Is this okay?

Options

Replies

• V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i like this guy. I wish i was this confident. He didnt say anything creepy so i dont see any reason to be alarmed
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't make too much of it. Maybe he was trying to offer you a bit of advice or maybe he simply wanted a reason to talk to you lol.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it weird that people get stressed about social contacts. People seem to imagine these invisible walls around themselves and then get upset when someone walks right through them. If you want to be alone than don't go out in public. If you go out in public you are no longer alone.

I think it's weird that people get stressed about spiders in their house, or the fact that their husband brought them an ice cream sundae. *shrug*
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see the big deal. I would've brushed it off - or taken his advice into consideration, either one.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Out of line. He was probably just trying to hit on you, but how you lift is none of his business. If he really wanted to give you some advice he should have prefaced with: "Hi, can I offer a suggestion?" Where you would have the opportunity to say "no."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Personally, OP, I'd be annoyed but not offended. I've had people offer me unsolicited advice before and generally if you just say thanks they go away.

That said, I lift at home now.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I've always thought it weird that people get stressed about social contacts. People seem to imagine these invisible walls around themselves and then get upset when someone walks right through them. If you want to be alone than don't go out in public. If you go out in public you are no longer alone.

I think it's weird that people get stressed about spiders in their house, or the fact that their husband brought them an ice cream sundae. *shrug*

And when they ask if it's OK to feel that way, you'll render that opinion as we have here. :wink:
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Out of line? meh, probably not

In the d---bag? Most Certainly
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

And when they ask if it's OK to feel that way, you'll render that opinion as we have here. :wink:

Yep. :wink:
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    We have a dude like that in my gym. He is huge, super vocal when he lifts, and goes over to offer advice to every girl, and a few guys in the gym. Surprisingly though, he actually gives good advice, and will help people with form trouble.

Like the others said he was likely trying to find an in to talk to you, but his advice might have still been solid. Too much elbow flare is a common issue on presses, and can lead to a shoulder injury.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thats not how this works, that not how any of this works ...........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I LOVE that commercial!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Advice is only helpful if it is asked for.
    Advice says one thing..."BE more like me"

and that IS my philosophy when the dispensation of "A-D-V-I-C-E" is the subject of conversation.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Ignore, and keep doing what you were doing. If he says something next time, don't even bother glancing his way, and tell him to keep it down this time.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I would just say thanks and move on.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think it would have been different if maybe I had bad form and he were trying to prevent injury and not just telling me I should do a different lift to hit a different muscle, I didn't have my ear-buds in, if I had ever seen him before anywhere, or if I had asked for his advice. I didn't take his advice, but I might do some research and possibly give it a try eventually if I feel it's necessary. I'm not a pro in the gym by any means and had just never experienced this before and wanted to see what others thought.
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    Sounds kinda like a d-bag and he was trying to hit on you. Seems pretty harmless and I wouild not be offended. Unless, of course, he was looking at you like this...

5cdmkk.gif
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    What he spoke directly to you? How dare him, off with his head!!! Both of them!!
    I guess he could be a DB, was he all like “Night at the Roxbury” DB looking? If so run! But seriously, regardless of his motivation I wouldn’t let it bother you. Perhaps even give his advice a try, DB’s can be right too.
    I personally, would not give someone unsolicited advice unless I saw them doing something that could prove detrimental to their health or mine but that’s just me.
    Although I must admit, if a guy came up to me and said something about getting that sexy, straight V in the back I might be a little alarmed too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If that was the VERY first interaction- I would have gladly said- oh you like the way this all looks? (points to self)

(usually it gets a smile or a nod)

And then I say- well thanks- I got here without you- what makes you think I need your input? but thanks anyway- enjoy your workout."

Walking up to a complete stranger without introducing yourself or ASKING if they would like some advice- esp if you aren't doing something extremely potentially damaging- is wrong- and insulting. I wouldn't be offended- just wildly annoyed.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Guys are fixers, even if you don't appreciate it. They will comment to just about anyone.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    unsolicited advice from creepy grunty man ...

eww