Teachers College in Canada-- Freaking out, help pls!

marchegt
marchegt Posts: 156 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Hey all! ... Random to post this on here, I know, but I figured this is kind of like the new fb so why not!

I am currently in the application process for Teacher's College and was wondering if anyone out there can give me some suggestions, motivation, anything?? I am seriously struggling... I have an excellent average, great experiences, and superb writing skills.. however, putting this all on paper is turning out to be killer. I cant seem to convey my thoughts, answer the questions fully in the room provided, or emphasize my writing skills. It is terrible. I have been working on my Ottawa application for the last week and am still not done, and I have 5 more to go... due December 1st, this in addition to full time classes, volunteering, working 3 days a week, and attempting to write a 22-page research report due the day after my applications...

My career counselor said to write as a teacher, not as a student writing an essay. So, less formal. And im trying, but I am ending up sounding like a child. Its pretty terrible and I have spent more time crying over the last week than I have eating or sleeping (both of which I am not doing very much at all!)..

Does anyone out there have experience with the application process, getting in, suggestions, anything??

Thanks all!!

Replies

• RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Yes, I've been accepted twice.

The essay portion of the application process (this is what you are stressed about, correct?) is only one component that they will evaluate, so first off: RELAX. Usually the question/topic is pretty generic and they want you to explore why you want to be a teacher/what challenges you might face, etc. The key to writing this type of essay is to write a quick outline and then write it as if you were writing to a colleague. You can do this--write with the passion you have to become an educator!

Write a rough draft and then have someone go over it and revise it for you. I've found that they prefer it to be concise and to the point because they will be reading many applications. That being said, the application should have some clear specifications.

Just get it done! You can do this!
  • Good luck on your essay...I'm applying to get into a teaching program in Florida i have to pass 4 sections of a general knowledge test given by the state board of education before I can be accepted.. this includes an essay, and you won't know the topic until the day of the test..the Math terrifys me! Hoping to take the test in January.
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    RaeNicoll-- thank you! Sometimes all it takes is someone telling me to relax, and then i can.. lol. I really do have a passion for it, I decided in Kindergarten that I was going to be a teacher and I've never wavered from that! :) Thank you for the advice!!!

blel0906-- that sounds much more stressful than what I am going through over here!! Good luck with it all !!:)
This discussion has been closed.