What to do with all the food I'm not going to eat

Options
I have quite a few items in the pantry that are not going to part of my diet anymore. Cereals with sugar for example. I guess they are going to a food bank nearby. Any body else ready to purge the pantry of things no one is going to eat? If so, what is it?

Specifically, I'm getting rid of Quaker Oat Squares cereal. It is advertised as heart healthy, but it has added sugar, and I have given up refined sugar.

If I am going to splurge on refined sugar, it will not be Quaker Oat Squares. :noway:

Replies

• einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have never given up eating anything so this was not an issue for me. I still eat the same stuff I always did---just less of it.

That being said, if I did I'd either give it away to people I know or donate it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Whenever I change my focus, I want only foods that fit in with my current lifestyle. Right now I am pretty happy with what is in the house. I would however like to get rid of my husband's candy stash in the tv room and in the bottom drawer of the fridge.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would purge the house of peppers, brussel sprouts and cauliflower if I had my way.

Not sure why you seem to think the cereal advertising is misleading just because it has some added sugar. Good idea to donate to the food bank though, hate to see good food going to waste.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would purge the house of peppers, brussel sprouts and cauliflower if I had my way.

Not sure why you seem to think the cereal advertising is misleading just because it has some added sugar. Good idea to donate to the food bank though, hate to see good food going to waste.

I don't think it is misleading. Personally, I think adding refined sugar to breakfast cereal is a bad idea. Not a good way to start the day in imho.
  • CMarieVirginia
    Options
    I know what you mean. My first few days of MFP I was over in sodium. It was because I was eating canned/packaged so-called healthy food. But I soon realized that there are HUGE quantities of SALT in packaged food. At my age too much salt is equivalent to asking to have a stroke. Eat close to the source--food that hasn't been processed. It will end up being healthier anyway.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I don't think it is misleading. Personally, I think adding refined sugar to breakfast cereal is a bad idea. Not a good way to start the day in imho.
    Depends on what you are doing really - if I'm going out for a long cycle then sugary cereals are perfect fuel, 80g bowl of granola with a banana in it gets me a long way!
    I don't have a sweet tooth and find a lot of mainstream breakfast cereals far too highly sweetened, most days I much prefer to choose cereals like porridge oats or 100% wheat and add my own sugar to taste.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I get rid of anything I no longer want to eat. One time I looked in my closet and a box of low cal cereal had congealed into a solid block. :-) it's not a problem.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I guess if you are going to all food Nazi on yourself like that then give to the food bank if not opened and throw away whatever else is opened. I eat what I want to. I don't have anything in the cabinets or fridge/freezer that I CANT eat.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Donate it. If you aren't going to eat it, someone else will.

But, food pantries are plagued with foods loaded with salt and sugar. Balance your donation with foods that are also more healthy. Low income families deserve health too.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have chickens. They'll eat anything.

If they're unopened, you might try a food pantry. Birds really will eat your sugared cereal.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    In for sugar vs. sugar lolz.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few items in the pantry that are not going to part of my diet anymore. Cereals with sugar for example. I guess they are going to a food bank nearby. Any body else ready to purge the pantry of things no one is going to eat? If so, what is it?

Specifically, I'm getting rid of Quaker Oat Squares cereal. It is advertised as heart healthy, but it has added sugar, and I have given up refined sugar.

If I am going to splurge on refined sugar, it will not be Quaker Oat Squares. :noway:

Invite a friend over and tell them to go shopping in your pantry? Bring the bars to work, put them in a basket and put them out somewhere.. I'm sure everyone will love you for it.

Edit: Sugar isn't the devil FYI
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Put it under ''free'' on Kijjiji, it will be gone asap!
  • Marnie102
    Marnie102 Posts: 13
    Options
    Give it away. If you don't see it you won't eat it. It is a great feeling and you will feel like you are on your way!!!
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of donating it to a food pantry or local homeless shelter- we sure have a huge turnout lately at the small food pantry my church runs- summer months see far less donations as people tend to get busy and it's so far away from the Thanksgiving/holiday season, when we see most of our donations.

It's also great if you can donate your gently used clothing that doesn't fit anymore to the same places- to churches and shelters-

Good luck!