How many fruits and Veggies a Day

Options
Hi there all of you,

Can someone clear up for me what is a good amount of fruit and veggies to eat in a day if I am wanting to loose weight. I have a couple biggest loser books and they say at least 4 servings daily of fruits and vegetables.... So does that mean I can say eat an apple and a banana and then 2 different veggies.....

Is it okay to eat more fruits.... Say a banana, orange and an apple in a day?

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    eat as much of it as you like :) the more the merrier!
  • rana_bear
    Options
    What are your countries guidelines??? in Australia we have a big campaign promoting 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables. This is all based on tonnes of research by nutritionists, etc. I eat heaps of fruit but i'm trying to cut down to 2 serves due to the high sugar content.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    eat as much of it as you like :) the more the merrier!

Definitely!
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    Per this website: http://www.lifeclinic.com/focus/nutrition/food-pyramid.asp
    Fruits 2-4 servings a day
    Vegetables 3-5 servings a day

Also if you choose foods that are high on the glycemic index it helps keep your blood sugar more level. A good understanding of the glycemic index can assist in weight loss and help control diabetes.
    Read about it at this website: http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/articles/glycemic-index/

Choosing complex carbs instead of simple carbs helps maintain blood sugar levels as well, helping your body maintain a good balance & not crashing quickly after food consumption. More easily said, choosing "brown" foods instead of "white". For example wheat bread and pasta instead of white, wweet potatos instead of regular potatos, brown rice instead of white etc. etc. Ex. of other simple carbs: carrots & bananas. Simple carbs break down much more quickly in the body, causing a peak in blood sugar and then a decrease quickly. Complex carbs break down more slowly, giving your body a nice even "reaction". If interested, I would recommend googling complex carbohydrates vs. simple carbohydrates to get a better idea of what I am talking about. :)

I know this is a lot more information then you were asking for, but I figured I would put it out there in case it helps. :)
  • gibran30
    gibran30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For those of you that say eat as much as you want.... I thought if you are trying to loose weight that you shouldnt eat as much as you want... because the fruit does have sugar in it
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    For those of you that say eat as much as you want.... I thought if you are trying to loose weight that you shouldnt eat as much as you want... because the fruit does have sugar in it

but it also has fiber. and it's natural sugar, not processed sugar. so the sugar is the good kind. still, you want to mix it up.