Professional Cooks, Chefs and Kitchen Workers on a diet

Options
I work in Kitchens and have for almost 20 years. Working in an environment like this can be pretty challenging for those of us trying to reduce. Snacking is a big part of my work day because a break isn't a guarantee. An eight hour day with no break is the norm in MANY kitchens, and many cooks tend to eat on the run, or not at all. Are there any MFP users who have trick to tame the "snack beast" or any cooks out there who know the trade and have developed techniques to make it through the day without either starving or eating every little morsel that comes their way?

My mom used to be amazed at how hungry I was when I would get home from work, "How can you be surrounded by food all day and not get anything to eat?" It's a cruel situation, for sure!

I try to be very conscience of my food choices,I try to pick "dense" foods that will fuel me for a long time and my rule is that I have to write it down BEFORE it goes in my mouth. But there are days that are too busy, with too long of a rush and I find myself marathon eating, beef trimmings, veggie scraps, noodles, cake crumbs, whatever happens to get in the way of my gaping maw.

I need a way to check that bad habit, the "waited to long" habit. I need a way to head that habit off at the pass, because once I go there, I'm like a junkie, and I just don't say no. To any food, at all, ever.

Suggestions? Ideas? Tips? Help?

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a decent breakfast before I go, and bring fruit to work for snacks.

I really don't have time to sit down and eat any 'meal' and I'd rather not eat mindlessly. So, I taste food as needed and snack on my fruit but don't really have a meal until I get home. I figure all the tasting sometimes adds up to the calories of a light meal.

On the off chance that I do sit down and eat I focus on protein and salad/veggies.

I have forced myself to quite eating scraps, crusts, etc. It is the most unsatisfying way to eat, and the calories are just not worth it.
  • littleprim
    littleprim Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    OHMYGOSH
    YES
    ME
    i live on scraps of fries and tartar sauce all day and then beers after it's so bad
    but i find that it helps to keep some fruit stashed in the back and be drinking water constantly, have a big cup or bottle and make sure it's always full
    and the Expos at my job are super sweet and will always get me tea, i make iced jasmine tea and sip it all day
    another thing is to get in the habit of checking myself, like am i really hungry? or am i just snacking because it's there? or because i just did 100000000000 bills in like 15 minutes and i feel really stressed out hhaha
    when it's stress i just try to joke around with a cook or expo that i like a lot and they calm me down and i can resist the fries
    but yeah also running to the back to grab a couple bites of apple when i have a second is soooo helpful
  • essa78
    essa78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so very much! Great ideas and solutions!