Disappointed

Options

Replies

• ChrisMullis
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's kind words. I just need to get out of the mindset that this is going to happen overnight.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You've done a lot of good progress with your weightloss, and I'm sure in general it's just a little bit of a plateau. However, I took the liberty of peeking at your diary. And I'm guessing it's not accurate. And that's ok. I'm not judging. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that as you continue along losing weight your accuracy might become more and more important. When you start off at a high weight just eating right and moving more might be all you need to get the scale moving in the right direction. But eventually your plateaus might become more frequent. Very accurate and honest logging of intake can help with that.

And if your diary is accurate, then I personally think you'll have more energy and consistent success if you eat more. I see days of 1000 calories. Days of 1300 net. Now an then isn't too terrible, but if this is accurate and you regularly do this, then I recommend aiming for a little higher most days. Just my two cents.

I try to be as accurate as possible.
    Out of interest which bits make you think it might not be accurate. :)

Maybe a more precise word I should have used is "complete." That I wondered if your diary includes everything you eat... But some people do the whole fasting thing, so maybe those are your fast days.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options
    You've done a lot of good progress with your weightloss, and I'm sure in general it's just a little bit of a plateau. However, I took the liberty of peeking at your diary. And I'm guessing it's not accurate. And that's ok. I'm not judging. I just wanted to make sure that you knew that as you continue along losing weight your accuracy might become more and more important. When you start off at a high weight just eating right and moving more might be all you need to get the scale moving in the right direction. But eventually your plateaus might become more frequent. Very accurate and honest logging of intake can help with that.

And if your diary is accurate, then I personally think you'll have more energy and consistent success if you eat more. I see days of 1000 calories. Days of 1300 net. Now an then isn't too terrible, but if this is accurate and you regularly do this, then I recommend aiming for a little higher most days. Just my two cents.

Maybe a more precise word I should have used is "complete." That I wondered if your diary includes everything you eat... But some people do the whole fasting thing, so maybe those are your fast days.

Oh no I literally eat like 1300 cals a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's kind words. I just need to get out of the mindset that this is going to happen overnight.

how long did it take you to lose the first 99lbs?
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

If you are working out as much as you say you are, you should be eating back at least half of those exercise calories. Your deficit is already built in to the MFP number so you should try to hit the net calorie goal they set for you in order to fuel your workouts. Do you weigh and measure your food to be accurate? I noticed that when I started weighing what I thought was a cup wasn't a cup, and I was eating more than I thought. However, in your case that might not be bad, as an adult male you should probably be netting more calories. I net around 1800 a day and I'm still losing about 2 lbs a week..I run 3 days a week, lift 3, and rest 1. I'm also 5'10 and female...

ETA: gender
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

Stressing over the numbers on the scale!! Do you feel better than you did last week? Do you feel stronger than you did last week? Don't let the number on that scale slow you down or stand in your way. There could be SO many reasons that the number didn't change and trying to figure it out will just drive you nuts. I put my away and it does nothing but catch dust except for once a month.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

I lost 108lbs but put about 20 back on. It took 15 months to lose 108lbs.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

If you are working out as much as you say you are, you should be eating back at least half of those exercise calories. Your deficit is already built in to the MFP number so you should try to hit the net calorie goal they set for you in order to fuel your workouts. Do you weigh and measure your food to be accurate? I noticed that when I started weighing what I thought was a cup wasn't a cup, and I was eating more than I thought. However, in your case that might not be bad, as an adult male you should probably be netting more calories. I net around 1800 a day and I'm still losing about 2 lbs a week..I run 3 days a week, lift 3, and rest 1. I'm also 5'10 and female...

ETA: gender

6 days a week without fail. I try to do an hour each time I go in. 20-30 mins cardio, treadmill, elliptical, bike. Then 15-30 mins weights.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

Stressing over the numbers on the scale!! Do you feel better than you did last week? Do you feel stronger than you did last week? Don't let the number on that scale slow you down or stand in your way. There could be SO many reasons that the number didn't change and trying to figure it out will just drive you nuts. I put my away and it does nothing but catch dust except for once a month.

