Fitness challenge number one!

mccorml
mccorml Posts: 622 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
okay guys so i have been recieving these fitness challenges and advice in my email and i thought they were spam so i opened one up today and found this and it intrigued me..

Guys tend to abandon the pushup for the bench press sometime around puberty. Which is why you usually have to wait in line at the gym for a bench while there's always plenty of floor space. But the once-forgotten pushup has recently muscled its way back to the top of the exercise universe. Why? Because it not only builds a powerful front façade to your physique, but also develops the support system behind that musculature. "They're also a great way to judge how strong you are relative to your body weight," says Martin Rooney, P.T., C.S.C.S., author of Ultimate Warrior Workouts.

SO IS THE CHALLENGE PART OF IT

Test yourself by doing as many pushups as you can in 3 minutes. Rest whenever you want, but keep the clock running the whole time. Fifty-five is average, but if you can't reach 75—what strength coaches consider "good"—then you need to either gain strength or lose weight. Our 7 variations on the classic pushup will help you do both. Weave them into your daily workouts to build strength, power, and sleeve-busting muscle.
DID YOU KNOW? Sleeping more than eight hours a night leads to fat loss, sleeping less than six hours a night leads to muscle loss, according to a new study. Want more great health and fitness insights?

So i read it and decided that i would try these everyday to see if i could do them and so i did it
and i made it to exactly 75 pushups with about 3 seconds left i asked my room mate who weighs 20 pounds more than me but he bench presses 275 and he did 75 in a minute and then walked away making me feel like a sissy

So heres the challenge try this and no matter how many you got post them and we can have a discussion or something you know also id like to know through feedback if this is a good idea and if i should keep posting challenges like this daily or weekly

Lance :happy:

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    If you are interested in improving your push-up form/endurance, try the hundred push-up challenge at hundredpushups.com -- I am doing it right now and there is an on-going thread with our activity. Feel free to join.

What exactly is the challenge here? Seems like a one time thing. Am I wrong?
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    eh kinda if you do 55 i think it says average and 75 is good condition idk i did 38 pushups in a row which is pretty impressive for me
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    I STINK at pushups!! i've recently started doing them and realized i am totally lacking in upper body strength, which apparently is typical for us ladies :/. anyways, since i've started i've noticed i'm gaining muscle definition in my shoulders. i can only do them in sets of 12, not sure how many. i will count next time. this sounds like a good challenge to me, though, since i am always too overwhelmed to get over to the weights with all of those muscle-y men hanging around!
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    oh yea- and i totally did NOT know that about the whole sleep thing! here i am, depriving myself of sleep because i am a night owl... i will start going to bed early and see if that makes a difference. thanks!
This discussion has been closed.