Wearing a stomach sweat band for hours...

Options
So as you can see by my tracker I have lost a a lot of weight the right way, diet and exercise. I told myself when I lost 30 pounds I was going to focus on my stomach. When I was trying to get lipo, I was told(by the doctor) after the procedure you have to wear this tight fitting corset to help with lose skin. I am losing a lot of weight in my stomach and it's getting lose and I want to start wearing a sweat band.

Before anyone gives me advise about strength training, I am waiting until I at least lose 50 pounds before I start working on muscle CARDIO HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME THE PROOF IS IN THE POUNDS!!!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your actual question is? If it's should you wear a stomach band wrap type thing? Well you can if you want but it will have absolutely no effect on loose skin and probably just be uncomfortable. My guess the band type thing was more about post procedure than loose skin. As they were trying to sell you the procedure trying to reassure you about possible loose skin it wouldn't surprise me that they implied this

Loose skin is a lot down to genetics, age and the amount you have to lose. It can take up to two years post weightloss for it to retract the amount it will overall.. If you still have some left then and you wish to remove it your only option may be surgery. I have some loose skin not huge amounts I am pretty hopeful it will retract quite well but if it doesn't I'll live with it as its better than the option of being morbidly obese with the life and longevity implications that has
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    So as you can see by my tracker I have lost a a lot of weight the right way, diet and exercise. I told myself when I lost 30 pounds I was going to focus on my stomach. When I was trying to get lipo, I was told(by the doctor) after the procedure you have to wear this tight fitting corset to help with lose skin. I am losing a lot of weight in my stomach and it's getting lose and I want to start wearing a sweat band.

Before anyone gives me advise about strength training, I am waiting until I at least lose 50 pounds before I start working on muscle CARDIO HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME THE PROOF IS IN THE POUNDS!!!

:huh:

The band is a post op thing to help with the healing process. If you want to wear it, go for it, but it is not going to make much difference in your stomach. If you want to retain the muscle you already have, you should start strength training now and not wait until the 50 pound mark.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    During liposuction, the fat between your skin and muscle is liquified and removed. This basically separates the skin from the muscle, so wearing the compression garment afterwards for a few weeks is done to help the skin adhere back to the muscle and not hang loosely.
    It is not the same as when you lose weight and the skin gets loose, but I have wondered myself if wearing one after weight loss would help with the sagging of skin. I would think that if you have loose skin, then exercising would increase the pull of the skin and maybe make it worse. I know some people who lost a lot of weight, wore compression garments while exercising until they were ready for skin removal surgery.

Mostly this is genetic, and depends on age, how much weight you lose and how quickly.
    Some people's skin tightens up fairly quickly after even large amounts of weight loss, and some will sag even after a small amount of weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The band is a post op thing to help with the healing process. If you want to wear it, go for it, but it is not going to make much difference in your stomach. If you want to retain the muscle you already have, you should start strength training now and not wait until the 50 pound mark.

^ Correct advice. All exercise burns fat, but weights keep your metabolism higher than cardio. Do a full-body strength program, not ab exercises.