advice needed

Options
I recently set myself some goals and changed my settings to incorporate some of the changes i was making......soooo here comes the long bit.!!

I had put myself as sedentary, and wanting to lose 1-2lb a week. I was a full time mum of 3, aged 13, 8 and 3. Recentley i started work in a playgroup (kinda like kindergarden for my U.S. friends), the children are all aged between 2 and 5. So i looked at my settings and changed it to lightly active, adding 3 x 30mins exercise sessions a week. I only work about 3hrs a day, and it falls around when i would normally have my lunch, which has truely messed up my diary and has sometimes resulted in take aways (bad girl:mad: ).

So in the last week since i made the changes to my goals my scales have shot up 7lbish!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad:!!!

I have just come off TOM and do have a bit of the flu bug thats going around my area, also i am diabetic with high blood pressure, taking medication for both. I was so disappointed with the weight gain that i put my settings back to sedentary yesterday, but is it this thats caused it??? I've been in my job several weeks now and its only been the last week I've put this weight on.......is it the flu bug......is it the goal change.........HELP!!????:flowerforyou:

xjox

Replies

• carbonboy
    Options
    Unless you have a truly active job for 8 hours a day, I would leave it set at sedentary with whatever your weight loss goals are. Sounds like 1-2 pounds a week is good. But then when you do an exercise, do NOT consume that equal amount in extra calories. Shoot for maybe half of what you burned during your activity. A good "general" rule of thumb for women is to consume about 1500 calories a day, and try and burn about 400 calories a day through exercise. That would put you at about 1.5 pounds lost per week. But again, these are very general guidelines based on an average woman's caloric needs in the area of 1800/day to maintain current weight.

Oh, and I doubt you actually gained 7 pounds in a week. That would be equal to eating an extra 25000 calories, which is nearly impossible. So there's probably something else going on there with your illness, or other external factors.
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    To pefectly honest it could be both combined. When do you weigh yourself? You weigh different the later in the day you do it as you've eaten and drunk etc and this is in your body, showing you not at your true weight.
    Give it time to see off this bug thing but stay at your new goals for a few weeks, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you've been to the bathroom and before you have breakfast. This will be your true weight. If you start to go down you know it the bug not the new goals.
    If after a few weeks without the cold but trying the new goals you're still going up! Then you know you need to change back.
    Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • indianajonex
    Options
    DON'T PUNISH YOURSELF, we are soooo good at that.
    There are 100 things that can cause a weight gain. Maybe half of that gain is muscle, this will accelerate your metabolism and start loosing weight again next week without doing a change.

We can't control everything, just breathe, do what you know that has worked for you so far and go easy on yourself.

Take aways are always tricky, bring something from home instead if you think that'll help.

3 boys, new job, husband busy... and YOU ARE STILL TRYING!! remember that!! That's a strong woman!!! I can't imagine it, I'm your age, work as freelance, no kids, and it's hard for me in other ways. There's always something. Don't give up, just be nice to yourself during this bump on the road. Hugs from Spain.

Jane.
  • xojox
    xojox Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    thank you!!
    I have left my fitness goals the same as i know this is needed to motivate myself. I thought 7lbs was a bit extreme, my body has been known to do this dury the times when water retention is bad, and maybe with this bug this is the problem!! its just so disappointing :ohwell:

xjox
  • indianajonex
    Options
    Remember to drink water, that helps with the retention!!