did I really burn 300 calories in 65 minutes walking

Options
13»

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    i thought the same thing about my hrm but after talking to my doc she said that its right. if you jogged in place to keep your heart rate up i see no problem with you burning 300 calroies. as far as yoga goes it really doesnt burn alot of calories

The yoga I'm doing does cuz it's fast paced and makes me sweat. It's specifically for weight loss. So, your doc said the hrm are correct? Even ones that aren't connected to your chest the entire time? I can't afford one like that for at least a few weeks so that's why I bought the cheapy one that reads your HR at rhe end of the workout.

If you're annoyed at having spent money on this watch which isn't giving you the 100% accurate readings that you want then return it while you can and wait the few weeks til you can get the better one. (Keep exercising in the meantime...) Doing any type of movement is better than nothing, and if you're not sure of the burns which MFP gives then err on the side of caution and eat back half your calories.

Then, when you get the new (and better) watch, pretend it's a clean slate with all this stuff and just go by what the watch says. Or ask questions then if you're still not sure.

Less money, hassle and irritation this way.
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    it is almost impossible to out-exercise a bad diet (once you have hit your maintenance calories for the day)-- it is so easy to eat 500 calories (and takes quite a bit of exercise to burn it off).

Of course, you can eat anything you want staying within your calorie goals and still hit your targets (whether it be weight loss, maintenance, or weight gain).
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It seems like this question could be resolve with a lot more simplicity.

Here's what I'm hearing in the answers:

Realize that your HRM is fairly accurate but it's not perfect, just like all the oher wrist worn HRMs.

Realize that all of the tools you are using are nothing more than decent estimates.

Eat accordingly to the info MFP and the other tools provide. If you eat back half of your exercise calories you will have a decent, safe margin for error.

Realize that your weight loss does not need to be based on perfect numbers to be successful. It's the long haul that counts.

Stress less. You only have 5 pounds to lose and the healthiest way to do that is to relax, be patient, and let the numbers be your guide, not your prison.

At 5 pounds overweight and 23 years old you are probably already gorgeous. Let yourself enjoy the process of eating healthier. The devices and websites are tools. The scale and your measurements are the only real gauges over time.

Repeat: Relax a little. 5 pounds is not a health crisis. You're not dying here, you're fine tuning your health.

Stress is worse for you than eating a couple hundred calories over your limit occasionally by accident.

To quote Capt. Barbosa, "they're really more like guidelines than actual rules."