Weight Loss: Round Two

Options
Hey everyone! I'm kind of in need of advice and all that.
A year ago I managed to lose ~22 pounds in about 6 months. Then, after meeting my bf (and lot's of eating out)...my weight went up. He is also wanting/needing to trim down too at ~280 pounds at 6,2 (I'm making an educated guess on that).
So I'm currently ~154 pounds at 5,4. Problem is, I'm very hungry such that my stomach is audibly growling. I'm aiming for 1300 calories per day. Any tips? Advice?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase the number of daily calories to a more sustainable number. 1300 is too low.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can have more than 1300. Eating too little will just make it harder because you WILL be hungry and that affects your general energy and mood.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You have to increase the number of calories as you are stated that you are very hungry, by eating so few calories your metabolism had slowed down to a crawl.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I did use the scoobyworkshop to figure it out. And I got: BMR: 1492, TDEE: 1791, Daily calories: 1343. Any suggestions for filling foods? I know beans are supposed to be good.
  • bombshellinprogress
    bombshellinprogress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know that you've probably heard it before but chug water!
  • abear007
    abear007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Dieting in a way that makes you hungry all the time isn't likely to succeed. Counting calories never worked for me - and yes, with that low of a calorie intake your body will go into starvation mode.

Instead of counting calories I'm just cutting out all sugar and grains - even the so-called "healthy" whole grains that really aren't healthy as they cause higher blood insulin spikes than candy does. Fruit in moderation (not fruit juice) is okay, but there are certain fruits to avoid, like the ones really high in natural sugars.

The good thing is, the weight is coming off, I don't have to count calories and I'm not hungry all the time.
  • rmcminn89
    rmcminn89 Posts: 37
    Options
    make sure you're eating the RIGHT calories. sure, you'll probably lose at 1300 eating whatever you want. But if you eat lots of protein, moderate carb and watch your fat intake, you shouldn't be hungry. Whole grains and lean proteins are the way to go!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised you got 1343 based on your BMR and TDEE. What did you input as your goal? It may be that your goal is too aggressive, and you need to realistically prepare for a slower but steady weight loss. I would suggest bumping up your calories to about 1500 for a couple of weeks, and monitor your progress.
    It's hard to give specific food suggestions without being able to see your diary for what you are already eating, but generally speaking try to get fiber and lean protein at every meal/snack and drink lots of water. Veggies are very low in calories so you can eat lots of them. Other than breakfast, I try to make at least half my meal consist of veggies. I personally love bell peppers (different colors for different flavors), cucumbers, broccoli, and celery. Raw veggies make a quick and filling snack, and you can pair with hummus, low-fat cream cheese, or even a small amount of peanut butter or guacamole. Also good for snacking are low fat string cheese, hard boiled eggs, and air popped or low calorie microwave popcorn.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    I'm surprised you got 1343 based on your BMR and TDEE. What did you input as your goal? It may be that your goal is too aggressive, and you need to realistically prepare for a slower but steady weight loss. I would suggest bumping up your calories to about 1500 for a couple of weeks, and monitor your progress.
    It's hard to give specific food suggestions without being able to see your diary for what you are already eating, but generally speaking try to get fiber and lean protein at every meal/snack and drink lots of water. Veggies are very low in calories so you can eat lots of them. Other than breakfast, I try to make at least half my meal consist of veggies. I personally love bell peppers (different colors for different flavors), cucumbers, broccoli, and celery. Raw veggies make a quick and filling snack, and you can pair with hummus, low-fat cream cheese, or even a small amount of peanut butter or guacamole. Also good for snacking are low fat string cheese, hard boiled eggs, and air popped or low calorie microwave popcorn.

I entered fat loss 25% calorie reduction, which is tough, I know. But I'm a pretty healthy 26 year old with a slow metabolism (thyroid).
    I'll open my diary up if i can figure out how to do so. But for breakfast I had: mocha (instant coffee & hot chocolate packet), a bit of hashbrowns, two sausage links, and one egg. For a total of 300 calories. I'm planning on getting protein in mornings, veggies for lunch/dinner.
    My stomach just feels tight, like hungry.
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am in a way doing the same thing... the first tie around I lost 75lbs! but then moved in with bf, got custody of his kids and my daughter does the every other year thing with me and her dad... I gained back about 30lbs (yikes) so I am here at about the point you are. MFP tries to tell me Is should eat 1245 cal...ha! I upped my self to 1350, most days I am ok with that. but there are some days when I am really hungry... Sometimes I do 100 cal oatmeal packs with a full banana or half an apple (a full appl is way too much for that little bit of oatmeal) keeps me fuller longer than cereal or the silly breakfast biscuits (though those are tasty lol) greek yogurt, and peanut butter on apples or celery are my go to snacks... but other than that I am trying to remember what I did the first time... that seems to just melt off the weight.

I started MFP 11/2012 at 220 LBS got down and stayed right around 145 lbs in just under a year and stayed there for a few months, now I'm at about 157 (5'4) and for the most part just holding ...
  • DanielleH1213
    DanielleH1213 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP gave me 1200 calories as a limit. I went with it for a few weeks. But in the beginning I just logged everything I ate to see what I was eating. I could see where I would be able to cut out somethings or switch out items for healthier choices. I started eating more veggies and fruit instead of other snack foods. It is amazing how many carrots you can eat and still have a low calorie count. Once I started to see patterns I just would make small changes and see how it went. About a month ago I realized that I was eating about 1400 calories a day (because I would eat some exercise calories back) and I was losing weight more those weeks that the weeks I tried to just stick with the 1200.

Just remember it will take time. And you will have plateaus. Just keep pushing through and you will be good.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    I am in a way doing the same thing... the first tie around I lost 75lbs! but then moved in with bf, got custody of his kids and my daughter does the every other year thing with me and her dad... I gained back about 30lbs (yikes) so I am here at about the point you are. MFP tries to tell me Is should eat 1245 cal...ha! I upped my self to 1350, most days I am ok with that. but there are some days when I am really hungry... Sometimes I do 100 cal oatmeal packs with a full banana or half an apple (a full appl is way too much for that little bit of oatmeal) keeps me fuller longer than cereal or the silly breakfast biscuits (though those are tasty lol) greek yogurt, and peanut butter on apples or celery are my go to snacks... but other than that I am trying to remember what I did the first time... that seems to just melt off the weight.

I started MFP 11/2012 at 220 LBS got down and stayed right around 145 lbs in just under a year and stayed there for a few months, now I'm at about 157 (5'4) and for the most part just holding ...

It's hard, that's for sure! Especially when one has a bf who eats a lot of pizza :/
    I think I might buy some greek yogurt, the few times I've had it I felt like I'd had a full meal.
  • sportychic87
    Options
    Ok. So now my food diary is open to the public. Mind you, it only shows two meals so far. :-)