I feel great. Healthier, more alert etc. I also feel stronger. Should I weigh in less often?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

so why suddenly so stressed about one week without a loss?
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

Because its been 2 weeks since I put a stop to the gains and really re-focused to be honest.
  • WhatAnAss
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

I feel great. Healthier, more alert etc. I also feel stronger. Should I weigh in less often?

My answer would be yes. When I first started out I weighed in almost every hour. I was desperate to see the numbers move. When they didn't it made me feel terrible. Like I was doing it all for nothing. I took my scale and put it on a shelf away from the bathroom and only got it out on the first of every month. It helped me so much. I can't speak for anyone else but I know it was a huge stress relief for me.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Because its been 2 weeks since I put a stop to the gains and really re-focused to be honest.

you're just being impatient.

if you're still not losing in 4-6 weeks then you might want to look at your numbers again, but until then, just keep at it and ignore the scale!
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

you're just being impatient.

if you're still not losing in 4-6 weeks then you might want to look at your numbers again, but until then, just keep at it and ignore the scale!

OK thanks.

Helpful words. I appreciate it.
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

My answer would be yes. When I first started out I weighed in almost every hour. I was desperate to see the numbers move. When they didn't it made me feel terrible. Like I was doing it all for nothing. I took my scale and put it on a shelf away from the bathroom and only got it out on the first of every month. It helped me so much. I can't speak for anyone else but I know it was a huge stress relief for me.

I think I will stick to weekly weighs but not get so hung up on it not moving. :) you look great by the way. Your difference pic is incredible.
  • WhatAnAss
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

I think I will stick to weekly weighs but not get so hung up on it not moving. :) you look great by the way. Your difference pic is incredible.

Thank you! And good luck to you! Definitely don't let the numbers get you! You're doing great just keep it up!
  • ChrisMullis
    Options

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you! And good luck to you! Definitely don't let the numbers get you! You're doing great just keep it up!

I will. You too :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Chris, you're doing great but eating so little especially with the workouts you're doing long term isn't healthy. You could eat far more, still lose 2lbs a week and maintain more muscle mass in the process (so keeping your metabolism higher). I strongly recommend that you have a read of this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

As a comparison I'm 41y-o female, 5'6" currently 186lbs (started at 303lbs Mar-13). My workout routine generally is Mon 30mins cardio, tues 30mins weights and 1hr Running Club, Wed, 30 mins cardio, Thurs 30min weights and 1hr Running Club, Fri either rest day or 30mins cardio, Sat 5km Park Run (so around 30mins), Sun long run (usually around 10 miles/ 90-120mins). I'm burning an average of 2850 a day and eating on average 2100 a day (just reduced the deficit as have upped my running mileage to 25-30 miles per week and am hungry! Plus I only have around 30lbs to go).

The trick isn't to lose as fast as possible, its to lose in a healthy way maintaining muscle mass and reducing the changes of crashing and binging (or if you have the willpower to avoid the binge then doing damage to your body through lack of nutrients).

As I say you're doing great but do have a read of the link above as it will definitely help you IME. :flowerforyou:
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I weigh in on Thursdays...... If I am not perfect on the weekend I know it. I don't want to be depressed by the scales on Monday. Chris u r doing great and one of these times you'll hop on the scales and be down more than you expected!:drinker:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?
    You're expecting weightloss to be linear and it isn't

THIS ^^^

2 weeks is a blip on the screen.

Things to consider: what are your goals? Are you grossly overweight with much fat to lose or are you leanER and seeking body comp changes? how much are you eating and what is the quality? Are you working out too much for the energy consumption? those last 2 points are especially important if you are leanER and seeking body comp changes vs. having significant fat to lose.

with all that said: when u start a new workout program especially if it's much diff from your prior activity level your body is adjusting. VERY common to add water and glycogen when starting a new program - strength training involves tearing and repairing muscle which = pumped with water.

And! Stay off the scale so darn often