Correct way to use the Elliptical Trainer?

Options
So, I've read "bouncing is considered cheating. You're letting gravity do too much of the work for you."

Does anyone have thoughts on correct posture while on the elliptical?

Trainers - help! How do I get the best workout I can on the elliptical?

Replies

• rana_bear
    Options
    this probably isnt much help.. but a trainer at my gym told me NOT to lift your feet of the pedals. I was lifting my heels off and apparently this is cheating. Starting doing it with my feet flat on the pedals and its definitely harder.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I find that lifting my heels works my calves more, which is something I want right now. I also use the arc trainer and treadmill when I do my cardio workouts but nothing else works my calves.
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    On the posture question, I'd say stand upright and not hunch. I've seen people hunch over and/or lean heavily on their arms and wrists, bending their back. This can't be the right posture! "Shoulders back, tummy in, and head up" like my Naval Officer Dad used to say!
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    I was curious myself, so I've been experimenting.

If I let my heels come up, my heartrate stays around 140, if I force my heels to stay down, it pushes it up to over 150. (I also feel the burn alot more).

I find it alot easier to keep my heels down when going in reverse, it's pretty hard when going forward.

That's my experience, hope it helps =)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink this--and don't let some trainer overthink it for you either. Just go on the darn thing. Other than not supporting your weight on the handrails, there is no "right" way to work out on an elliptical. Try and take a natural stride and stay relaxed--if your heels come up, they come up.