Best in home workout?

Options
Ems500c
Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
Can anyone suggest a good in home workout to lose weight but at a beginners level? I understand I will not start day one and be 100% but I also do not want to die while I am doing / or after the exercise!! I do have a gym membership but that does not always happen when life gets in the way. If I have a in home workout before work, I think I might be more motivated to do that, than get ready and drive t the gym. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone in advance!

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chris Powell DVD, or just search his workouts on Youtube.
  • jj04evs
    jj04evs Posts: 6
    Options
    One of the women in work is doing T25 by Shaun T. She has seen great results in the first week and it's also enjoyable. It's 25 minute intense workout, but there are different people doing different levels of the exercise so you can follow either one of them. Hard 25 minute work, but that's it, all done :)

Good luck
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    set up an obstacle course in your house or your yard .. i use my stairs too , up and down and try to challenge the amount of times i did previously..or use the bottom stairs as a stair step and go up and down that with weights in your hands . planks , crunches , jumping jacks , the list goes on what you can do in your home ,.. i created my own workout plan at home and i have a treadmill so i use the c210k
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on Youtube? A hub/wife team that have a large variety of free workouts!

Also, Jillian Michaels... 30 day shred... dripping with sweat at the end, so I know I did some real work!
  • fireman1277
    fireman1277 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Emms,
    When I decided to join Fitness Pal in March the first thing I did was to see my doctor and dietitian and they suggested to me that at my age 62 (NQDY)..not quit dead yet!! and weight, that a reduction from the 2500 cals (for a male) to 1700 cals would mean a weight loss of a pound per week could be the result.
    Simply, if you could do the same as I did and see your dietitian and reduce your intake of food by 3500 cals per week (no matter how much you weigh) it would mean a pound loss in weight....without exercise!!!!!
    I have found out that over the 90+ days my average intake of food is just under 1700 cals.
    I apologize, I may of started to confuse you with the numbers but after all this time my body only needed 2200 cals per day and not the recommended 2500 cals (ie.500 cals less).

You have got to stick to weighing ALL of your food!!!!! Everyday!!!!!

God luck...John (retired Fireman)...Now Hypnotherapist

PS. if you are serious about using the gym in the future don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat. So your body shape may change but your weight may increase due to muscle growth!!!!!!!!
  • peanutbutter_runner
    peanutbutter_runner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels! :) 30 Day Shred is always a good one. Short, sweet, and effective.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com
  • hmontigney
    hmontigney Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna put in another vote for 30 Day Shred. I'm currently doing it and it's short and very effective.
  • MsSmitty77
    Options
    Check out the Nike+ app. They have a ton of workouts for every fitness level. It is a free app!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    FITNESSBLENDER.COM
    !!!!!!

I moved recently and the new apt has linoleum (old one had nice, flat carpet). I tried to work out last week and almost killed myself slipping on the sweat. Now I need a large workout mat. More money, more money, more money!

But, yeah, fitness blender is awesome. They have beaucoup workouts of all types and they are free.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Check out the Nike+ app. They have a ton of workouts for every fitness level. It is a free app!

YEAH! That's a good one.
  • brainsndbeauty
    brainsndbeauty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have two favorites right now..

My first is on youtube Keaira Lashae Fun 3 mile walk. Its really fun!! and it doesnt feel like 3 miles at all. ( SHe was on TheVoice)

and I just ordered the ZUMBA Incredible Results. I got mines during a 4th of July sale for like $71 dolllars... But it was SO WORTH THE MONEY!!!.. It comes with 4 dvds and a stepper. Its really fun to do at home. I have a thing for dancing and doing exercises that don't feel like exercises amd both of these are definitely like this.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning - Great starting progressive body weight exercises

http://amzn.to/1ygUARl
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    30 day shred, t25 (both only about 20-25 minutes :) ) Tirbojam is fun but longer (most days), I like to find some on pinterest too to change it up or if I need a quicker worlout :)
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think T25 is a good program, both for beginners and people with more endurance, etc (the original program includes Alpha and Beta. Gamma is an extra pack that can be purchased if you want more advanced workouts). I really like Shaun T's personality and feel he's an inspiring (yet not overly cheesy) instructor in the DVDs. I also like that the 2nd stage (beta) is more strength-focused (I felt like his most famous program, Insanity, was lacking in that area. I don't particularly recommend Insanity, especially not to a beginner. I may mix in some of those workouts to my routine in the future, but it's very high impact).

I've been doing a program called Tapout XT that I'm really enjoying... it's an MMA-style workout. It can be tough, but you could work at your own pace and do what you can (it comes with a resistance band, but I've bought a pack of them separately so I can make it easier or harder for myself as needed).

I think many exercise DVDs could be adapted to fit your needs... you can always modify harder exercises or just keep up as best as you can until you are able to work up to it. I would recommend picking something you're interested in (e.g. Zumba if you like dancing.. or in my case Tapout since I am interested in MMA). That way, you hopefully won't mind (or may even ENJOY) your workouts. With Tapout, I am someplace in that range... :)

Hope that helps!
  • Enlightened2014
    Options
    Walk, take a walk outside get some fresh air and meet your neighbors. I started with 15 minute and now do 1hour 7 days per week after dinner. My doctor has been telling me for years just walk 30min everyday, and have ignored him until now. I was really surprised on how many calories I can burn walking, then I can eat more to meet my MFP.

I have a couple of the videos, and even a gym quality elliptical in my living room and they just don't bring the mental and emotional balance I get from walking outdoors for me. The videos were too intense for me when I first started training too, now that I have lost some weight and train 3 mornings/week at gym, walk nightly I actually might make it through the videos.

Good luck
  • ladyglock28
    Options
    21 Day Fix by Beachbody. Good workouts and eating plan.
  • Ems500c
    Ems500c Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking your time posting these suggestions! Looks like I have a lot of homework to do but that is a great thing!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Try your local library and see what you can borrow (DVD wise) for free. Might give you a good start and you can see what you like without spending any money.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree, T25 is a great workout for all levels because you can start out following the modifier and move up to doing the moves at a more advanced level as you progress.