My Vegan Journey

Options
2»

Replies

• joeybaby66
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single footstep, or something like that. One day at a time. be patient with yourself. It takes time to put weight on. It will take time to take it off, but it will come off. Don't give up. Anytime you need some support, log on and you'll get it.
  • Pange33
    Options
    I've been trying to go vegan for exactly a year. I made it 3 months solid (but when I caved to things I got right back to vegan, instead of getting mad, and giving up). I did not excercise or go to the gym (which I do NOT recommend) but in 5 months I lost 15 pounds! I'm 5'10 and I was about 210 lbs. The lowest I've ever weighed is 180 at 15 yrs old, so it's not like those 15 lbs would've been easy for me WITH excercise. This was without even trying, without tracking calories (also NOT recommended), I pretty much ate whatever I wanted-as long as it was healthy, not like Oreos and Nissin Oriental ramen.

What I love most about eating a vegan diet is that what I can't eat, isn't good for me anyway. Sure, there's plenty of vegan junk food. But I find that my energy/overall wellness runs low ALOT QUICKER eating vegan junk food, than omni junk food (ex. spicy sweet chili doritos vs. classic chicken fingers, at least the fingers would fill you with protein). I just plain feel great when I stick to a vegan diet!! This time I will incorporate food and excercise!

So I am so happy for you in making this decision! Stay motivated, don't worry no matter how little/much excercise you CAN do for now. Sticking to vegan eating will go a long way for you, just make sure you get enough protein (I'm always craving chicken fingers when I neglect my protein), and don't neglect your vitamin B12! If you cave to something, brush it off and get back on track. I know your vegan journey will go far, one day at a time!
  • c1romero
    c1romero Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

Wishing you good luck on your journey.

Here are some essential tools along my vegan path:

The Kind Diet Cookbook by Alicia Silverstone - this thoughtfully written book is not only packed with great recipes, but is kind in its message of working toward a vegan path. Good nutrition information as well. You can order at a discount with free shipping from http://www.thekinddietbook.com/uof/thekinddietbook/ps/

Fat Free Vegan - this blog is my go-to when I open the refrigerator and say, hmmm, what to do with leeks, broccoli and spaghetti squash?
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Peace and Blessings,
    Christine