Upper Arm Workouts?

iamstaceywood
iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have batwings. When looking back on my much earlier pictures, what I had were not arms but, actually, Ham HOcks with hands on them. It was awful how huge my arms were. Now, I think they may be more proportinate but, they are just gross hangy chickenflesh. HELP!! I'm doing plenty of cardio but, I don't know crap about toning up. Someone tell me exactly what exercises will tone up that saggy baggys and I'm on it! All I have at home is two two lb handweights, a treadmill, and a ton of dedication! If I need soemthing, just tell me what it is, otherwise, point me in the right direction.
Thanks so much guys!

Replies

• LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    The bigger muscle in your arm is your tricep work on that more than you would your bicep.

If you dont have access to a gym you can do tricep dips.

If you do have access there are a variety of different activities you can do. I personally prefer tricep pull down.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

There are arm exercises in there with how to videos.
  • Ok.... let me go hunting...

Dumbbell-Triceps-Extensions.jpg

The idea is 'this' is the starting position, and what you want to do is extend your arm until it's straight and repeat 3x10 you should feel this in your tricep (the opposite side from your biceps) muscle.

Basic bicep curls will help as well as some shoulder work, and definitely some push ups, the idea is to try and tighten the skin in the whole area rather than just your arms.

The problem is losing weight we are going to get loose skin, sometimes that skin might snap back, sometimes it might take some time, I suggest just keeping on doing what you're doing and try those exercises to see if it helps.

You're doing fantastic! :)
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Pushups should help so include them into your cardio.
  • my first thought is push ups. then arm curls for you biceps, and the triceps work in the picture above.

i personally use the sculpting DVD in my kickboxing DVD's. i love how it has toned my arms. let me know if you want more info.

as for the weights...if you aren't doing a 20/40 minutes workout program...you can use about anything for weight: laundry detergent bottle, dish detergent bottle, milk jug, water bottles....if it has a handle then it will be easier. if you are using both hands, handles aren't as important, but it will need to be bigger/heavier.
    if you google strength training at home, you should find tons of options. be careful...start out light and then move up. typically, start out doing 3 sets:
    1st set, 10 reps. rest for 30 seconds. 2nd set, 12 reps. rest 30 seconds. 3rd set, 15 reps. Then move onto your next movement.
    OR you can do one set of 10 reps of all your movements. then come back and to 12 reps of all the movements. then do a 3rd round of all the movements, doing 15 reps.

message me if you want more help. but if you google fitness magazine, woman's health...you should find lots of help if you want to do your own program. however, if you are new to strenght training, i highly suggest that you get a DVD and follow that till you learn proper movement/techniques. with the proper positioning of your arm/hand, you can get GREAT results. with improper positioning, you will do damage to your joins/arms.
    cheering you on!
    Jane
  • fitnewlife
    fitnewlife Posts: 339 Member
    I suggest you do pushups and dips. Do pushups as many times a week as you can. Look up the 100 pushup challenge on the internet, it's a great start.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Thanks guys!! I'm on it! Sadly, I cannot complete a pushup. If i am going to do some, i normally do them against the counter because i can't get all the way down and all the way up otherwise. I know its less effective but, i just am not able to get down and up. I can't even do girly pushups. I realy want to fix this weakness! I hate the lack of upperbody strength. Oh yeah, and the saggies suck too. :)
    Regarding the tricep dips, think i could do those at the bottom of my stairs? or maybe i have a farmers bench for my dining table, maybe on that? Hmmmm.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    OK, this is a two minute version of a very complicated answer.

1) There is no such thing as spot reduction, you cannot target fat burning to one specific area
    2) There is no such thing as toning. You can not make your skin tighter, you can only make your muscles bigger. Your skin will shrink under it own elasticity.

Based on the fact that you can't do a single push up it sounds like you need to build strength allover. Doing just arm work will cause disproportionate muscle growth. So maybe your biceps will get stronger but your forearms will stay weak (just an example) and since in real life you use multiple muscles at a time to perform most tasks working a single muscle is next to pointless. You need to do compound muscle exercises to build full body strength. Exercises like squats, deadlift, bench press, etc.. Barbell exercises are the best way to build proportionate muscle strength as well as body weight exercises like push-ups, pull-ups, dips, etc...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Kettle bell! Beautiful arms, back, and shoulders. Look into Lorna Kleidman's book Body Sculpting for Women.
This discussion has been closed.