How important is keeping track of your macros?

Options
How important is keeping track of your macros when trying to lose weight/body fat?. I'm still a dieting and fitness n00b, but I was just wondering.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fats & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on your goals. If you just want the number on the scale to go down: Not important at all, you can eat pure sugar, stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight if you REALLY wanted to.

If you want to be leaner and reserve the muscle mass you currently have so you're not skinny but flabby once you meet your goal: VERY important. You need enough protein to support that muscle and enough calories that your body doesn't feel the need to eat its own muscle for protein.

What your macros should be depends on your goal as well. People training for a marathon need more carbohydrates than people who sit on their butts all day. Do some research and figure out what an ideal balance would be for your lifestyle. I think MFP starts you off somewhere around 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. Or something similar. Most people on this site who know what they're talking about will suggest that you up your protein to about 30%. It takes more calories to support muscle than fat and your body tends to do its best to conserve itself. . . so it will take the muscle if it feels it needs to. Support that muscle! This is exactly why a lot of people will push weight training while losing weight: it more or less forces your body to keep more muscle as you lose since you're using it regularly. You body knows that it needs the muscle more than the fat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My macros are custom set as 60%carbs, 20 percent fat, 20 percent protein. I have a medical condition that requires me to eat a low fat diet.

I rarely meet goals perfectly, but I always keep my fat low and my fiber high. (Lots of veggies!)