Mistaking discomfort for hunger?

Options
Has anyone else found themselves eating when they're uncomfortable instead of just hungry. It seems like often my brain will recognize ALL stomach aches or illness as "hunger pangs" and the more discomfort I feel, the more I want to eat. I have a lot of food issues, so I often have stomach pain that isn't hunger related but I still find myself grazing through the fridge in an attempt to make the feeling go away. I know I just need to stop, but am I alone in this?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely indigestion can fool me sometimes. And pain and general discomfort is, I believe, well-documented as a cause of overeating, too.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone in this, if the body doesn't feel right it will try to fuel itself, another cause is that we all have an emotional connection to different foods, - I wont get into it in detail, but eating has an effect on our brains releasing chemicals that make us feel good, and also enable us to sleep easier - both reasons why anyone not feeling 100% will look towards food for comfort.

Comfort eating, as you obviously know, can become a massive problem - but the best way to address it is to control what is making you uncomfortable in the first place.

Love x
  • mneuls
    mneuls Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of water, I've recently went from a very unhealthy diet (>5000cal/day) to a relatively healthy one, and i'm finding myself constantly hungry, and craving sugary foods. I have to say that a glass of water fills me up and stops much of my cravings/hunger.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Whew so good to know I'm not crazy! :)
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    The reason is that you are not satisfied with the variety of food you are eating or you are eating less than your need each time. Eat sufficient according to your need. It feels you relax and full.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes sometimes it happens with me that I was hungry and after eating I didnot feel comfortable, I think it is due to you are not interesting on what you are eating, eat only healthy things that is good for your body, the reason for stomach pain is you eat anytime and it may be due to obesity.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yes, I understand very well - for me this is happening when I am tired. My brain tells me TO EAT to get energy but in fact I should take a rest.