would do!! :glasses:
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I just did a casserole with ham, onions, heavy cream, almond milk and shredded cheese. Bake 325 for 40 minutes. You can add onions too.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    Buffalo wing sauce,1/3 cup ww flour, tsp garlic,1/3 cup almond milk. Adjust batter to your desire. Cut c.flower in chuncks, toss, roast! I love this stuff, going to try ranch seasoning w/greek yogurt to dip......headed to do thar now for supa,,,,,,,:laugh:
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Just cook the cauliflower and drain it well. Toss it into your blender or use a potato masher. You can add a bit of butter or margarine to taste if you wish. I did try adding a bit of skim milk but it got too thin. You have to adjust it for your own family. However mine seems to love it.

I LOVE this! I add some green onion a little bit of cheddar and some cayenne, can't get enough of it!!!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower, I love it this way...
    http://sproutandpea.com/2010/12/29/creamy-mashed-cauliflower/
  • graceyykim
    graceyykim Posts: 17
    Options
    Definitely twice baked cauliflower! Me and my partner love it even more than the real thing! :)
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower but that was hilarious.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Aloo Gobi
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/cauliflower-with-sweet-potatoes.html

The only things "spicy" in it is the cumin and ginger but it ends up more like an almost-savory dessert. I couldn't stop eating it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cauliflower-tots.html

This may or may not be the recipe where you freeze it for a period of time. By freezing them prior to cutting it allows them to set up and easier to handle.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I like steamed cauliflower. I haven't tried roasted, but it also sounds yummy.

If you like salads, you can also reserve some raw to chop up as one of your salad ingredients. Or as a nice, crunchy snack with a bit of your favorite dressing.
  • jessiccaahmad
    Options
    this may not be appropriate for toddlers but my husband can't get enough of it.

http://www.laaloosh.com/2013/01/22/buffalo-cauliflower-bites/
  • sistrsprkl
    Options
    Thanks guys. I didn't think of aloo gobi. Next time. I roasted half and pureed half with milk, butter & mild cheddar. They're both good but the puree is awesome, like a super light polenta. My 1 year old approved.