Walking as form of exercise??

Options

Replies

• mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love walking. Right now I have heel pain so I have to limit it, and take days off. I used to hike up a local hill daily. It is paved, with two ways to go--steep or leisurely climb. I'd go steep and it would take about an hour to get up and down. Lots of people would walk it 6-6, and I'd see many people with their canine friends.
    It gave me a tight butt and thighs, which I still have, and I don't walk it four times a week like I used to!
    My arms are flubbed out though (sigh)
    I'd put in my earphones and listen to TED Talks,
    or else enjoy the birds, the wind, or whatever sounds were around.
    good for the soul
  • KD0BIK
    KD0BIK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, I spent much of 2013 and early 2014 walking at least 5 miles a day (10,000 steps) tracked via my Fitbit and lost 50 pounds. Yes walking works along with managing my diet via MFP.

Good luck!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I cant get to the gym I up my steps on my pedomter. So far so good. Sometimes that's the only cardio I can do.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm almost down 35 pounds by strictly walking every day for 35-40 minutes with my dog.

I'll bet your dog is happier too : D
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I had to walk as a form of exercise for 4 weeks post-op, and I lost plenty of weight. But remember, the calories still matter, as well!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I walk, run, do elliptical, circuit train, weight train...I guess my point is mix it up and keep it interesting and you'll lose weight. Manage the diet too! It's an all around healthy lifestyle thing you should be looking for!

You can walk your *kitten* off if you manage your diet and are dedicated to walking and keep after it!

Good luck!
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's doable. Take a look at this success story (link) and a quote from how he got there! Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1339501-140lb-down-i-ve-reached-my-initial-goal-with-pictures

BEGINNING QUOTE
    [/quote]
    All I've done is walk and calorie count. I use a FitBit and when I started, I built myself up to five miles/day and now I normally manage between eight and ten miles/day at an average speed of around 4.4mph.

I always eat a large percentage of my exercise back.

I didn't change what I ate at all, I still eat all the rubbish like pizza once a week, fish and chips on a friday and on a thursday I visit my aged mother who cooks me a full meal. It's only recently I've started added more healthy options in.

If I'd had to dramatically change what I ate, I wouldn't have managed it.

This has taken around a year - Here's a plot from the 'weight diary' app on my phone. As can be seen, I've only broken the trend three times, christmas, new year and when I had a long weekend away in February with my wife.
    trend-20140625-183825.png
    [/quote] END QUOTE

Oops! The quote didn't quite work. So let me try to fix it manually!
  • Nanpoodle
    Nanpoodle Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great form of exercise, esp. if you walk fast. I only walk 2 miles a day with my 2 standard poodles. :wink: :wink:
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I love taking a quick 20-30 minute walk over lunch. It keeps my day from being so droll and I get my hind end moving. I've lost a bit too. :)
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    . :embarassed:
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep...10000 minimum steps a day for 399 days--plus a modest calorie deficit for most of 'em....

That was good for more than 100 pounds and some self-esteem here!....

Wow.... I'm impressed with your dedication and weight loss. I, too, am only walking and have successfully lost about 30 lbs in 4 months. (4-6x/week) I average 3-4 miles each time and also incorporate a "modest calorie deficit". It works!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 10,000 steps plus daily since last November and was at my weight goal mid-May.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm almost down 35 pounds by strictly walking every day for 35-40 minutes with my dog.

I'll bet your dog is happier too : D

he looks forward to his walk every day lol!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting this time around, but I previously lost about 80 lbs with walking as my main form of exercise. I was keeping a deficit (eating between 1400 and 1800 depending on my activity level, I started at 210 and finished at about 135) and I lost about 80 lbs in 10 months. I was walking about 2 hours a day combined, though (committed to it being most of my work commute when I lived in NYC) and I walk fast so it was quite a lot of exercise.

ETA: That was in 2004. I've been lifting as my main form of exercise now, and am a smaller size today at almost 160 than I was at 135. I enjoyed walking, that's part of the reason it was so easy for me to stick with it, but I am spending a lot less time now to look a lot better.
  • ctuongle82
    ctuongle82 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, I walk daily for 5-9 miles with the speed of 3 mph. I have lost more than 20 lbs already. You have to watch the calorie intake as well.
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    This is inspiring Maqneta! I hoped to walk for 30 minutes today but only got in 20. But that's great considering I weight 70 pounds more than I did when I was walking daily a few years ago. Hmmm, might be a relationship there.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    According to the Internet, I'd have to be walking in Memphis (from Nashville) to lose 4 pounds. That's over 200 miles.
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Works! I've lost 20lb so far! Like the thread fellow walkers!!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I don't know about losing, but I've always been better at maintaining weight when I walk. I used to walk all the time when I was 17-19. And I didn't struggle with weight at all. It wasn't until 20 that I started struggling with weight - the same year I stopped walking.

I walk all the time now, and it seems to help great with maintenance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!