Hedging a late night snack--Should I or shouldn't I?

Options
LoryBear
LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
It's currently very late where I live, and I'm a bit of a night owl. I anticipate sleeping within an hour, but I'm feeling slight hunger pangs. I know I'm currently far below my daily calorie limit, but would eating this late still hurt me even if it's just a little bit and I'm about 700 calories below what I should be for today?

Replies

• daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The eating after 6pm thing is a myth. As long as you burn more calories than you take in within a 24 hour period, you are good to go. Being hungry is what tends to set people up for failure. Go ahead and eat as long as it fits in your calories and other stuff limit, then you are good.
  • LoryBear
    LoryBear Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :)
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with Daniel. Don't make any excuses to be that low on calories. You get your allotted calories for a reason, so eat them if you don't mind. :)

And I would be hungry too if I was 700 calories below. That is more than 1/2 of my daily allowance. So yes, eat and eat well.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... make it fit your macros and enjoy it!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Eat all the foods up until that caloric mark for the day
  • Mommygotbig
    Mommygotbig Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    don't be hungry. Ever. You can add an extra walk the next day. But don't be hungry.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eat. I always have a light snack just before I go to bed. The foods and amount depend on what I have left over from the day in macros but I really can't sleep on a totally empty stomach
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said... Eat and enjoy it... :happy:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Make sure its lean protein nothing starchy or anything that will sit in your body...
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want (within caloric and macro limitations) whenever you want it and go to bed whenever you want.

Its a myth.

I eat right before bed some days...I am losing still. My schedule can get hectic- so its frequent that I dont eat asap in the am- and I eat late sometimes...never really consistant with times of day for eating- doesnt matter.
    What matters is that you ARE eating the proper amount of calories. Having 700 calories left over at hte end of the day is hurting you WAY more than any worries about time of day...
  • adamwilson544
    Options
    Its good to health have light snacks before bed. Its not effects on calorie Gain.

Read here this useful article: http://goo.gl/gCEx4b
  • abadvat
    Options
    Make sure its lean protein nothing starchy or anything that will sit in your body...

Why?
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Because your metabolism slows down or are you being sarcastic?
  • Reldano
    Reldano Posts: 2
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! Good to know.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Based on what science?
  • grannykaren57
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie ... it really doesn't matter when you eat your allotted calories. I work nights, and I get home late and eat my dinner around 9 pm.

You were given a certain about of calories per day due to what you filled out when you signed up for this program based on how active you are in a given day.

So.. lets say you are burning 2000 calories a day, and eat 2000 calories a day, then you will maintain your weight. If you wanted to lose, you would eat less.

Hope this helps.

One note.. if you eat considerably less than what you're suppose to, your body will think it is in starvation mode and stop losing to protect your body from starving to death. Not that you would, but it thinks you are in need of help.

Good luck on your journey.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie ... it really doesn't matter when you eat your allotted calories. I work nights, and I get home late and eat my dinner around 9 pm.

You were given a certain about of calories per day due to what you filled out when you signed up for this program based on how active you are in a given day.

So.. lets say you are burning 2000 calories a day, and eat 2000 calories a day, then you will maintain your weight. If you wanted to lose, you would eat less.

Hope this helps.

One note.. if you eat considerably less than what you're suppose to, your body will think it is in starvation mode and stop losing to protect your body from starving to death. Not that you would, but it thinks you are in need of help.

Good luck on your journey.

Starvation mode? Do you know how long without any food it takes the body to show metabolic degradation?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Are you being sarcastic because eating before bed has zero relevance to weight loss. I've lost 53 lbs eating the bulk of my calories right before bed.
  • abadvat
    Options

No, not being sarcastic at all and no, your metabolism does not slow down just like it will not jump start with a breakfast or will increase with 6 small a day.

Eating carbs at night is as good as eating carbs during the day.

This is not bro science or any type of mystical thing that happens to elite people only - it is 100% pure and founded science.