Butter question.

Options
pita7317
pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
Making a Lemon Almond Butter for steamed broccoli.
I very rarely use real butter.
Is there a substitute that I can use in it's place that tastes pretty close without all the calories ?
Thanks.

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Blue Bonnet Light margarine. It has 1/2 the calories of butter, but does not taste disgusting like ultra-light margarines and sprinkle-on butter flavoring.
  • wwwsam
    wwwsam Posts: 10
    Options
    Truthfully, I would stay away from margarine an all its Trans-Fats. Real butter is far more healthier for you and your heart.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    On your broccoli, use of light margarines may work for you since broccoli is damp anyway.

Most of the "light" butter and margarines are made that way by the incorporation water. When you melt them, you are likely to see them separate into their component parts as soon as you heat them up. Here's the ingredients list for the Bluebonnet light:

Water, Soybean Oil Liquid, Soybean Oil Partially Hydrogenated, Maltodextrin, Salt, Vegetables Monoglycerides, An Emulsifier, Soy Lecithin, An Emulsifier, Potassium Sorbate, To Preserve Freshness, Sodium Benzoate, To Preserve Freshness, Calcium Disodium EDTA, To Preserve Freshness, Citric Acid, Flavors Artificial, Vitamin A Palmitate, Colored With, Beta Carotene

Ingredients are given in an order that reflects diminishing amounts. Note that water is the first ingredient. That means this margarine includes more water than soybean oil. As soon as you heat it, it is likely to turn into a puddle of oil in water.

If you prefer the flavor of butter to margarine, so-called "light" butters are also made that way by the addition of water so will separate the same way.

For a tasty homemade spread, you can whip together equal parts of softened butter, olive oil, and water and have a great, tasty spread. Like all "light" or "spreadable" butters or magarines, it might make your toast a little damp as it melts but it is good stuff.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Real butter is the best. . . just measure it carefully and account for it in your log.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Going to stick with real butter.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Real butter. I have found that using the real versions of foods makes me more satisfied with less of it.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    lemon juice and olive oil spray and roast in the oven - hardly any calories but great taste
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Get grass fed butter (like Kerrygold) . It's the same nutritionally but it has a stronger flavor so you don't have to use as much.

But if you don't have the cash for it, then always stick with real butter anyway. It's worth the calories.
  • Charcharlottey
    Options
    I used to use the spray butter occasionally..

its not high in calories (I think below 5 for a few spritz of it) it did the job for my blueberry waffles.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love using really proper olive oils infused with lemon zest, peppers, and garlic on my veggies.

Sorry, but I thought this was really funny and thought y'all might get a chuckle...

dc4861de244694cbfb1e3e4f82bc5d97.jpg
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm using coconut oil a lot. I have a cholesterol issue and I did use butter before and may do so again once my cholesterol improves a whole lot.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I would stay away from margarine an all its Trans-Fats. Real butter is far more healthier for you and your heart.

^^^ This. Margarine is gross. Nothing tastes as good as real butter. Alternatively use a splash of olive instead.