Running Shoes

Options

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.
    That is the first time I have ever heard that and I think it is is absurd.

Maybe you always wore shoes a size too small in your lifetime.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I second getting fitted for a proper pair of shoes from a running store. Once you know which type of shoe works best for you, you can always explore different places to purchase your shoes. If it is a good store, they will not be pushy to buy the most expensive shoe, they will want you running in an appropriate shoe.

On another note, be very careful with the vibram/barefoot approach. It takes some time to ease into them if you have never worn them before and it could cost you some training time.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend sticking with the recommendation of getting fitted at a running store. Perhaps there are other ones in the area where you could price compare?

My first pair was $110, and I think there are some quality options in that range. I bought them in the running store the first time since they spent the time to fit me and help me find the shoes that work for me. I can now find them online much more cheaply when I need a new pair (I stick to the same brand/model) - I've gotten them as low as $60 but usually $70-80 or so.

I think it's very important to invest in a shoes that will fit you well, especially with that kind of distance running.

ETA: I would be cautious with recommendations such as "Always buy a size up". Suggestions like these may work for some people, but I have never done that personally. I think it's important to do what works for you.. the shape of your foot, pronation, etc, may be completely different from someone else.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Get one size larger than you normally wear. Even though I got "fitted" at a running store they failed to catch this. I didn't know this until I started researching why my toe nails were all black and falling off.

My shoes are one size bigger than my foot measured. My foot measured exactly a 7, so I feel this makes sense, especially given how hot my area gets in the summer. Things are going to swell.
  • moniker_74
    moniker_74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yep, I like the Wright running socks that have two layers so you don't get blisters. Sometimes they have them for very good prices on Amazon.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

No, this is actually a legit concern for marathoners and ultras as some find their feet expand overtime due to the excessive pounding mileage on them. Half-marathoners not so much though, wouldn't worry about it.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing the same brand and make of shoe forever. I now get them on a website called 6pm.com. I get last year's model of shoe, which retailed for $150 when it first came out, for $60. I bought two pairs and still paid way less than retail for one. It's basically the clearance site for Zappo's, so you can't always choose the color you want and there are no returns, but I'm a boy and don't care what color my shoes are and my shoes haven't changed appreciably in terms of fit in a decade.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yep, I like the Wright running socks that have two layers so you don't get blisters. Sometimes they have them for very good prices on Amazon.

I would have never thought to get running socks too, but that makes sense.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Once you find the right shoe, you can often find great deals on the shoes you love on amazon or ebay. A friend of mine bought a pair of her favorite disontinued model for about 15-20% of the running store price.
  • thesmallestpineapple
    thesmallestpineapple Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you're happy with what you're running in at the moment then I'd just keep wearing whatever those are for now... keep an eye out for sales and pop into a shop when things are a bit cheaper to try on all the shoes and get a nice shiny new pair then.

If you start having aches or pain though then a new pair of shoes is definitely a good idea, and they are expensive but it's worth paying the silly shop prices for the ability to try things on for size (and maybe go up half/a whole size) and a lot of places will have a treadmill so you can have a feel for what they would be like to run in.

Good luck with the half... it's my favourite distance!
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I say barefoot, I mean barefoot. Not minimalist, although I do have Vibrams. No shoes is just easier. No socks, no sweaty feet. You have eyes, so you don't need to be afraid of glass (just don't jump on it and you'll be fine!).

I agree that you do need to start slow with barefoot running, but to put it in perspective, I'm doing ~ 6 mi a week right now mixed run/walk barefoot and I started 3 weeks ago running, and probably 2 months ago barefooting in the evenings (walking).

I'm not a NEW barefoot runner; I stopped a while back because of some personal issues (stopped everything really, and started cramming my face with food). I just can't go back to shoes. Don't get me wrong, I play soccer and wear cleats, and I work in a lab and wear shoes, but there's just something that feels so amazing about you and your feet on the earth.

But yes, if you're going for shoes at all, get fitted. They might still cause problems later. If they do, remember barefooting ;)
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am doing a program to train for a half marathon. The program highly suggests getting fitted for good running shoes from a specific store. I looked on the store's website and was shocked how expensive the shoes are. This will be the first thing I have trained for - running wise - so I want to have what I need to succeed, but I'm also wondering if this is just a great marketing ploy for the store. Do any runners out there have any suggestions or rules of thumb when it comes to buying footwear?

Yes get fitted. Everyones feet are different. Some people pronate, some people supinate and some people are neutral. Having the wrong type of shoe for your feet can lead to injury.

Shoes also wear out...the recommended wear on a shoe is about 500 miles plus or minus (depends on the shoe, the person, their weight, their running environment (gravel/snow/ice/concrete etc). Also remember that just because a shoe looks new, doesn't mean you haven't worn out the support on the shoe. They do take a beating slamming into the pavement a few thousand times per mile.

Yes, quality shoes are more expensive. But once you know what you need... you can order them for less online.

