teeth extracted...what to eat?!

Options
Hi everyone,
I had two of my upper molars, one from the left and one from the right extracted 48 hours ago. I have been following the advice of my dentist...swilling with salt water and I am in no pain whatsoever at the moment,

However, I have been eating very soft foods...mainly ice cream and jelly and was wondering when it would be okay to progress onto more substantial foods? The thought of eating harder foods, even bread, makes my tummy turn, thinking I would hurt the extraction sites! I am feeling a little weak, due to lack of nutrition, although I havn't stepped on the scaled yet. I guess I have only eaten 400 cals these past 2 days and I'm sure this is the reason why I'm feeling so tired.

What are your experiences with tooth extraction and when did you start eating normal foods again??

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chichi1967
    Options
    I had that done not long ago with my wisdom ... I dont know if you like veggies. but steam veggies til there soft & take little bites...make sure there soft enough if you need to mush them with your tongue. Protein shakes. mashed potato's (just watch what's on them) Good Luck

Lynda
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of pudding and apple sauce to start with (the ice cream was too cold) and when I moved back to solid foods, I had pasta for a while.
  • jean51
    jean51 Posts: 29
    Options
    Scrambled eggs or any eggs for that matter would be soft enough plus this would give you a good amount of protein. Cottage cheese is another soft substantial food. Oatmeal would also fill you up. :drinker:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    anything soft.
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Non-fat greek yogurt with some fruit cut into small pieces. Oranges and kiwis work particularly well. It'll be high in protein and vitamins, and will require minimal chewing. Also, try drinking Kefir, or as someone else mentioned, protein shakes. You could also have soup.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Smooth-ify everything!

For some much needed carbs; blend an apple (chopped w/ peel), light cranberry juice, quick oats, ice and cinnamon to make a Cinnamon Apple Slushy.

For some veggies; blend frozen mango, frozen blueberries water and spinach for a Mango Spinach Smoothie. You will NOT taste the spinach due to the sugars in the mango. Because you are using frozen blueberries as well the smoothie is purple rather than green (fresh blueberries will make it freckled and green'ish)
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    how about soup? Anything that's mostly broth or you can put a lot of soups through the blender. I can't imagine trying to live on jell-o and ice cream or even yogurt. I would sweet out.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I make soft boiled eggs and then chopped them up real good and add a little smart balance. It makes kind of an egg spread and then you can make some toast (lightly toasted) or just plain soft wheat bread and spread that on it................yummy and filling!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    wow...thank you for all your replies! I'm just about to make some porridge and will definately have some eggs for lunch..Popping out to do some christmas shopping later, so will pick up some shakes and some vitamin C tablets to help with the healing.

I've really had enough of ice cream and jelly, especially as I'm more of a savoury type of gal to be honest..

wonder how long it'll be before I can start eating normally??

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    MIne took about 2 weeks before I felt comfortable eating regular foods. Don't eat yogurt, the cultures can cause infections. I ate a lot of soups to satisfy my savory side-broths, squash soup, any smooth or pureed soup and real juice popsicles or pudding for desserts. Eggs, smoothies etc. are great too. I was able to keep my nutrition pretty close and still be fairly energetic.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My hubby just had extensive dental surgery yesterday. He ate my potato soup last night. We had oat meal this morning and spaghetti with marinara sauce tonight and I will make stew tomorrow. I will use ground beef instead of stew meat and then mash the stew with a potato masher to make it easier for him to eat.