who has a great sweet & spicy asian style sauce?

Options
212ackley
212ackley Posts: 431 Member
I love sweet and spicy asian style sauces but can't seem to perfect one at home...who's got a great recipe to share?

Replies

• Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't know but there's sugar in the recipe for sure! I had some great sweet & sour Thai calamari this week at a restaurant but thankfully I didn' t go over!

The calamari was steamed, in sweet and sour Thai peanut sauce. There was cilantro in the recipe and a bit of lime. Very good, but it was also very sweet.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Bumpity bump! Hoping there are some more replies!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I use this as a glaze on meat. I got it from www.skinnytaste.com

3 tbsp sweet red chili sauce
    1 tbsp raw honey
    1 - 2 tsp Sriracha (I used 2, use more if you like it hot)
    optional, chopped chives for garnish

They also have an amazing Thai peanut noodle recipe on there. Love that website.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not spicy, but I got the best and easiest sweet and sour chicken recipe:

3-5 chicken breast
    salt and pepper
    1 cup cornstarch
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup canola oil

Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way and then into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place in baking dish. 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 but 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9x13.

Sauce:
    3/4 cups white sugar
    4 Tablespoons ketchup
    1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
    1 Tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic salt

Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.
  • cheyennehoyt
    cheyennehoyt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/06/sweet-n-spicy-asian-glazed-grilled.html

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/07/asian-dipping-sauce/

http://www.asianskinny.com/skinny-dipping-pt-2-three-easy-asian-sauces/

Here are a few links with recipes that look rather promising.
    I did notice that many of these recipes call for soy sauce, which usually contains a lot of sodium...try opting for a lower sodium option, and watch out for MSG! That should help to keep the sauce on the healthier side. =)
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use this as a glaze on meat. I got it from www.skinnytaste.com

3 tbsp sweet red chili sauce
    1 tbsp raw honey
    1 - 2 tsp Sriracha (I used 2, use more if you like it hot)
    optional, chopped chives for garnish

They also have an amazing Thai peanut noodle recipe on there. Love that website.

I have to give this a shot!
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love the sweet chili sauce so I will have to try adding honey and sriracha! Sounds great! Might be just what I was looking for :)

Keep the recipes coming -- I do love to try new ones.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also made a marinade with sweet chilli sauce (the hot variety) and added a little lemon juice, soy sauce, ground cumin, ground coriander (cilantro in us?) and finely chopped garlic.

If you wanted it more sweet you could remove the soy or add some honey and for more heat add some fresh chilli or chilli powder. You could also add some form of vinegar or shaoxing rice wine if you like (I don't like the vinegary taste, but it's used in a lot of asian sauces.)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ...ummm...asians?
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great with grilled chicken, shrimp or fish. This makes about a cup of sauce and will keep in the refrigerator for some time. The ginger pieces that simmer in the sugar-syrup can be removed and left out to dry in a bowl in the fridge to make candied ginger. We also add a kaffir lime leaf to the sauce which can be hard to find except in an Asian market. We have a kaffir lime tree just for cooking.

Ginger-Lime Dipping Sauce

1 cup sugar
    1 cup water
    1 cup peeled, thinly sliced, fresh ginger
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/3 cup cilantro leaves
    3 tablespoons lime juice
    1 fresh green Thai chile, seeded, roughly chopped* A jalapeno pepper works well, too.
    2 tablespoons roughly chopped green onion, green part only
    *Can be found in Asian markets or produce shops
    Special equipment: a fine sieve
    Put sugar, water, ginger, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and reduce to a syrupy consistency (about 15 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve, discard ginger, reserve liquid, and let cool.
    In a small food processor, pulse cilantro, lime juice, chile, and green onion (about 30 seconds). Add ginger syrup and pulse until combined.
  • newjensoon
    newjensoon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump for later use. Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • pierremignon
    pierremignon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Four cloves of garlic, minced
    1/3 cup tomato ketchup
    1/3 cup honey (I like mine sweet)
    1/4 cup chili garlic paste
    1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    red chili flakes (optional)

Cook the garlic in a pan with a little bit of oil. If you like it spicier, add chili flakes together with the garlic. When it's turned golden brown, add all the other ingredients. Make sure you're simmering the sauce under low heat so it doesn't burn. The sauce is really thick but very flavorful so you're not gonna need to pour so much on your plate. :)