the ARC trainer...a bit of humor

macw1_2000
macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok...so most of the equipment, I'm an idiot on. I can't jog on the treadmill without watching my feet and the thought of taking an aerobics class is mortifying since I'm such a dork. So my trainer has me mixing it up on different equipment and has taught me how to use all of it but there are a few that I haven't tackled until today really.

So I hop on this frigging ARC trainer and yeah, I was tired - I had already done most of the circuit and I have been saving the garbage I didn't like until last. I tuned up what I thought was right and OMG...i WAS LIKE FLYING OFF OF THIS THING. I couldn't slow it down, pressed all the buttons, adjusted the weight, I felt like I was on the Carol Burnett Show. I had to hit emergency stop and still almost fell off of it. I hope the trainer doesn't mind but I CAN'T do it. Not that I don't WANT to but I'm too much of a friggin idiot to do it.

And he wants me to tackle this other thing that looks like a ski slope...did that yesterday and had to quit after looking like I was doing a drunken split.

As much as I hate the step mill or the elliptical, put me on THOSE for two HOURS before I fall on my face. I have good teeth and I would prefer not to bust my face up while I'm trying to lose the pounds.

Replies

• nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    oh man.. i tried the Arc trainer for the first time tonight! I was thinking i should mix up my cardio, and my feet were flying. i'm pretty sure i looked like an idiot! i didn't know which of the bars to hold on to to get the best postion. yikes... i did it for 25 minutes though and it SAYS i burned like, 240 calories, although, i know deep down i burned more than that. i will try it again because i feel it really gave my legs the best workout all over. just, hopefully i won't look so silly next time. :) good luck!
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    How did you get it to slow down???? I couldn't stay on it because it was going to so fast!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    I LOVE the arc trainer! The first time I tried it I could only do about 5 minutes before my legs were killing me. But now I can do 30 easily and have even done 45 minutes. It burns a lot of calories, but not too many more than I can do on the treadmill. It's a killer though, that's for sure!

I do have to warn people about one thing. One day, as I got off the machine, I didn't step far enough away from the pedals and one came slamming into my ankle. My tendons and everything were bruised for almost two weeks. So when you're getting off, make sure you step well away from it!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    How did you get it to slow down???? I couldn't stay on it because it was going to so fast!

I'm not sure what brand you were on, but I use a Cybex. The speed is controlled by your feet only (or arms too if you're using the handles) but there should be resistance buttons somewhere. Next time you try it, check out the instrument panel before you actually get on, just so you know where things are.
  • nellajane24
    hmmm... i don't know, maybe we are on different machines?? mine was slightly similar to an elliptical, only moved so much faster and smoother. it was manual, so i just grabbed the side bars and lifted my weight up on occasion to get some upper body workout, and while doing that i just slowed my "pedaling". i don't know if that makes any sense, sorry :(
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    I know my gym has gotten in some new equipment which supposedly is the latest rage.:laugh: I forgot what it's called but it's a cross between an elliptical and a treadmill. I think I have that right? Is this what you all are talking about? I've not tried it yet as there are only 4, not that everyone is all over them or anything, I'm just not familiar enough with them yet to have used them to much. Well I have actually tried them out but not for long as I didn't want too look stupid.... I know...the things we worry about. :blushing:

If I saw someone else look like they might not know quite how to work a machine, I wouldn't think bad of them and if I wasn't in the middle of a workout I'd go over and offer to help if I was familiar with whatever one they were on. But it's funny how we worry so much about what others will think of us, hee hee hee, they're probably thinking, "OMG, how much time do I have left to do this thing!" Not "OMG, look at HER"..:laugh:

The times I've thought, OMG look at her or him, it's like WHOA...check them out, they are flying and I was impressed not thinking what a loser. Now just to get that in MY HEAD:wink::laugh: :tongue: :blushing:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Great how to video with tips, yay, now I'm feeling brave enough to make it a part of my regular workout! Cheers for starting this topic!:drinker: :wink:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2351670_workout-arc-trainer-cardio-exercise.html
  • nellajane24
    Great how to video with tips, yay, now I'm feeling brave enough to make it a part of my regular workout! Cheers for starting this topic!:drinker: :wink:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2351670_workout-arc-trainer-cardio-exercise.html

thanks so much for posting this!! now i can look like a pro! :)
This discussion has been closed.