Question for Banks and/or all Bikers

Options
snelfk
snelfk Posts: 151 Member
Yesterday I posted that I had gotten a Polar F11, and how much MFP under valued the the cals burned. Today I rode my bike 12 miles in 58 mins. (that's 12.4 mph) and MFP calculates the cals burned to be 552. Now, my HRM says I burned 1,052! Is that right?

I'm sort of afraid to eat those extra cals, I've been consistent at losing a half to one pound a week since Jan.

So, my questions is, do any of you wear a HRM while biking, if so, what amount of cals burned are you getting for your rides??

Banks, just wondered what you thought since you've stated that you own the Polar F11...

Replies

• snelfk
    Options
    Yesterday I posted that I had gotten a Polar F11, and how much MFP under valued the the cals burned. Today I rode my bike 12 miles in 58 mins. (that's 12.4 mph) and MFP calculates the cals burned to be 552. Now, my HRM says I burned 1,052! Is that right?

I'm sort of afraid to eat those extra cals, I've been consistent at losing a half to one pound a week since Jan.

So, my questions is, do any of you wear a HRM while biking, if so, what amount of cals burned are you getting for your rides??

Banks, just wondered what you thought since you've stated that you own the Polar F11...
  • mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hmm well i also have a polar f11 and bike at about 12 miles per hour, and my calories/hour is usually around 500....i would definitely be wary of this, funny it would be so far off though....
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I have an F6 but 6 of one....

Anyway, if your Polar is telling you that, and otherwise the numbers are usually right, then I would go by that. It all depends on what you are doing, what gear the bike is in, what size you are, what kind of bike, are you riding against the wind, up hill...etc.

If it was a difficult day then I'd say it was right. Now, you should check your polar to make sure it's registering the right heart rate, I mean, if it's showing you at 90% or so and you aren't breathing heavy, well, there is something wrong. I know that happens to me every once in a while. That will really screw up your numbers. But if the watch looks right then I would trust it.

FYI, if I run for 58 minutes at a brisk (80% max HR) pace I burn about 1300 plus calories, so I do believe that it is possible and actually likely if your heart rate is anywhere above 75% max or so.
  • snelfk
    Options
    Thanks Banks... it said my heart rate was at 96% max, but it didn't feel like I was working really hard, not a difficult ride just normal - I was breathing hard, but not heavy.