Muscle Building

Options
Hi everyone.
I am working on putting on muscle and I was hoping for some guidance. I just started lifting weights again but I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to help out.
I am 42 years old. I weight around 146 lbs. 5'11".

I understand protein is important and I should be around 85 a day.

Any other input would be great!
Thanks

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What is your lifting regime? - Are you following a progressive overload programme?

How many calories are you eating? - you need to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle.

How did you arrive at the figure of 85 g protein? - the usual recommendation is 0.8 to 1.0 g per lb body weight.
  • wawickline
    wawickline Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The protein I received from a GNC store around here. Seems to be different answers to that question. :(

Lifting, I am lifting really as many times as I can (usually 10 times) in 2 or 3 reps, about 3 times a day.

As for calories, I just really started counting them again.

What is a progressive overload program?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3 times a day?

Is that right?

Progressive lifting program: you are lifting more than you did the week before- hence- progression.

Starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves.(although designed for women and butts specifically its' not a bad program all in all)

all great progressive lifting programs.

You need one if you want to build muscle.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    I am working on putting on muscle and I was hoping for some guidance. I just started lifting weights again but I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to help out.

Thanks

pound of protien per pound of body wieght....so I would eat 146 grams
  • wawickline
    wawickline Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Thanks

pound of protien per pound of lean mass....so I would eat 146 grams

fixed that for you.
    most average people anything over 100 is fine. Large guys anything over 150 is good. sure getting 200 grams is awesome- but its not realistically going to stall you out if you only get 125.

It's a rule of thumb- not an exact number.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Thanks

First, good for you on lifting.

My advise is this. Figure out what you are wanting to do, and what you are trying to accomplish. THEN, and only then, find what exercises and type of exercises it takes, and what you need to be doing to reach that goal.

Me, its bodybuilder training all the way. High rep counts, I train hard and isolate body parts. I lift for the pump.

Most importantly, don`t make it a job. And don`t over think everything and generate stress for yourself. Have fun with it and enjoy what you are doing.

p.s. And protein, right now I`m in 200 to 230 range
  • alexwin21
    alexwin21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jorocka did recommend some good programs, I really like the Westside Barbell Congugate method. Does wonders to your strength and frequency is only about 3-4 times a week. Nutrition is a very big factor when it comes to building muscle, obviously a calorie surplus is needed. Carbs, not just protein should also be emphasized. Carbs allow your body to produce insulin which is a very anabolic hormone and that means getting size