What keeps you motivated?

Options
I have tried numerous diet attempts and always fail, I either am too hungry (sometimes starving) or very stressed out. Please share your thoughts and help me make this a successful run.

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Small non-food related rewards. I used to do it according to weight, but sometimes the weight just wasn't moving and I didn't want to lose inspiration. So it would be things like, if I stayed within my calories 6 out of 7 days, or I got in 4 days of exercise within a week, or I could avoid junk food for a certain number of time, then I would...buy a new book I wanted, get a manicure or pedicure, treat myself to a movie I wanted to see, etc. Give yourself small rewards for even the small successes. Usually something visual helps too to remind you why you have it.

You'll do great. This site will definitely help. Great support when you reach those "weak' moments.
  • cnorris84
    Options
    Hmn Small Things, like McDonalds? Lol, I believe my biggest weakness is that I hate to workout alone, and when I don't have that someone telling me to stay on track, then it is very difficult, especially when your in a hurry and that $1 cheeseburger just seems so convenient.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Support is a great thing, and this site is excellent for that. I am sending you a friend request :)
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I too am terrible with being accountable to just myself or even my family. I have always needed someone who I feel guilty for lying to or turning on that will push me and drive me. This time it has been very rewarding for me to announce to all my friends and family what and how I am doing. When I get home from a walk I text several people to tell them what I have done. I also post every exercise on Facebook. I have given everyone the address to this site and told them to check on me daily. I also found that this time I have found something that I want really super bad and the only way for me to get that is to weigh 114 pounds less than what I do today.

I hope I have helped. Good luck to you this time.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Supporting others on their journey:flowerforyou:
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I might just be a really introverted person, but I'm mostly motivated by myself. Any positive change that effects the way I look or feel, just grants me that self-inspiration to make bigger, better changes. It seemed like an impossibility when I first started, but now when I look in the mirror I can actually see the body that I'm after. I have to squint a little bit but I know it's there, just have to sculpt away the inessential, which is done by chiseling away at my nutrition and exercise.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated by the thought of reaching my (achievable) goals, and my motivation is kept high by MFPs :-)
  • silverkaylah
    Options
    When I'm feeling down if I have a bad week and stay the same weight, I use tins and packets of food from my kitchen cupboard and weigh out my total weight loss. Feeling in actual weight how much I have lost since starting my diet boosts me right back up.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i tend to book classes when im feeling lazy so i cant get out of them and someone makes me work out :p my inspiration is mini goals and non-food related treats like a magazine or something :) my weakness is cakes though so i will say once ive lost another 2lb i will treat myself to a mince pie for example - I just try and work out harder to keep it in my allowance

re: eating when youre stressed out (i do that), i read a good signature on here recently - if hunger isnt the issue then food isnt the answer - very wise words they stuck in my head :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling down if I have a bad week and stay the same weight, I use tins and packets of food from my kitchen cupboard and weigh out my total weight loss. Feeling in actual weight how much I have lost since starting my diet boosts me right back up.

I like that!

On days when I'm feeling down put something on that used to fit, ( Usually a skirt or pair of trousers) and laugh as they fall to the ground!

I have given most of my old clothes away. ( gone down 2 sizes) I think some times it takes a while for your head to catch up with the changes to your body.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the motivation only when I get it in my head that I'm trying lose weight...if I think of it as trying to live a healther life to be around to raise my son then I do much better staying on track.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I walk alot with my co-workers for motivation. Also when I walk alone, I bring my Android phone and have this free app called Cardio Trainer. It tracks my distance/pace also gives estimated calories burned. I walk 1 hr. 5x a week. every Saturday I keep pushing myself to up the amount of distance I cover in that hour. I started @ about almost 1 mile back in Dec. '09. As of last Saturday I did 4.5 miles in that same 1 hr. I even jog a bit of it too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have tried numerous diet attempts and always fail, I either am too hungry (sometimes starving) or very stressed out. Please share your thoughts and help me make this a successful run.

Maybe you shouldn't "diet." I mean, when you try to stop yourself from eating what you like all the time and cut your calories so low that you are always hungry, it normally ends bad every time.

Just make healthier choices without kicking yourself for having something fattening every now and then. I ate a pizza last night with extra cheese and alfredo sauce...and probably consumed enough calories for nearly 2 days in one meal. But you know what? It was good, I enjoyed it, and today I will just exercise a little harder and keep moving on.

Try not to restrict anything from your diet because when you do that, and when you "fail," you give up. But when you allow it, you continue going anyway and you get more success.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I try not to let myself get hungry - so I eat 3 meals and two snacks a day. I also try to find something inspirational and write it in my journal each night, refer to it each day. Like today: "Successful people do the things that unsuccessful people don't like to do." Like sticking with a healthy eating plan & exercise. Finally, even though I have 25 lbs to go - I keep in mind as long as I'm trying, and even if I never lose another pound, just maintain what I have - I am 150% better off than continuing the same old patterns that got me to 400 lbs in the first place.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated to eat well and get to the gym because I'm getting married in June and don't want to regret how I look in my video and pictures. I'm not doing anything real specific in terms of "dieting." I'm just trying to meet my calorie goal in MFP on a daily basis. I also am happy if I can get to the gym 3-5 days a week, preferrably the five days. I actually treat myself to a Dunkin Donuts coffee if I pass the three day mark. I just love their coffee and it's a small reward without the calories.:-) It must be working. I've lost ten pounds in the past month.

Shannon