If you spend money on anything for running, your shoes are probably the single most important piece of equipment you can buy. There are a few ways you can save money... your shoes should not be one of them.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should absolutely get fitted from a proper running store. Most are owned and operated by runners, and their goal is to get you into the right pair of shoes for you. Sure, you could go to one of the big box stores and buy a bottom of the line pair of shoes for a lot less, but in the end it is not worth it if you end up with injuries down the road. In running there are two things that are worth the investment in money - good shoes, and good socks - don't skimp. Now, you do not have to use the store recommended by the half marathon people. You could research into other stores in your area. But honestly, if the store is recommended by other runners, it is likely a good bet. As for the expense, yes good running shoes can be expensive, but again it's worth it if it keeps you from unnecessary pain or injury. A good store will spend a decent amount of time with you analyzing your gait, making recommendations, watching you try out multiple pairs of shoes. You could cost compare online, but I know that the two places I use charge no more than if I were to buy the shoes directly from the manufacturer's website. And I get 10% off as a return customer. And if I am not happy after running in the shoes they recommend, they take them back, no questions asked.

Ethically speaking, I have to say that if you spend time getting analyzed and fitted at the store and they recommend a shoe that you like, buy it from them. The store is providing a free service, which can sometimes take as long as thirty minutes. I just think it is wrong to take advantage of the service, and then buy the shoe elsewhere. Now, after the first pair......one you know exactly what shoe you wear, check on amazon for future replacements. In fact, as soon as the new model of my current shoe comes out, I check out amazon for deals on my shoe that is now considered a discontinued model.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    there is a lot of marketing that goes on with shoes naturally, so yea some brands are more hype than others..as far as expensive...they arent all that much more than the top brands of any other shoes these days.

+1

But, unlike basketball, you can't find $275 running shoes very easily...
    Nike Lebrons Elite are $275! Foot Locker sells 67 Nike basketball shoes that cost over $150.
    As for soccer, D.I.ck's sells at least 48 cleats that MSPR for $199.99 or more

Asics makes a $200 running shoe. Nike a $180 running shoe. Maybe they'd be $250 if they were Lebron or Messi running shoes ;)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shop to be properly fitted for trainers that are a match for your gait, it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific shop, there will likely be at least a couple you can go to.
    Once you've bought your first pair, you can go online for the next pair (remember and get new shoes every 400-600 miles, which will build up quite quickly during training, I'm a new pair every 6mnths)!!
  • monicagellarbing
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

http://zenhabits.net/barefoot-running/

Also, there's a "Society for Barefoot Living" on facebook and possible a barefoot runner's group in your town.

Interesting alternative! I'll look into this. Thank you all for the suggestions - really helpful.

Be careful with this -- barefoot running is really popular but if not done properly, can lead to injuries because your feet cant handle the training plus the adjustment. Are you mid way through half marathon training? Just starting out? Your feet need time to adjust to minimal or barefoot shoes.

Running doesn't cost a lot, so if you can invest in proper shoes, it will make a big difference
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You should consider barefoot running. Not only is it cheaper, but it teaches your body proper form so that you don't get hurt halfway through training. Barefoot runners don't get plantar fasciitis, or shin splints, or any of the diseases shoes are supposed to prevent or heal. Check out this and many other resources (google BF running!) to get started:

http://zenhabits.net/barefoot-running/

Also, there's a "Society for Barefoot Living" on facebook and possible a barefoot runner's group in your town.

Don't forget about the Barefoot Running Society. http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/

Another similar option is running in Huaraches which are much cheaper than conventional running shoes. You can even make your own if you're feeling creative.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Been barefoot running about three of the four years I've been running now. Before that, the first year was spent figuring out what I was doing and going from injury to injury. The majority of which were resolved with the barefoot/natural running form. There is also a convenience that goes with barefoot running which feels freeing. I got very used to that and don't think I'll ever change now.

I have huaraches for when I need them as they're the next best thing to barefoot for me. The "shoe" is a tool and it's important to have the right tool for the job.

If you go with conventional running shoes be sure to get fitted like everyone else is saying. Keep in mind though that as a new runner, you're still evolving the nuances of your running technique. It is this that the running store that will be looking at though when they make their recommendations. As a result, it may not be the best fit bio-mechanically and may even encourage bad form as you compensate for the corrections the shoe is trying to make. One solution to this I've heard is start with a neutral shoe until you're a more experienced runner.

Another solution would be to learn barefoot running along with shod running. Using barefoot running as a training and strengthening tool could be very beneficial. I've heard this is not uncommon among sprinters. (don't know if that's true though)

I had a runner I was helping with some ankle problems. He didn't mind the barefoot running but preferred shoes. After working together on it a bit he incorporated periodic barefoot short runs to build strength along with a shoe that promoted mid-foot strikes. Now he's running 4-5 mile sessions regularly when before he struggled with 2-3.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    Hi! I am doing a program to train for a half marathon. The program highly suggests getting fitted for good running shoes from a specific store. I looked on the store's website and was shocked how expensive the shoes are. This will be the first thing I have trained for - running wise - so I want to have what I need to succeed, but I'm also wondering if this is just a great marketing ploy for the store. Do any runners out there have any suggestions or rules of thumb when it comes to buying footwear?

ASICS OFF TRAIL, GREAT SHOES!!!
  • erinjruns
    erinjruns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not to be completely silly, but barefoot running only works in some parts of the country. I only know of one runner in Dallas that runs barefoot at races and even he owns a pair of shoes because, in his words, "If it's hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement, I'm putting on a pair of running shoes." Sadly, that's about four solid months in Texas.